Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for Vegan Choc Rice Crispie Cakes

Options
  • 03-02-2010 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

I am a massive fan of chocolate rice crispie cakes and have been making my own with dark chocolate and a bit of agave nectar recently, with a solid dark chocolate topping. They are gorgeous but sometimes I find them a bit TOO heavy and chocolatey. I could forego the topping, but I love that bit! So I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas on how else to make them, as ideally I'd like to have a more caramelly type rice crispie base (i.e. no chocolate in it) and then just have the dark chocolate on top. I have no idea how to get this kind of base though, one that will hold the puffed rice together and solidify without being too sticky. Caramel isn't vegan of course as it's made from condensed milk... so if anyone has any other quick and simple ideas for a recipe that would be great!

Comments

My friend is the queen of rice krispie buns...I'm missing a rice krispie bun party this week. ~sniff~

She always uses golden syrup.

I just googled this recipe, and it might be better for you.
    Being a vegan and what not, it might be a way of working good fats in.
    I'm totally giving it a try.
    Peanut Butter Rice Crispy Treats

• 6-1/2 cups puffed brown rice cereal
    • 1/2 cup dried blueberries or raisins
    • 1/4 cup ground golden flax seed meal
    • 1 cup peanut butter
    • 1/4 cup maple syrup
    • 1/4 cup honey or brown rice syrup
    • 2 Tbsp. butter
    Spray a 9 x 9 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
    Mix puffed rice cereal, dried blueberries or raisins and flax seed meal together in a large bowl. Put peanut butter, maple syrup, honey and butter in a microwave-safe container. Microwave 1 minute on high. Stir. if butter has not melted, microwave another 30 seconds. Repeat until butter has melted. Pour over cereal mixture. Stir to coat. Press mixture into prepared pan using your hands. Freeze 30 minutes. Cut into bars. Keep refrigerated.
    Makes 12 bars.
    Per bar: 291 calories, 14 g fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 8 mg sodium, 38 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein, 1% Vitamin A, 3% calcium, 19% iron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

wow! thank you for that! I might actually give that a go, but alter it slightly... maybe experiment with peanut butter, vegan margarine & golden syrup with the rice crispies on the base, with my usual thin layer of dark chocolate topping!

You are lucky to have a friend to spoil you like that ;) I occasionally test my cookies and bars out on my friends, but generally I eat everything before they have the chance to call round! hehe :D

You are lucky to have a friend to spoil you like that ;) I occasionally test my cookies and bars out on my friends, but generally I eat everything before they have the chance to call round! hehe :D

haha

I like your style! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Moonbaby wrote: »
    haha

I like your style! :P

I do inform them when I've made things and they tell me to save them some, but I cannot always guarantee that it will happen! So it's their fault!! :P

Advertisement