Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever had depression?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

I voted yes (no medication), thinking yeah, I'd say that I'm depressed now, but haven't been before. Then I remembered another low point I had almost three years ago.

But my question is, what do you make of depression where you know the exact cause? Or when you know that it will end at a certain time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If you know the exact cause, therapy would be the best option I think.

cloud493 wrote: »
    If you know the exact cause, therapy would be the best option I think.

Really? I would've thought the first main idea of therapy would be to find the cause. I don't think I'd go for therapy right now, because I don't think it's too serious. I'm only feeling depressed because I have to wait six months before moving out and going to college. I'm repeating the Leaving so all of my best friends are away in college, and I'm just sort of waiting for the school year to end, because school is no fun compared to last year. I have a couple of good friends in school, but I'd still rather skip a day if I had the chance, so I'm clearly not too happy here at the moment.

By the way, the 'depressed' period I went through a couple of years ago was due to my pack of ability to deal with (ie. talk to someone about) a serious family illness. The illness was cured, so things picked up after that.

PS: Thanks for the input. :)

Well then therapy would be used to get you through the present difficult time, so to speak, and anymore that might arise.

Well then therapy would be used to get you through the present difficult time, so to speak, and anymore that might arise.

Ah okay, thanks for the advice. I may talk to someone if I feel I need to at some point, it probably would help a lot. Only trouble is I tend to bottle everything up because I'm always afraid I'll start crying any time I have to discuss anything even slightly upsetting.

• Advertisement

Ah well, the average therapist has seen everything :3 I wouldn't worry about crying.

Ah well, the average therapist has seen everything :3 I wouldn't worry about crying.

Oh I know! I wouldn't mind crying in front of a therapist if I had to, it's just if I was to well up in front of a friend I'd be mortified.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There are different kinds of depression, and different kinds of therapy.

Sometimes you'll need to do a bit of digging and probing to find out the roots of the problem.

Sometimes you'll know the triggers, or the patterns, and you won't need to go through that stage. After that there are all kinds of options. Some people might need medication. Others might just need to talk out their problems. Others again might require cognitive behavioural therapy to help manage and overcome the issue. Combinations of therapies wouldn't be unusual either.

It depends entirely on the person really. Taking the first steps of talking about depression and looking for help are vital though.

Edit: and sometimes crying is exactly what you need. It's one of the body's natural stress relievers.

There are different kinds of depression, and different kinds of therapy.

Sometimes you'll need to do a bit of digging and probing to find out the roots of the problem.

Sometimes you'll know the triggers, or the patterns, and you won't need to go through that stage. After that there are all kinds of options. Some people might need medication. Others might just need to talk out their problems. Others again might require cognitive behavioural therapy to help manage and overcome the issue. Combinations of therapies wouldn't be unusual either.

It depends entirely on the person really. Taking the first steps of talking about depression and looking for help are vital though.

Edit: and sometimes crying is exactly what you need. It's one of the body's natural stress relievers.

I'm fairly sure any problems I have would be solved by just talking through them, it's just that I find that very difficult to do face to face with someone.

Also yes, a wee cry now and then is usually quite helpful.

Tis, tis. I think the main point of a therapist is to get to you to release the bad emotions through talking, or other stuff. So crying would be good :3

And I myself quit pieta house last week. Gonna find another way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

From 12-15 I had depression, but dealt with it and thought it was sorted. Last few weeks have been a real low and I'm so fed up. Even though I've no 'real' problems I'm just sick and tired of everyone and everything. I really don't want to go through what I did again.

From 12-15 I had depression, but dealt with it and thought it was sorted. Last few weeks have been a real low and I'm so fed up. Even though I've no 'real' problems I'm just sick and tired of everyone and everything. I really don't want to go through what I did again.

Have you talked to anyone about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Hairycopper

Have you talked to anyone about it?

Recently, no. I come across as a very happy, out going person and I am a lot of the time. I don't think any of my close friends would really understand or 'get it' its only when I get time to think I get really down. I struggle a lot with my appearance and weight and it's a major factor of being down for me. Id feel stupid talking to anyone about it properly again because I don't really have any real problems, on paper my life it's great.

Recently, no. I come across as a very happy, out going person and I am a lot of the time. I don't think any of my close friends would really understand or 'get it' its only when I get time to think I get really down. I struggle a lot with my appearance and weight and it's a major factor of being down for me. Id feel stupid talking to anyone about it properly again because I don't really have any real problems, on paper my life it's great.

If your feeling down, your feeling down. How you feel on paper is irrelevant. You should have a chat with your college counsellor maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

Hey guys...I think I've only posted here once before and that was a bit too lengthy for its own good too but well, with what's been going on in the last few days (think we all know what I mean) and just the way things are for me as of late, I kinda felt like I should say something.

I'm really, really awful at talking about how I feel. I don't like doing it, I'm not very good at putting my feelings into words so I just don't. Or at least I didn't, but I'm going to change this, because it's not doing anyone any good and talking may not be the solution to all problems, but it really, really helps...

I'm struggling to make myself coherent as it is, and I'm typing unnecessary things just for the sake of it because guys, I am so bad at this but I'm not gonna backspace, because then I'll never say anything and I should. The whole bottling it up thing just isn't going to cut it anymore. So here goes...I haven't been in the best of form in the last while. I don't really know where to pinpoint the beginning of it, there isn't really a clear one I guess. I'm quite an up-and-down person, rarely coming to rest somewhere in the middle. That's just me, it's something I've gotten used to. But for me, for quite some time, it feels like life is full of so much more downs than ups. I'm not even able to describe it, it's just...sometimes everything just feels so indescribably awful, it takes a huge effort to just be able to carry on and be normal. But that's what I do. I hide everything from everyone, and I don't know why. Like, I go around from day to day smiling and being as bright as I can be, and almost fooling myself in the process, but I'm not. I know the reasons why I'm not too content these days, tbh I'm not gonna bore anyone with them - they're pretty dull and mundane and I think if I was perhaps a better-adjusted person they wouldn't even bother me. But they do,that's the way I am. I'm a chronic overthinker, I never stop contemplating things to the point where it affects my day-to-day life, which really isn't helped by the fact I don't tend to release these much-contemplated thoughts into the outside world very much. Must..change...this.

Anyway, so that's the background, it's not articulated well at all and it's very silly really, in a 'n'awwww a 16-year-old girl thinks life is hard, lol poor her' kind of way, and I'm sorry for anyone who actually took time to read it. tl;dr - I get sad a bit. Such is life at the moment. That's not what I'm trying to say, it's this: I know it's been expressed thousands of times in the past, in this thread and others and in the world and general, and my words probably won't make much difference but I'm gonna add them anyway...lads, if you're feeling down and you don't know what to do about it, just talk. Talk. Talk. Talk.

Not so long ago this evening, I was just in the kitchen being normal - organising folders, in tonight's case, really not in the best of form (for my own reasons, they're so silly, really!), when my Mam came in. I can't even remember how it came up, it was all really casual, but then a simple question came up: 'are you happy?'...it was asked in an offhand way, but I wasn't able to answer in such a fashion. I wasn't able to answer for quite a while tbh, and then suddenly everything came spilling out. Everything - things I've kept bottled up inside me for years now, things I've felt that I've never told anyone about. And it was...well, it was brilliant. To use a tired cliché (heh, that phrase is actually a bit of a cliché), it was like a tremendous weight had been lifted off my shoulders and I felt kind of...free. It was exactly the medication I've needed for these ridiculous moods and low points, and exactly what I'd neglected - talking it through.

I'm OK. I mentioned it to my mam briefly, but I sincerely doubt that I've ever really been depressed in the proper sense of the world. I'm just not the best person at dealing with how I feel and life isn't the most jaw-droppingly amazing thing ever at the moment. But I'm dealing with it. Being inside my head isn't the best craic at the moment, but it's gonna get better. I've talked about it, released some of those hidden thoughts and now it's like they're gone, and it's OK.

So that went on for far too long, and it didn't come out the way it is in my head at all but that's it anyway. I'm probably gonna regret typing out all this, it's like the total anti-me but one of the few things that has remained constant since I started posting here (more than two years ago now, time be crazy) is how brilliant this thread is. So people, anyone who actually made it as far as here, TALK. Heck, if you want to talk, talk to me. Talk to anyone. It'll help, I promise. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Really good post Slow Show, it's great to get whatever you can out :)

I think the most important thing to remember is that it's okay to feel sad. It's okay not to be happy. It's not strange or unusual. In fact, it's a lot more normal than most people think. You just need to talk, you need to share that burden with other people. Being down is shít and sometimes it feels like it'll last forever. But you just have to keep going, you have to keep pushing forward and keep hoping that one day, it'll be better.

Depression comes in many different forms and can affect anyone, no matter what age or background or gender you are. In fact, my Mum mentioned to me yesterday that she heard a piece on the radio about suicides in the over 60s increasing in Ireland in the last few years. Indeed, today when I went to see my psychiatrist, both people ahead of me were definitely over 60, one of them over 70. Yet they were here to see the same man as me, to discuss several mental issues. That just really made me think that it doesn't matter who you are - mental illness can still affect you.

Speaking of going to the psychiatrist, I got some good news :) I'll be reducing my anti-depressant dosage slightly once my exams are for in May. After 2 years of being on a fairly high dose of these pills, I'm so excited to be ready to start getting rid of them.

The last thing I want to say is to talk. Just please talk. It's not worth it to live unhappy. It's just not worth it.

Its great you've been able to type that out slow show :) better out than in. If you ever need an ear to bend, don't hestitate to give me a bell ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jorges

Great post Slow_Show :) I can relate a lot to what you are writing and it's really good to hear that you have a massive weight off your shoulders. Onwards and upwards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

May as well spam this place too. I'm doing a 5k run in May for Pieta House, which relies mainly on donations to stay open. It's had over 4000 people through it's doors which is worryingly increasing and needs as much support as possible to maintain their incredible service. Any donation no matter how small would be hugely appreciated as this service is really close to my heart - currently attending the Lucan branch ATM for the second time. So if you can, please donate a small amount at http://www.mycharity.ie/event/aine_hearys_event/ . Thanks a million in advance guys.

May as well spam this place too. I'm doing a 5k run in May for Pieta House, which relies mainly on donations to stay open. It's had over 4000 people through it's doors which is worryingly increasing and needs as much support as possible to maintain their incredible service. Any donation no matter how small would be hugely appreciated as this service is really close to my heart - currently attending the Lucan branch ATM for the second time. So if you can, please donate a small amount at http://www.mycharity.ie/event/aine_hearys_event/ . Thanks a million in advance guys.

You should all donate(I'm going too) pieta house is a super brilliant organization. Well not you should like I'm telling you to, but I'm highly recommending it. Also been to the lucan branch :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Leftyflip

I'll be happy to donate a few quid, but can't do it online. Is cash acceptable? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

I've gone to post here so many times, but I've always ended up chickening out, it's not like I've gone through half of what some of the people in here have. I've never spoken to anyone about this sort of stuff. I've always been like that though, I always bottle things up, I'm always the one checking if other people are ok and acting cheery. Its never the other way around.

Since I left school things have been pretty shít. First it was the whole not liking college thing, the drifting away from all my friends and then some family stuff that went on. I was in a really bad place for a while. It got slightly better when I left UCD, but not much. That period of about a year until I started college again were really bad. I don't know if it was having so much free time and nothing to do all day but think but I was really down. I completely lost all motivation to do anything, I felt like life was just passing me by and it was going great for everyone. To be honest, it wasn't even that I felt sad all the time, I just felt empty inside.

Things have gotten better since I started college and working, but I've noticed lately that I have more free time, that not a lot seems to have changed. It's as if any time I actually have time to stop and think I end up right back in that place. It seems as if I've just been fooling myself that things are ok now, by keeping busy all the time. A lot of stuff has also happened in the last month or so which has brought all this to a head, and has brought me back to where I was. Where before, when I was cooking or keeping busy I'd be distracted, but lately it feels like the emptiness is taking over again. Even when I try and be happy, it feels as though its always just there, lurking in the background. I just feel so isolated and fake all the time. I'm getting so tired of pretending to be happy. I just want to run away.

I'm not really sure why I'm posting this, or if I expect everything to suddenly get better, but I dunno I thought I should get it out there. There's a strong possibility that I'll end up deleting this in a few days though.

Its very good you got it out :) first step is saying it, blah blah. Have you told anyone this... who isn't on the internet? About feeling sad and empty all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

That was well written and explained perfectly how you feel - always good to talk, even if it's hard to find the words :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

Its very good you got it out :) first step is saying it, blah blah. Have you told anyone this... who isn't on the internet? About feeling sad and empty all the time.

No, I've never spoken to anyone about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Jamie Starr

Pigwidgeon wrote: »
    No, I've never spoken to anyone about it.

You should if you can, maybe not to a medical professional or a parent right away, because they might make you more worried that you need to be, or make it seem like a more isolated case than it is. Those empty feelings, they're not good and shouldn't be how you feel, but if there's one thing you can see from this thread, is that tons of people your age have times when they feel like nothing's going right, with varying degrees of severity. Chances are a friend, or someone on boards could help you out with a chat, before you try to go to a GP about it.

Defining what it is that makes you feel all (CUSTOM BAKERY METAPHOR IN ORDER TO GAIN EMOTIONAL TRUST) crumby is important, as it's a step towards solving it, and people you trust can help you identify the problems and solutions- having someone close who understands is great as well, because it means they lay off you a bit when they recognise you're down.

It's a similar situation with me, in that, I'm an emotional vending machine. I sometimes have a lot of things bottled up inside that only come out when....people...insert money...into me and then...bang on the glass...until the emotions fall out...

THE POINT IS that using the ol' "tell no-one until I explode" method of emotional disclosure, whilst it is my personal favourite mode of communication, is very stressful for you and anyone trying to help you out, because it usually results in indiscriminate craziness, which can antagonise people. Though it's difficult to broach the topic ("So, has anybody been feeling a bit of a vortex within their soul lately?"), that awkwardness is usually nothing compared to having your mother throw a carton of yoghurt at you, like...what happened...to my friend.. Jim.

If you let these things bother you until you can't function, it's not going to make life any easier. At least people know if you tell them, they might not be able to solve it right away, but like I said, understand the odd mood swing and, shockingly enough, not everyone in the world is 100% super-happy all the time, so they probably felt as aimless as you at one point or another.

And if none of that persuades you, then I'll have to use the only recourse left at a time like this: a gigantic photo of Dr. Phil pointing at you.

dr-phil-mcgraw.jpg?d=600

Let's pray no-one ever has to do something this drastic again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 deepseacreature

Hello everybody,

Im deepseacreature (I was formally hitlersson666) I was one of many boardsies who had followed the dcu thread about Paul. Pyg was one of many people who in my earlier days who had told me over pm to cop on. He was a lovely poster. One who I had followed a lot, so as you may expect I was quite saddened over the event over the last week. I actually thought this was going to end on a positive note. But the reason I'm hear is to tell people that actually things improve.

They don't improve instantly but they do. All round us things change. Problems you may be facing now you might find yourself laughing about in a couple of weeks. It has happened to me. While I myself have been suffering from depression I realized that if I work at when I want to things might be better.

I decided this year to work at what I want. You know what that is? I want to make a video game! I even have the story and the name for it! You might think that's impossible and ya know what so do I. But I'm starting but working towards video game development. And thats my goal. And for you, you should set yourself a goal and a backup in case it does not go to plan. I know it sounds so stupid posting this but I myself have lost both classmates and family members to suicide. It hurts for everybody. There friends and family.

My mother lost her brother to suicide. She has never been the same. It hurts me too see her like that. Regularly she would mention if she lost any of my brothers or sisters she would never survive it. This is one of the things that keeps me going. The realization that I matter to some people and that my mother depends on me. I often think about ending my life I even tried it before unfortunately. I saw nothing but I moved on and saw things improved and set myself a goal.

What I'm trying to say is that you need to set a goal for yourself. One that makes you think I can achieve that! A goal that keeps you working.

You need to talk if feeling down. People care and will listen!! Over on reddit there's a boards called r/suicidewatch the name may sound intimidating but there is always someone to listen and to talk to. Myself included. We should all look out for each other here. Boards is a lovely place with many people all willing to listen and talk. Many thread to have a rant on.

I may be going on too long but if you get anything out of this it's that your actions affect everyone.

This post may seem stupid. Probably so because I had been drinking with friends and we had remembered someone we had lost. It made me sad and wondered if we actually listened to him could we have helped.

You're only teenagers now. TBH NOTHING is important now. College means nothing. If you want to do something there is always another way to do it.
    Sometimes making a mistake is worth it. It can make you realize your not happy doing something. A course not working for you? Do something else! Experiment. What you may think you want is not necessarily what you actually want to do. Social care not working? Try vet nursing ]., Worked for a long time friend and there much happier now. Before you go for a course try a weeks work experience in the area. You'll get a feel for it then.

Ok I've definitely gone on too long now. What I'm really trying to say is JUST TALK!! Nothing is permanent except death. That should give you a idea. Life is versatile. Do what you want and be happy!

Good Luck Deepseacreature :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Welcome back, lad. :) Good post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

i think depression is obviously becoming more common, lack of money and no job has me down a lot of late.

im young enough but its not healthy at any age, just goes to show money really does make the world go around.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 deepseacreature

Welcome back, lad. :) Good post.

Thanks I just noticed I won a Jizzler. Interesting to have a thread I made in 2010 still be discussed in 2012.

Also I wish mod's could edit the number of the Samaritans/Childline into my original post due to the nature of the thread. Might help someone I hope.

Advertisement