Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The science of the rasher sambo.

Options
  • 18-01-2010 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

Some very enterprising young scientists have been working very hard researching the perfect rasher sambo. They even came up with wonderful equations and everything.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/6538643.stm
    Scientists' 'perfect' bacon butty
    Bacon sandwich
    Experts spent 1,000 hours testing different bacon variations
    Scientists have created a mathematical formula of how to make the perfect bacon butty.

Experts at Leeds University discovered the secret to the ideal sandwich lay in how crispy and crunchy rashers were.

They found that two or three back bacon rashers should be cooked under a preheated oven grill for seven minutes at about 240C (475F).

The bacon should then be placed between two slices of farmhouse bread, 1cm to 2cm thick.

Cooking times

Four researchers at the Department of Food Science spent more than 1,000 hours testing 700 variations on the traditional bacon sandwich.

They tried different types and cuts of bacon, cooking techniques, types of oil and a range of cooking times at different temperatures.

A shortlist was then tested with computers to measure the texture of each sandwich.

Fifty volunteers also judged each sandwich according to its taste, texture and flavour.

'Turn-off'

Dr Graham Clayton, who led the research, said: "We often think it's the taste and smell of bacon that consumers find most attractive.

"But our research proves that texture and the crunching sound is just - if not more - important.

"While there was much debate within our taste panels on the smoked or unsmoked decision, everyone agreed that tough or chewy bacon is a turn-off."

The formula is: N = C + {fb (cm) . fb (tc)} + fb (Ts) + fc . ta, where N=force in Newtons required to break the cooked bacon, fb=function of the bacon type, fc=function of the condiment/filling effect, Ts=serving temperature, tc=cooking time, ta=time or duration of application of condiment/filling, cm=cooking method, C=Newtons required to break uncooked bacon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

On that "how its made" program they showed a crisps factory, from the look of them it was walkers. They had lads in white coats in labs testing the crisps, they would put one on a tripod thing and surround it with microphones, then a metal rod slowly came down to break it and the microphones recorded the sound for analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Does Heston Bluminthal concur? Without his seal of approval it's all hocum.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I wouldn't let Heston anywhere near a rasher sammich ... have you ever seen his recipe for chips? Over-engineered ... that's what it is.

The scientific method employed by the Leeds University experts (and they know about bacon in Leeds) stands up well to peer review, the sample size is prodigious and open nature of the experiments and conclusions is good enough for me. Especially as it concurs with my own research, conducted over many years.

The only Heston I'd trust for rasher sammiches is the late, great, Charlton ... I'd say he knew his (rasher) stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Damn this thread, now I both hungry AND I'm earwormed with Stumps "Charlton Heston put his vest on"

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

No mention of butter - real butter. None of this spreadable stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

all i can say is GRILL.. WTF
    only way to cook is in the pan... with yesterdays grease in it.....

Advertisement