Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very Interesting!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Fintomiginto

This is a humongous kick in the scrotum for the BDO.

His comment about the Winmau Masters was particularly cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

just seen that, fair play to barry hearn once again!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I don't think that the BDO spots in the Grand Slam should have been cut. The whole attraction to that tournament is because of the mixing between the two codes. There is going to be even less BDO players in it now which will only take away from the tournament in my opinion.

As for the rest we will have to wait and see. I am very much on the fence with respect to the Pro Tour card. Personally I would have preferred for the Pro Tour events to remain open to anyone to give people the chance of actually making it. If the Pro Tour Qualifiers are going to be a one off tournament then that's a ridiculous decision because one slice of luck can determine you not making it into the tour and having to wait an entire year.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Dessiemc27

agree with all of this king p. Bad decision to cut the winmau world masters places as this reduces the bdo involvement. What next???? Barry Hearn feels the Lakeside world championship is of a poorer standard than of the pdc version and will cut all semi finalsist participation from entering the grand slam from 2011?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

well to be fair, if the standard and quality is that much lower, why bother inviting them to professional tournaments, i think he has got it right.

Out with the winmau which traditionally heralds a rejection from Wolfie Adams and in with the 4 Top Amateur Players from Lakeside, no point in filling spots with people from the BDO for the sake of it, if their not good enough their not good enough.

Im more interested now to see if many women will compete in the Womens World Championship.... Will entry be mutually exclusive, so Trina Gulliver would have to choose BDO or PDC, how many enter, will it be given a bigger berth, more sets and legs, more respect.

Will trina do a wolfie and be loyal or will she see big money and the chance to win a new world championship as a challenge.

Also the 2 finalists from the U21 and Womens world championship would get pro tour invites and sponsorship from Rileys, thats epic for these to have sponsorship to push on a move to the next level.

Excellent announcements, and another slap to the BDO when the PDC World Cup takes place with the worlds best players

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

But the womens World Championship isn't a proper championship. It's gonna be played over a couple of months with regional competitions and the top two qualifying to the final. Tbh if they are going to have a womens WC then do it properly and have a 3 day tournament or something and use those two months as the qualifiers.

Also as I said the Grand Slams appeal is that it features players from both codes, they should have 8 places imo to make it a good pread from both codes. Otherwise it's just like any other tournament and loses its unique appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I only found out this news today. I think the under 21 World Championship is a brilliant idea and with £10000 to the winner plus a pro tour card and sponsorship for 2011 and 2012 to the 2 finalists it gives young players a great chance to become full time professionals on the circuit.

As for the Womens World Championship while there's substansially much higher prize money than the Lakeside equivalent will the top Womens players compete? Trina Gulliver has a big decision to make as she has been denied her chance to play in the Grand Slam Of Darts as the BDO Womens World Champion wildcard place was withdrawn following the announcement of the new PDC version. The BDO ladies players for years have been giving out about the BDO not doing enough for the ladies game,it'll be interesting to see how many of them will actually make the move across to the PDC?

The PDC World Cup is another welcome announcement and better again there's live coverage of this event. An interesting year ahead in darts i reckon!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

dartbhoy wrote: »
    I only found out this news today. I think the under 21 World Championship is a brilliant idea and with £10000 to the winner plus a pro tour card and sponsorship for 2011 and 2012 to the 2 finalists it gives young players a great chance to become full time professionals on the circuit.

As for the Womens World Championship while there's substansially much higher prize money than the Lakeside equivalent will the top Womens players compete? Trina Gulliver has a big decision to make as she has been denied her chance to play in the Grand Slam Of Darts as the BDO Womens World Champion wildcard place was withdrawn following the announcement of the new PDC version. The BDO ladies players for years have been giving out about the BDO not doing enough for the ladies game,it'll be interesting to see how many of them will actually make the move across to the PDC?

The PDC World Cup is another welcome announcement and better again there's live coverage of this event. An interesting year ahead in darts i reckon!
    The unicorn ladies world champs is an open mate you dont have to be a pdpa member to play in it.

This is from Edward Lowy head of unicorn

Hi the Unicorn Ladies & Unicorn U21 tournaments are open, entrants do not have to be PDPA members. If a finalist chooses to accept the Pro Tour card then they will need to join the PDPA. No entrant should fear being banned from anything as a result of their desire to compete and improve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Gringo180 wrote: »
    The unicorn ladies world champs is an open mate you dont have to be a pdpa member to play in it.

This is from Edward Lowy head of unicorn

Hi the Unicorn Ladies & Unicorn U21 tournaments are open, entrants do not have to be PDPA members. If a finalist chooses to accept the Pro Tour card then they will need to join the PDPA. No entrant should fear being banned from anything as a result of their desire to compete and improve.
    Thanks for that informatioin. As you say with PDPA membership not required there's no reason why that the World's best ladies and youths will not play. And well done to Unicorn for sponsoring these 2 new exciting events.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Yeah but I wonder will the BDO give the ladies an ultimatum that if they do play in this event they will be banned from taking part in WDF/BDO events, it wouldnt surprise me in the least:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement