Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What pub to watch the <any sport> match in?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭eyresquare

Reading through this thread, Is Fagan's still open? And if so, where abouts is it?

No Fagans sports bar has been closed around a year now I think...It reopened as a restaurant called Oyster Grill. It is located at the bottom of Eyre Square in the Meyrick Hotel.

I think currently the best place to watch a match during the day is if the Cellar downstairs is open, and if not the Pucan would be second choice if they have the back open with the projector. Both places are kind of hit and miss as to when they are actually open.

Also now that the Six Nations has started up its hard to find places that cater for both sports that are on simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

buzz11 wrote: »
    How do ya mean?

Bar the extra 'the' typo whats not to understand? The picture in the Oslo in my experience always seems grainy and of very poor quality in comparison to elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Watched the game in the in th e Pucan, down the back. Very lively. I was surrounded by big fat gooners. What a happy Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

An Pucan really is the only place to watch a game these days .. Great atmosphere there (Even if the games on Saturday were not exactly classics)

I suppose it would be a waste of time going into any pubs in Galway for the Spurs/chelsea game. Coverage starting on sky sports at 2.30pm, kick off 4pm.

With the Rugby kicking off at 3pm and ending at 4.30 approx I cant see many pubs catering for the football at this time. I would like someone to tell me I am wrong and point me to somewhere the match is on and not playing second fiddle to the Rugby?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I heard Skeff will show it on the small screen in the corner on the left as you walk in. Turn up early though and have enough time to ask around Eyre Square.

I heard Skeff will show it on the small screen in the corner on the left as you walk in. Turn up early though and have enough time to ask around Eyre Square.

Thanks Diabhal, but sitting in the corner watching on small screen is not an option, probably won't be able to hear anything either. I will watch it at home if nothing better turns up.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tenacious-me

Was in the Oslo on Sunday, really good screen, it was a bit disrespectful that they turned off the audio while the English anthem played.

I can only imagine the uproar if an English pub did the same for the Irish anthem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Was in the Oslo on Sunday, really good screen, it was a bit disrespectful that they turned off the audio while the English anthem played.

I can only imagine the uproar if an English pub did the same for the Irish anthem

That is lousy. Though, I'd imagine the rage would be a little different. At least through history, England was the instigator and agressor but nevertheless, I'm with you. They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Was there and we were joking that they'd turned the anthem down, thought it was a technical problem. Then it came back the second it finished... We realised then it was no accident. Love the place to bits but that was poor form

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

One of the great achievements of Irish self rule is censorship, is it not grand to see this still is being maintained. Reminds me of Galway library in the 60s where lines & paragraphs used to be excised by borrowers. And then there was that old revolutionary Frank Aitken who during the Emergency made the Irish Times change reference to 'the Pope' to 'His Holiness Pope Pius XII'.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭gambler12

So where would ye recommend to watch the rugby on Saturday? I'm looking for somewhere with good HD screens and to be able to hear the commentary. Preferably in Salthill but I can go into town if needs be either. Would Oslo in salthill do the job ??

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oslo yeah, possibly KRCMA.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Lorikeet111

Is there any pubs in galway city that show football games that are not live on Sky or BT? For example the United and Villa game this weekend? Is there a pub that has the foreign channels?

mayweather, pacquiao fight is saturday night, i know its on at 4 in the morning but did any pub in town look for an extended licence?

Possibly Garavan's on the corner at the square. Call in and check.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

You mean Garveys?

Cant imagine being open at 4am on Sunday and trying to keep the drunks out - messy!

Ya Garveys is what i was thinking too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,983 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ya Garveys is what i was thinking too

You would want to be in there early and see if they will let ye stay but its not overly likely. Garavans on Shop St definitely wont be showing it :cool:

Yeah Garvey's, sorry bout that folks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Garvey's didn't show the last McGregor fight (after much begging and pleading by a merry audience) which was a similar time in the morning so I doubt 4ish on a Sunday morning is going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi,

Where is a good spot to watch FA Cup final in Galway city centre?

Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Merged with mahoosive where to watch [sport] thread

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

I've heard a few Arsenal fans I know talking about going to The Dew Drop Inn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Where's a good spot to watch the Ireland Scotland game this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Looking for somewhere to watch premiership football. Do Mcgethigans or the new place on woodquay (place that does the pizza) have large screens?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Inmyownworld

dinneenp wrote: »
    Looking for somewhere to watch premiership football. Do Mcgethigans or the new place on woodquay (place that does the pizza) have large screens?

Foleys in Woodquay? They've two screens at least and seem to always Put on whatever sports going, on their FB page.

McGettigans have loads of screens for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Mapaputsi

dinneenp wrote: »

The King's Head is a decent place to watch Premiership football if you manage to get one of the tables near the big screen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Try Monroes

Maybe you can email them to show Prem League as well as Rugby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Mapaputsi wrote: »
    The King's Head is a decent place to watch Premiership football if you manage to get one of the tables near the big screen

I'd imagine big screen will be showing Ireland v Canada in RWC

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement