Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reccomend a Driving Intructor Cork

Options
  • 20-01-2010 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi
    if you could recommend any one. Looking for a instructor in Cork city and maybe Mallow depending on where I apply for the test .Currently looking at Irish School of Motoring ISM if any of you have dealt with them which instructors would you recommend? Thanks Hope you can help
    Gone to a few lessons now with different people so need to find someone whos nice and can help me pass a test hopefully 1st time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Hi
    if you could recommend any one. Looking for a instructor in Cork city and maybe Mallow depending on where I apply for the test .Currently looking at Irish School of Motoring ISM if any of you have dealt with them which instructors would you recommend? Thanks Hope you can help
    Gone to a few lessons now with different people so need to find someone whos nice and can help me pass a test hopefully 1st time.

We did a drive4life thing way back in 4th year. Basically one bit of advice we were given was to always go with someone who's actually busy and not someone who says they are free any time. Their business is all down to word of mouth so if they busy they must be doing something right. The guy i got a few lessons off is down in Bandon which is probably a bit out of your way tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Al Dwyer. Couldnt meet a nicer man. Ill dig out his number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 MimiS

+1 for Al Dwyer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Milly33

I got a chap called Cyril really really nice everyone I know who has had lessons from him have passed on their test...And he wont bull**** you either he will tell you how many lessons you should have and he gives great pointers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 *Sparkles*

Im currently getting lessons from Aim High Motoring the woman im with Linda is brilliant couldnt recommend her more. She has a website to i think.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

John Riordan got me through my test first time a couple of years ago - very very nice but takes to sh*t! He will get you through. Based in the city. PM if you want his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Alex from ISM got my son through 1st time after 6 lessons & lots of driving practice!

Milly33 wrote: »
    I got a chap called Cyril really really nice everyone I know who has had lessons from him have passed on their test...And he wont bull**** you either he will tell you how many lessons you should have and he gives great pointers..

Cyril from The Lough, I got him too, well sound guy. He told me I should pass first time after one lesson, he told me I didn't need any more, had to beg him for two more lessons. A guy I worked also booked him for pretest lessons, guy wanted 5 or 6, Cyril told him after the 1st one that he was no where near passing standard and to drive for another 6 months before doing the test. Very honest guy.

http://www.citylocal.ie/business/209574/OBrienSchoolofMotoring/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 reusable

Im learning with the Top gear school of motoring from Carrigaline Des is the instructor and is very patient.
    PM me for the number

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

Seamus Quinlan is excellent, ex tester. Taught me, my gf and her 2 sisters. We all excellent drivers because of him :D Had other instructors before him so I have experience in this field :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 269 ✭✭themonboys

MimiS wrote: »
    +1 for Al Dwyer

++1

themonboys wrote: »
    ++1

+2 is the mathematical expression you require there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 glee123

anybody go to first choice school of motoring? im looking for driving lessons at mo in cork city and by their website they seem reasonably cheap etc...

out of interest what is the going rate for lessons these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Frank Morrissey - passed my test thanks to him. Absolutely excellent, and a lovely guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Al Dwyer!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

everyone who's passed their test will tell you their instructor was brilliant :)

anyway, I went with John O'Riordan, who was absolutey brilliant :P

he turned out to be a huge City fan too, which was a bonus. Spent most of the lesson chatting about City!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Roar wrote: »
    everyone who's passed their test will tell you their instructor was brilliant :)
    Very true. :D
    But, I did go to three other driving instructors... :o
    anyway, I went with John O'Riordan, who was absolutey brilliant :P

he turned out to be a huge City fan too, which was a bonus. Spent most of the lesson chatting about City!
    Oh I think I know that guy - is he fairly young?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

I highly recommend Cyril O'Brien Highly enough. He was a no nonsense instructor and having experience of a few, i have to say that he seemed to be the only one who didnt seem like a salesman rather than an instructor.

He gave honest advice, and taught driving, rather than "test passing".

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭Milly33

Trashbat wrote: »
    I highly recommend Cyril O'Brien Highly enough. He was a no nonsense instructor and having experience of a few, i have to say that he seemed to be the only one who didnt seem like a salesman rather than an instructor.

He gave honest advice, and taught driving, rather than "test passing".

I got Cyrill also and he is great, my cousin had me all nervous saying he was very grumpy but it was all lies. Loverly man, rather than pointing out things that you are doing wrong he will give you advice on what to do. no bull with him and passed my test first time round

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Dudess wrote: »
    Very true. :D

Oh I think I know that guy - is he fairly young?

no, John would be in his late 40s/early 50s I'd reckon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Id definitely recommend Alex Murphy from the ISM. My brother and I both passed my brother first time and me the second time cause I got that "little Hitler" tester. i had the experience of being taught by Cyril O'Brien as well and after two lessons i had enough his car reaked of smoked and my hands stank from the steering wheel for hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Skud wrote: »
    Seamus Quinlan is excellent, ex tester. Taught me, my gf and her 2 sisters. We all excellent drivers because of him :D Had other instructors before him so I have experience in this field :)

+1 on Seamus. Great guy. Been a long time since I used his services but he got my girlfriend through it recently enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

Frank Murphy, Focus Driving School - very good.
    Tried a few others at the time because I needed to hire a car to do the test, Frank was by far the best.
    One of the other fellas wrecked my head with chat, and the crappy yaris he had. Frank only says what he needs to say and had a decent car (few years ago now since I did my test but pretty sure he updates the cars regularly) I know 3 people that passed first time after lessons with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

EPM wrote: »
    +1 on Seamus. Great guy. Been a long time since I used his services but he got my girlfriend through it recently enough

Would you have his number, where is he based?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Do any instructor's do a student rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

Roar wrote: »
    no, John would be in his late 40s/early 50s I'd reckon
    A young Man so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

I would definitely recommend John O'Riordan, he's a great instructor! I had a few lessons with Seamus and went to John after and I found him far superior. He's completely honest with you and tells you striaght away if you're doing something wrong - the morning of my test I went about a centimetre over a stop line and he told me that I would fail my test if I did that again!

Passed first time with John, as did my cousin so I'd definitely suggest him. You should only pick an instructor who's on the RSA approved list, John is on it if you want his number.

I would definitely recommend John O'Riordan, he's a great instructor! I had a few lessons with Seamus and went to John after and I found him far superior. He's completely honest with you and tells you striaght away if you're doing something wrong - the morning of my test I went about a centimetre over a stop line and he told me that I would fail my test if I did that again!

Passed first time with John, as did my cousin so I'd definitely suggest him. You should only pick an instructor who's on the RSA approved list, John is on it if you want his number.

I used John too, is it O'Riordan or Riordan? He drives a Fabia, same guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭bubblicious

Actually I think it's Riordan but everyone else was saying O'Riordan so I just assumed I'd been dropping the "O" in error! And yes, he had the Fabia when I was learning 2 years ago!

• Advertisement

Actually I think it's Riordan but everyone else was saying O'Riordan so I just assumed I'd been dropping the "O" in error! And yes, he had the Fabia when I was learning 2 years ago!

Same guy - the man is excellent. I could not recommend him enough.

The day I had my test he had 3 first time passers in a row.

Advertisement