Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing Straight on or Side on

Options
  • 16-01-2010 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Having never gotten beyond practicing in my shed (and not even doing that very often) since i bought my board i've decided for the new year to try and play the game a bit more often.

At the moment i'm trying to come up with a throw that can give me some level of consistency.I have none at the moment.I normally stand straight on to the board but tonight i put my foot along the oche and stood side on.only did this for a few mins and while it felt completely alien the darts flew better.i think this may have been because of the discomfort i wasnt thinking about the grip or throw and so the demons didnt enter my head.

What do you lads think? Should i persist with standing side on despite the discomfort or there no real difference and i should stand comfortably?

I know most pros do it but Is there an advantage to standing side on?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

I wouldn't, if it feels uncomfortable it not the right way to throw..!

Its about keeping your concentration over a good few legs/sets and ya cant if your constantly thinking' about your ankle killin' ya or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

eventually you'll find a happy medium i'd say. Look at Gary Anderson whose far from side on, same with Whitlock. the reason most pros are side on is cause your throwing from closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭SwdDub

I think everyone finds their best stance eventually. At the moment I'm experimenting because my right knee is far too rigid and gets quite sore pretty quickly. Hopefully I'll work it out quick enough

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Niall_76

Thanks lads..

Think i'll be going back to standing straight on today as my hip is a bit sore this morning after just the few mins of an experiment last night.

Will just have to find another way of clearing the demons from my head when throwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

there is no right or wrong way. whatever is the most comfortable is where you should start and develop your technique from there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

SwdDub wrote: »
    At the moment I'm experimenting because my right knee is far too rigid and gets quite sore pretty quickly. Hopefully I'll work it out quick enough
    I have the same problem but I wear a knee support on my right knee when playing darts for longer than 30 mins. I probably should try to change my stance...

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Like said above there is no right or wrong way to approach the oche.
    If you look at all the players on the telly, they all stand at different positions.

Personal been right handed i like to stand to the left of the oche keeping my right arm in line with the bull, 20, 19 rather than standing in the middle and having to throw across the board.

To understand what I'm saying next time your playn put your right foot at the center of the oche and see where your right hand is in relation to the center of the board. For most people they would be naturally aiming at the right side of the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

Lemegeton wrote: »
    there is no right or wrong way. whatever is the most comfortable is where you should start and develop your technique from there.

X2^.

I'm sure we have all seen people throwing with some funny stances/techniques at some stage and it seems to work well for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 ShaneGooner88

I've also altered my stance and I've noticed a massive, immediate improvement on my scoring.

I was always standing to the side but I was leaning slightly forward until last week and was getting sick of the way I was playing because I wasn't happy so I just continued throwing from the side but my posture was straight, I wasn't leaning anymore so it's honestly made a huge difference.

I'm 6'4 so the lipstick is a nice height for me and I find I can hit it with a much, much higher level of consistency than before.

When it comes to finishing though I've found it hard to adapt so I often adopt my old stance when it comes time to checkout and it works, simple as.

Advertisement