Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rapidshare

Options
  • 21-02-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

I'm a big torrent downloader but i've heard a lot about this rapidshare thing and that I can download numerous links all at max speed and that they are also usually great quality. I know I have to pay 50 quid for the year but it seems worth it. I know a lad who uses it and he said it's brill. But is there anyone here who uses it and can tell me how it works??? I've never used a download manager before and was wonderin do i need this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

i have used it in the past...for downloading 'legal' stuff:);) a very handy site..well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

Legal stuff of course...

How exactly does it work??

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭celtboy1888

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RapidShare

people put stuff up on site...you pay to get it..well you pay to get it at faster rates than others..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Rapidshare is a file hosting service when you can store your files online. Each file you store on rapidshare will have a unique download link which you can share with others if you want, to allow them to download your file. Copyright laws apply to rapidshare too!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭userfriendly2

Thanks guys nice one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

It's a great service and well worth the money.
    You get 5gb daily allowance which you can build up to 25gb and between 01.00 and 08.00 they have happy hours when what you download only takes 10% from your allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I wouldn't bother buying the membership, rapidshare is becoming the new piratebay, and while the piratebay didnt even host the files, rapidshare does, so I can see it getting shutdown any month now. Just type in any song name (or just about anything) into google and you get spammed with rapidshare search engines.

On top of this when you sign up, your leaving indisputable proof of what you are downloading, It would probably take all of 5 seconds for them to make a list with your name and address on top of it and all the stuff you`ve downloaded underneath it. Id imagine there is alot more work figuring it out from torrents, and getting a complete list would be very hard. Of course if its legal stuff I`m sure you`ll be fine :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Newsgroups>Rapidshare

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Newsgroups>Rapidshare

Back in the day IRC was king, dunno if it is anymore though..

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Diddy Kong

From the RapidShare privacy policy
    Will RapidShare communicate information about the files a customer has downloaded to third parties?

* No. RapidShare does not store this information. Accordingly, we could not pass on this information, even if we wanted to. The prohibition of such logs is an inherent part of the contract for all our customers and we don't handle this differently for those who use the Free hosting either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

imitation wrote: »
    Back in the day IRC was king, dunno if it is anymore though..

Yes it is. Although it is a little more expensive, but not much The choice and quality is much better. Stuff gets uploaded to usenet first, before RS. There is no chance of it being removed before I get to download it (which happens with RS).

Diddy Kong wrote: »
    From the RapidShare privacy policy

I wouldnt trust them as far as I could throw them, and when information is all going back to a centralised server there is more than one way to see whos downloading what.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

They are located in Germany, are a thriving business, remove links to copyrighted material on their own and by request. Nobody can try to sue them as they themselves are not doing anything wrong. And to compare this to Piratebay is a little off, pirate bay became a political point and as always happens in went in favor of the politicians. This was nobody's fault but its owners who deliberately made it a political point.

Rapidshare.com is a large scale business and is willing to put its money and lawyers where its mouth is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I'm a big torrent downloader but i've heard a lot about this rapidshare thing and that I can download numerous links all at max speed and that they are also usually great quality. I know I have to pay 50 quid for the year but it seems worth it. I know a lad who uses it and he said it's brill. But is there anyone here who uses it and can tell me how it works??? I've never used a download manager before and was wonderin do i need this??

I'd highly recommend rs for all your downloading needs use free download manager to manage the downloads really handy for batch downloads. You'll also need to find a good forum for links, I'll air on the side of caution and not post any links here however a quick google search will get ya what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 h4ck573r

if you wish to pay for "legal" stuff download, take usenext than, it is nice and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Rapidshare,well worth the money

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I wouldn't pay for a year membership as someone already posted that as bit torrent sites are being shut down, rapidshare is a highly likely candidate to be closed soon enough. Perhaps end of year or next year. Afaik they host the files on their servers so they would be more likely responsible than torrent users. But other than that it is a good service for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Ronan Keating

What kind of legal stuff would you be paying for exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Yawns wrote: »
    I wouldn't pay for a year membership as someone already posted that as bit torrent sites are being shut down, rapidshare is a highly likely candidate to be closed soon enough. Perhaps end of year or next year. Afaik they host the files on their servers so they would be more likely responsible than torrent users. But other than that it is a good service for now

Lets make this very clear. Pirate bay didn't host files on their servers, but they did flaunt the fact that they were pointing towards copyrighted material. This lead to bad press and the eventual court case. Which is still in appeals I believe after the huge level of bias that was placed on the case by the judge.

Rapidshare.com delete any reported materials. They are in reality no different than youtube, facebook, boards.ie or any other user generated content. They don't take responsibility for files/content uploaded by users but will remove them upon request or on internal checks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Crasher12

Hi everybody,
    I found new fileserver.
    airspeedfiles.com

Does anybody know it?
    What's your experience?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

On a kinda related topic, what dl managers do you guys use?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Internet download manager is what I've always been using, rs is king. Dow loaded 26 gig there last Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

jDownloader FTW. It's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I use jdownloader...its great.
    They download in rar files and jdownloader extracts them into avi format (once you have winrar of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I use Universal Share Downloader, it queues up the links you copy into it and downloads them when they're ready, sure it takes longer but it's free!

Site is Russian but under the screenshots are the download links, with (7.2MB) beside them.
    http://www.dimonius.ru/?usd

As for rapidshare it's not great as it used to be, I get a lot of these errors:
    "Currently a lot of users are downloading files."

Sosa wrote: »
    I use jdownloader...its great.
    They download in rar files and jdownloader extracts them into avi format (once you have winrar of course)

Also, once you highlight and copy the links you want jDownloader will 'grab' them for you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are located in Germany, are a thriving business, remove links to copyrighted material on their own and by request. Nobody can try to sue them as they themselves are not doing anything wrong. And to compare this to Piratebay is a little off, pirate bay became a political point and as always happens in went in favor of the politicians. This was nobody's fault but its owners who deliberately made it a political point.

Rapidshare.com is a large scale business and is willing to put its money and lawyers where its mouth is.

You keep believing that, it will be a target and rightly so as you can't continue to operate a business when the vast majority of it is based on users downloading copyright material

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Bigdeadlydave

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Also, once you highlight and copy the links you want jDownloader will 'grab' them for you.
    Is that free and does it boost download speed?

Is that free and does it boost download speed?

Yeah it's free. Just 'Google' it.

I find it fast - way faster than speed download - which I was using on my old Macbook.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I use FDM. I don't have an opinion on what is the 'best' etc, I just use it out of familiarity and because I have it all set up the way I like it. Works with my rapidshare premium accounts just fine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement