Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What pub to watch the <any sport> match in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Does the Kings Head still have a massive screen downstairs? I watched a big game in there years ago & the place was hopping for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Kings Head still has the screen yea.

Personally I don't like the bigger pubs for matches, much prefer the likes of Dew Drop and....actually that's probably the only place I've found I like for football.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I imagine every pub will be full up. If I were to watch at the Dew Drop, about how early would you recommend getting there to snag a good spot?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

RGM wrote: »
    I imagine every pub will be full up. If I were to watch at the Dew Drop, about how early would you recommend getting there to snag a good spot?

An hour before hand, get the RTE pre-match build up in :pac:

Chances are you'll be standing up, which is no bad thing. You'll still get a grand view. All the irish matches are on in the evening too, meaning the pubs are more likely to be full.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    An hour before hand, get the RTE pre-match build up in :pac:

Only reason to watch the Euros.

• Advertisement

RGM wrote: »

In for the start of the Italy vs Spain game of course or your not doing it right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Any truth to the rumour i heard last night that there was going to be a screen put up in the middle of eyre square tonight , i called bullsh*t but the guy who told me was insistent & inebriated so it must be true

Anyone find somewhere decent to watch the match? Was in O Connells and was pretty disappointed. Wasn't even half full and not much atmosphere at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Jim wrote: »
    Anyone find somewhere decent to watch the match? Was in O Connells and was pretty disappointed. Wasn't even half full and not much atmosphere at all.
    I was in O'Connells yesterday too. I think they really missed a golden opportunity by not having a screen setup in the beer garden. As it was I ended up in Monroe's for both matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

Great athmosphere in buskers last nite, packed!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Was in Kelly's for the game, great set up. Projector upstairs, 2 downstairs and a few big tvs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

Another for The Skeff, was just in there today and wasn't too busy and good few places to watch the game from. I think a band will be playing after the second game tonight as well. Heard they are supposed to be pretty good :)

Mactard wrote: »
    Was in Kelly's for the game, great set up. Projector upstairs, 2 downstairs and a few big tvs too.
    Was upstairs good? I was thinking they'd have it open.

Yea, I think O Connells have the perfect set up for a big screen outside. Pity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Brad768 wrote: »
    Another for The Skeff, was just in there today and wasn't too busy and good few places to watch the game from. I think a band will be playing after the second game tonight as well. Heard they are supposed to be pretty good :)

Skeff Was buzzing last night. Packed! Band were very good and was great craic.. A huge crowd moved to outside after the game great atmosphere!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Jim wrote: »
    Was upstairs good? I was thinking they'd have it open.

Yeah, the place was busy and there was a good atmosphere, good range of viewing angles and not much of a queue at the upstairs bar. I'd go back for the spain game anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Brad768

cgpg5 wrote: »
    Skeff Was buzzing last night. Packed! Band were very good and was great craic.. A huge crowd moved to outside after the game great atmosphere!

Aye had friends out last night and they said it was the best night out they had in months. They also said how empty it was as soon as the game was over :P

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭buzz11

I was impressed with massive screen in Oslo but the place was packed... but I only stayed for first half so don't know if it emptied out after the game...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was in The King's Head for the Ireland-Croatia match. Cracking atmosphere. It was packed, with most people standing up watching the big screen downstairs. But I think that really added to the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Can this sticky be removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure thang :)

Any followup discussion or whatnot, use Soccer under Sports section.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hey guys, wondering if you could recommend a good pub to watch the Real Barca match in the city. There's a big group of us and preferably not too expensive, thanks :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭JohnDee

Try Fagans (Hotel Meyrick - Eyre Sq.), TVs all over and I think they dish up buckets of chips etc during games (???). Not sure about price of pints though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Garveys opposite the train station.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Rickos

Hi there,

Would anyone know of a good bar in town that will definitely be showing the Newcastle v Benfica game next week?

I believe it will be on the UK channels, ITV or ITV4?

Many thanks for your help.

Richard

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Rickos wrote: »
    Hi there,

Would anyone know of a good bar in town that will definitely be showing the Newcastle v Benfica game next week?

Richard

I'm not sure if football is shown on ITV 4 over here but Fagan's normally has a good selection of channels if it's not on "normal" tv

juicet3rry wrote: »
    I'm not sure if football is shown on ITV 4 over here but Fagan's normally has a good selection of channels if it's not on "normal" tv

Thanks for that.

I might give Fagan's a wide berth. Last time I was in there was back in 2009, again over on holiday, for the Villa v Newcastle game. We got relegated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭juicet3rry

Are you sure that wasn't JFK's fault? Note, I wouldn't dream of upsetting the Toon Army by blaming Shearer.

Other shouts would be the Cellar, Garvey's or even the Kings Head. If you're drinking pints i'd avoid the Kings head or just stick on bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Rickos wrote: »
    Hi there,

Richard

If you're in town over the weekend drop into Fagans as they usually post the sports schedule for the next week.

antoobrien wrote: »
    If you're in town over the weekend drop into Fagans as they usually post the sports schedule for the next week.

Will do. I get there on Tuesday so can take a look then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,984 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

The Salthouse have recently begun to show matches and have a chalkboard with details up for the week usually.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement