Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPhone / iPod touch

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Does anyone else think the update to iPhone 5 screen for most apps is taking a long time?

Loads of may favourite apps are still letterboxed. Stuff like Whatsapp, TuneIn, TV Guide, the Irish Times...

I thought the process was supposed to be painless for devs!

EDIT - TuneIn app has been updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

depends how well the app was developed, and if there are fixed height values dotted around the codebase. you also have to remember a lot of companies outsource their iOS development meaning to get even the smallest of changes costs $$$.

the irish times i'm guessing will take a while as it's a web wrapper app. not sure about the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

Anyone use the lotto app? Not only has it not been resized, but it hasn't been updated from when the changed all their games in September!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

A friend told me about this game on Saturday. My eyes are starting to hurt today from playing it constantly since then, this is a ridiculously addictive game and I take no reponsibility for it ruining your life.

New Star Soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Anyone having issues with Sparrow the mail app alternative?

I keep getting push notifications for mails received (& deleted) 15-16 hours ago.
    Just recently too, last 2-3 days.
    Its the app im presuming, would there be anything else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭mackthefinger

maximoose wrote: »
    A friend told me about this game on Saturday. My eyes are starting to hurt today from playing it constantly since then, this is a ridiculously addictive game and I take no reponsibility for it ruining your life.

New Star Soccer.

Thanks for that. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,012 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

New Star Soccer

Very addictive little football game.

Free to download but you have to pay for the career mode were you live as a pro player from the age of 16, you have to keep your boss the team and fans happy and build up your stats.
    maximoose wrote: »

New Star Soccer.

ahh if you just listened to me away back in march would have discovered it then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

City Maps 2Go Free today only, worth a shot to see if its a good replacement for the built-in map.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Bellu

Got a free yet addictive game iSwinging

And I got some really nice FREE iPhone 4S/5 Apps&games from this blog list: Best Free iPhone 4S/iPhone 5 Apps, really like the Jetsetter very much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

New Irish Times app is a big improvement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah, great to see the iP5 screen being used. BBC News got an update, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

prey is anti theft software for iphones, ipad, ipod touch, androids, laptops, and computers, to prevent the robber to get away with ur stolen goods, it helps to track down the thief through the mac address and gps to find criminal that has stolen ur iphone, ipad, ipod touch, android, laptop, or computer. even take a photo of hooligan that has stolen ur iphone, ipad, ipod touch, android, laptop, or computer. Also turn on sirens, the ur iphone, ipad, ipod touch, android, laptop, or computer keep going like a police sirens, plus its free

http://www.preyproject.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Looking for a good app for playing videos over DLNA and will play a variety of formats.

Any recommendations before I go buy an app that might be useless?

Using AirAV at the moment but its not been updated to Iphone 5 yet so doesn't fill the screen.

All halfbrick games are free at the moment, age of zombies, fruit ninja etc, just search for; halfbrick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

Hill Climb Racing is free and class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Soarer wrote: »
    Hill Climb Racing is free and class.

its addictive, and if your trying to accumulate coins, the moon level gets the most.

Beach buggy is even better, and also free

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

12 days of christmas from this year was disappointent :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

Does anyone know of any good study apps? I want one where I can put topics into a timetable an then tick it off as done afterwards, something similar to Lift if possible (where you tick off the things you've done). It has to be free though. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

Is there such a thing as an app that tracks the prices of albums etc on the itunes store? I know theres plenty for tracking apps on the app store for price/gone free etc.
    Is there even a way of setting alerts or anything like that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

OpenVPN is finally finally available for iOS, this is one of the main reasons I switched from iphone to android.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

jester77 wrote: »
    OpenVPN is finally finally available for iOS, this is one of the main reasons I switched from iphone to android.

Wanna give a quick rundown on what it is/does? If it makes you change phone I'm guessing its useful enough for me to be interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Dodge wrote: »
    Wanna give a quick rundown on what it is/does? If it makes you change phone I'm guessing its useful enough for me to be interested :)

It allows you to securely connect to a network that supports openvpn remotely. I can connect to my home network without having to expose all my services through port forwarding.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭MintyDoris

Can anyone recommend a good password keeper app?

1Password is fantastic, I don't have the iOS version but I use the Pc/Mac one and its invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Touchpal is a swipe keyboard for iOS. As per apple regulation it's not fully integrated into the iOS ,instead it's in a stand alone app. However this one is very nicely done. You can send an email and messages from within the app and you can copy a tract of text you've typed with just one click.

Great for anyone who misses android Swype . It really does make typing much faster and it's very accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭MyAmber.net

144 pages read!
    Thanks for some great suggestions and here is my list of apps (all free, no jailbreak needed):

Easy Music Downloader – download music to your iPhone via wi-fi, no iTunes!
    Wifi Photo Transfer – the same, but for pictures
    Call Friends – create a shortcut (+image) to call a person with just 1 click
    Dolphin – web browser
    Luas – luas timetable from any stop
    Dublin Airport – no more staring at the screens at Dublin Airport, have a pint and watch the screens from your iPhone + book your parking
    Hailo – best taxi app – see where the nearest taxi is and when it can be at your place, book it, get a message when the taxi arrives and pay for the trip. Everything in one great app.
    Transport for Ireland – select where you are, where you want to be and when. Then get info about public transport connections to get you to your destination.
    NavFree – free GPS offline maps, many countries to select
    CoPilot – as above, but free for IE
    Great Drives – haven’t used it yet. Selection of several beautiful drives in IE.
    Ireland Discount Guide - Great offers and discounts available for 95 top attractions throughout Ireland (2012 so far, I hope they update soon)
    Google Maps - is back again!
    TheJournal.ie - news
    Viber - everyone has it now
    Mail - email client
    Tango - video calls and video voice messages
    Faces Lite - speed dial screens for family and friends
    Flashlight - strong light, very easy to use
    MyDealPage - all deals in 1 place (groupon, social living, etc.)
    Wi-fi finder - get information about all free/paid hot-spots (in the world?) and use this info to find the nearest when needed
    MobileVoip - Voip client - I use it with internetcalls.com - for 10 euro every six months you have unlimited landline calls all over the world
    Find iPhone - as it says
    Key Ring - get all your loyality cards in one place (does not work great as majority of scanners cannot scan the code from a phone)
    Argos Checker - check availability of any Argos products in all shops in Ireland at once
    pic2shop - scan a barcode of any product and compare the prices (mostly I check it against amazon)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭iancairns

Wtf! BBC Sport finally release an iPhone app and it's only available in UK app stores! Grrr!
    I have US account but can't set up UK one! Anyone?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/20928565

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

MintyDoris wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good password keeper app?

Keeper is pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

What is the best/quickest browser for iPhone?
    I use Opera Mini.

Advertisement