Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cream Crackers

Options
  • 19-01-2010 1:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Ok, so this may appear as a question with a very obvious answer. Cream crackers? Vegan??

I ask as from the ingredients listed, they appear ok.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It would depend on the brand I suppose, I expect some could have animal fat so it would you cannot put a blanket "vegan" stamp on any products like this.

Cream crackers are pretty bad BTW, I would sooner have real biscuits if I am going to eat junk, their nutritional values are pretty similar. Many people think crackers must be "good" since they are so bland tasting. Ryvitas are a much heatlhier choice, -not sure if they are vegan though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

rubadub wrote: »
    It would depend on the brand I suppose, I expect some could have animal fat so it would you cannot put a blanket "vegan" stamp on any products like this.

Cream crackers are pretty bad BTW, I would sooner have real biscuits if I am going to eat junk, their nutritional values are pretty similar. Many people think crackers must be "good" since they are so bland tasting. Ryvitas are a much heatlhier choice, -not sure if they are vegan though.

I think the OP was asking was there actual cream in them. I guess the best thing to do is email the companies, but if there's a veggie stamp in them and you can't see CREAM written in big letters in the ingredient list or anything else you find dodgy I'd say go for it. But that's just me.

And crackers are delicious

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I think the OP was asking was there actual cream in them.
    Never thought of that! its one of those names you grow up with and never question, like 7up, a very odd name that is not questioned. I would have thought it refered to cream flour. wiki shows its an Irish invention.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream_cracker
    Cream crackers were first manufactured by William Jacob in a small bakery in Dublin, Ireland around 1885

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Crackers/Jacobs_Cream_Crackers_300g.html
    Ingredients
    Wheat Flour, Vegetable Oil, Salt, Raising Agent (Sodium Bicarbonate), Yeast, Contains Gluten

Still other brands could have other oils, I have seen several biscuits with animal fat.

Advertisement