Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Confirmation re Bulmers (Irish)/Magners

Options
  • 15-02-2010 7:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭

Hey, thought this deserved a thread on its own as a heads-up seeing as so many people in this country drink Bulmers.

I also decided to make a thread on it based on the fact that when researching the suitability of alcoholic drinks on the internet, there is much confusion due to the fact that there is a different drink with the same name in the UK.

Anyway, this is the email I got back from the PR company representing Bulmers Ireland:

Hi K,

One of the components of an ingredient used in the recipe for
    Bulmers/Magners cider is derived from an animal source, therefore
    Bulmers/Magners has been classified as not suitable for vegetarians. This
    ingredient is widely used in the manufacture of food and drink.

Regards,

Name and Address of sender deleted just in case there's a privacy issue.

I know some of you may have known this already but I'm sure there are others who were unaware of the above.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Nice work, kraggy.

But did they mention anything about Bulmer's Pear?

I went through their "Contact Us" form but am still waiting to see whether the new recipe is still V & V friendly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Nice work, kraggy.

But did they mention anything about Bulmer's Pear?

I went through their "Contact Us" form but am still waiting to see whether the new recipe is still V & V friendly.

What's in my first post is all I got. Should have specified all types of Bulmers when inquiring, d'oh!

I got that mail back as a result of filling in one of their contact us forms on their site, but it only came back today. I sent it weeks ago.

But now I should be able to just reply to their PR crowd so will let ye know how it goes regarding the Bulmers Pear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hi, sorry. I shuld have made a thread on it's own about this if I didn't, I amy have when I found out. They sent me the same reply months ago. Also, it says the pear is veggie on it's site, or it did!

We should post common foods and drinks here peopel may be unsure of, Guinness etc

Hi, sorry. I shuld have made a thread on it's own about this if I didn't, I amy have when I found out. They sent me the same reply months ago. Also, it says the pear is veggie on it's site, or it did!

We should post common foods and drinks here peopel may be unsure of, Guinness etc

Well, Bulmers Pear used to be...but then they changed the formula and now the "suitable for vegans & vegetarians" is missing from the site/can & bottles labels.

That's why I emailed them again.

You know yerself - you can't rely on producers not to change their ingredients list and post a big notice about it. Vigilance, peeps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

That sort of thing was started by Mark Hamill and saved in the sticky. If anyone has anything to add, pm me.

The more people you email, the better :) Bulmers need the hint that their customer base isn't satisfied.

• Advertisement

I thought I posted this already ....

Anyhoo, kraggy, if it's not too late, can you also ask about the ingredients list of Bulmer's Berry as well - please & thanks.

Advertisement