Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishmonger/Seafood in Wicklow?

Options
  • 19-01-2010 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

We may well be moving to Wicklow very soon...
    Is there a fishmonger/fresh seafood shop in Wicklow? If not, is there one close?
    I'm looking for a regular supply of fresh fish for the family.
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There's a van / stall which trades out of the Supervalu / AIB car park that seems to be there most days (certainly there at weekends). Anything we've tried has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sleepy wrote: »
    There's a van / stall which trades out of the Supervalu / AIB car park that seems to be there most days (certainly there at weekends). Anything we've tried has been excellent.

I think it might be only Thursdays and Fridays

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

Good stuff. Thanks for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    I think it might be only Thursdays and Fridays

I've seen the van most Saturday mornings when I'm doing my shopping.

Afaik the fish comes from Kilmore Quay in Co. Wexford. I haven't bought often but haven't had a problem with it all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Auscast wrote: »
    We may well be moving to Wicklow very soon...
    Is there a fishmonger/fresh seafood shop in Wicklow? If not, is there one close?
    I'm looking for a regular supply of fresh fish for the family.
    Thanks! :)

Best place for fish mate is Dun Laoghaire west pier on Saturday mornings.

Fish shop in Greystones at La Touche Place on the right.

Bloke used to sell fish at the Meridian Centre in Greystones on Saturday mornings aswell.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Will try them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

ciaran67 wrote: »
    Fish shop in Greystones at La Touche Place on the right.
    Moran's? When I was passing by there last Monday it looked decidedly closed, and peering in through the window it was very empty, no counter, nothing so looks like it might have closed (yet again). It was a bit confusing when they moved from those premises to the main street and the later moved back into the old premises .. don't know what was going on there.

Still there's always Cavistons, or the Chinese fish shop in Bray in the Village Arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Alun wrote: »
    Moran's? When I was passing by there last Monday it looked decidedly closed, and peering in through the window it was very empty, no counter, nothing so looks like it might have closed (yet again). It was a bit confusing when they moved from those premises to the main street and the later moved back into the old premises .. don't know what was going on there.

Still there's always Cavistons, or the Chinese fish shop in Bray in the Village Arcade.

Yea Moran's. Gone again eh. Shame, another business bites the dust.

Most of the butchers in Wicklow now get fresh fish in. One of them does an 'order on Thursday and you'll have it fresh from the markets Friday' which would be good for shellfish. Also, the butcher in Bridgewater (Arklow) does a 25% off fresh fish on Wednesdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

are there still fishing boats operating out of Wicklow Harbour? - last time I was there, there were crates of the fish and shellfish stacked up on the quayside.

• Advertisement

Good question. I've seen the boats there and thought they must be still being used. I'll have to get up early enough to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭TheBardWest

Wanted to add a question to this thread, as I'm in the same boat (Wicklow Town, looking for seafood). We're new to the area and would love to try lobster and crab. Are these caught seasonally, and if so, when's the time to get them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kjgrant

Wanted to add a question to this thread, as I'm in the same boat (Wicklow Town, looking for seafood). We're new to the area and would love to try lobster and crab. Are these caught seasonally, and if so, when's the time to get them?
    donnybrook fair in greystones has live lobster on special for ten euro each throughout july..also cavistons in greystones have them

Advertisement