Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Breakfast with Ray (Foley) and Jay [Cork's Red FM, 6am-9am]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

I honestly don't think he'll be back, it's very similar to what happened with KC last year. No one gets three weeks off over Christmas not even Darcy or Dempsey.

Only reason he wouldn’t be back is if he was going back to Today FM or to 2FM and neither likely right now. Plus Colm mentioned a few times in the 10 mins I had Red FM on this morning that he’s in for Ray and Jay this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

IUA14 wrote: »
    Only reason he wouldn’t be back is if he was going back to Today FM or to 2FM and neither likely right now. Plus Colm mentioned a few times in the 10 mins I had Red FM on this morning that he’s in for Ray and Jay this week.

I think he was in for KC and Jay as well last year before it was officially announced.
    I'm only jumping to conclusions I'm going on no concrete information.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Letting Kc and ross gain the no 1 slot.

Foley mentioned on Twitter that he had always wanted to book the extra week off after Christmas...but never again.

In other news delighted for Muireann!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Was he back on air today? No podcast since before Christmas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Yes back today. Think it was foolish taking a long break wiht KC at 96fm breathing down hes neck. Jnlrs soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

vince wrote: »
    Yes back today. Think it was foolish taking a long break wiht KC at 96fm breathing down hes neck. Jnlrs soon.

I can’t stand that insufferable Ross Browne

The lads were on form this morning right from the opening link. The caller to the wrong station...gas and the D'Arcy stuff...in stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

The lads were on form this morning right from the opening link. The caller to the wrong station...gas and the D'Arcy stuff...in stitches.

Loved it! Those two had one frosty relationship at today fm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Horse84 wrote: »
    Loved it! Those two had one frosty relationship at today fm

Speaking of which...

https://twitter.com/rayfoleyshow/status/953365015901474816

• Advertisement

Were they on today? No podcast up yet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Synode wrote: »

I saw Ray posting on Twitter that he was in hospital last night. Not sure of any other details, but that may explain it if they were off today.

Yes they were on and hilariously hungover.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    I saw Ray posting on Twitter that he was in hospital last night. Not sure of any other details, but that may explain it if they were off today.
    Yes they were on and hilariously hungover.

Are you sure Ray didn't say he was going to be sick as a small hospital :pac:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Podcast is up now on iTunes.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Loughc wrote: »
    Are you sure Ray didn't say he was going to be sick as a small hospital :pac:

Hey, quite possible, quite possible!

TBH the tweet had a picture with it that I didn't bother looking at, so I've no context as to what he was actually on about. :P

They were on alright this morning talking about been on a date with each other last night that was around 7:20

The show so far this week...lads...jaysus they are on fire. "Ray D'Arcy's Twitter of the Week"...I was in fits listening to it. Seems to be more of the lads just waffling, taking the piss and having the craic (plus more of the old beds). Granny Award jingle had be nostalgic for Nordy Eoghan's movie review. Marian Finucane on Tuesday...brilliant!

He also nearly let an aul f*ck out when talking to Jay about P!nk on Monday.

The show so far this week...lads...jaysus they are on fire. "Ray D'Arcy's Twitter of the Week"...I was in fits listening to it. Seems to be more of the lads just waffling, taking the piss and having the craic (plus more of the old beds). Granny Award jingle had be nostalgic for Nordy Eoghan's movie review. Marian Finucane on Tuesday...brilliant!

Ya the Tuesday Marian v Britney but was quality!

I’ve noticed since coming back after Christmas they’ve really been killing it. There’s some proper LOL moments each day on the show. Hopefully they can keep it out and it won’t drift off as Ray energy starts wearing off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

I’ve noticed since coming back after Christmas they’ve really been killing it. There’s some proper LOL moments each day on the show. Hopefully they can keep it out and it won’t drift off as Ray energy starts wearing off.

Was a big fan of Ray on today fm but I gave up listening to the podcasts last summer as I got a little bored of it and it was a bit of hassle downloading them for the car since i live in Dublin I couldn't hear it live. After seeing the above post I decided to give it another try the other day. It sounds like he's really settled in there and you can hear the difference. He had me in stiches with the Ray Darcy tweets bit. My prediction for the future is now that virgin media have bought tv3 they will buy a radio station hear too and Ray will get a national gig again. I'm basing this on nothing concrete, just the fact he already works for 3, now virgin media and done some cover work for Virgin radio in the UK last year.

I've only recently started listening to the podcast again, so I can't make a full judgment on the show yet, but I will say, the few episodes I've heard so far he sounds way happier than he did on 98FM. He actually sounds like he's full of energy and enjoying it again, as opposed to just going through the motions. Even last Thursday's show when he was hungover he sounded enthusiastic and up for the show.

Now, that's based on a small sample size of about 4-5 shows, and maybe my memory of the 98FM show has been muddied by what he's said on NTN after it ended, but it's really nice to hear him having fun again. Long may it continue!

Delighted for the lads! Biggest breakfast show in Cork. From RadioToday.ie:

In Cork, RedFM is celebrating as Ray Foley has helped the station become the top breakfast show in Cork for the first time in its 16 year history.

Ray joined co-presenter Jason Coughlan last March to present ‘Breakfast with Ray & Jay’ on Cork’s RedFM and according to the latest figures 55,000 people are tuning into the duo each morning. The show has recorded an increase of 14,000 listeners compared to this time last year and are now 8,000 ahead of Morning Ireland on RTE Radio One which is the second most listened to show in Cork.

Cork’s RedFM gained a boost in figures across all weekday daytime shows – 144,000 people are now listening to RedFM every day.

Speaking about the results CEO of Cork’s Red FM Diarmuid O’Leary said “We are delighted with the latest JNLR results which are the highest in the stations history and keep us at the top of radio listening in Cork. The fact that we now have the top breakfast show in Cork is a fantastic achievement and in particular the fact that Ray & Jay have grown the audience by 14,000 with a new show in the last year is phenomenal”.

Delighted for the lads! Biggest breakfast show in Cork. From RadioToday.ie:

In Cork, RedFM is celebrating as Ray Foley has helped the station become the top breakfast show in Cork for the first time in its 16 year history.

Ray joined co-presenter Jason Coughlan last March to present ‘Breakfast with Ray & Jay’ on Cork’s RedFM and according to the latest figures 55,000 people are tuning into the duo each morning. The show has recorded an increase of 14,000 listeners compared to this time last year and are now 8,000 ahead of Morning Ireland on RTE Radio One which is the second most listened to show in Cork.

Cork’s RedFM gained a boost in figures across all weekday daytime shows – 144,000 people are now listening to RedFM every day.

Speaking about the results CEO of Cork’s Red FM Diarmuid O’Leary said “We are delighted with the latest JNLR results which are the highest in the stations history and keep us at the top of radio listening in Cork. The fact that we now have the top breakfast show in Cork is a fantastic achievement and in particular the fact that Ray & Jay have grown the audience by 14,000 with a new show in the last year is phenomenal”.

That's really impressive. Honestly, I wouldn't have expected such a big jump given KC is directly opposing him. Really happy the lads are doing well!

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    That's really impressive. Honestly, I wouldn't have expected such a big jump given KC is directly opposing him. Really happy the lads are doing well!

It's really impressive and well deserved, he really seems to be enjoying himself, almost like the pressure is off.

Didn't he do well outside of Dublin when he was on TodayFM? Maybe Foley's humor translates better outside of Dublin.

It's really impressive and well deserved, he really seems to be enjoying himself, almost like the pressure is off.

Didn't he do well outside of Dublin when he was on TodayFM? Maybe Foley's humor translates better outside of Dublin.

Yeah, Today FM in general seemed to be more popular outside Dublin when Foley was there. In fact, one of the biggest criticisms of Foley getting the 98FM gig in the first place was his poor Dublin figures.

I'd be open to correction on this, but with 55,000 listeners, isn't he almost higher than he ever was on 98FM? Didn't he peak around the 60,000 mark there or am I imagining things?

And, before I say the next thing, I'd like to state that I love KC, and there is zero malice intended here, but:
    Isn't it slightly amusing that Ray originally came to Red FM because KC was PD and KC did him a favour by giving him the weekend gig once his 98FM gardening leave was over, and now Foley has taken over KC's slot and is beating him in the ratings? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 16 scrimpinsave

He should never have gone to 98FM. Awful station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

He should never have gone to 98FM. Awful station.
    I beg to differ. It's my go to station now that TXFM has bitten the dust.

Guys can someone please point me in the direction of the JNLR thread as boards stopped sending me my followed topics updates.
    Cheers

• Advertisement

I beg to differ. It's my go to station now that TXFM has bitten the dust.

It's so bland. I mean it has absolutely nothing standing out for it

Advertisement