Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggie Cookbook - opinions please!

Options
  • 15-01-2010 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

This is just an update about the vegetarian cookbook idea that I posted in the other thread. Hope it's okay to start a new one, that one was several pages long and I want this one to be more succinct :p

We have a couple of recipes being tested already, but before proceeding further I just have a couple of questions...

1) Would you submit a recipe?
    2) Would you buy a copy? It would probably be around the €30 mark.
    3) Do you think enough copies could be sold to generate a decent amount of money for charity?
    4) Does anyone want to volunteer to help out in the following areas; design, promotion, recipe testing (those who haven't already!)

I need to know whether the book could actually be pulled together before I go ahead with calls for submissions etc

Right now the submission process I'm thinking of is to email to boardscookbook[at]gmail[dot]com, I'll post the submitted recipes in the testing forum and they'll be tried out by our expert panel ;)

If anyone has any other thoughts, do post them :)

Comments

1) I will get around to making submissions honest!
    2) I would buy it.
    3) I wouldn't usually spend 30 euro on a cookbook. Although that might
    be because I'm scabby and studenty. So I just don't know, the fact
    that it is for charity might help.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

1) I'll try and think of one!
    2) Yes
    3) No idea.
    4) Maameeo might help with design, she's great at it...I might help at eating/testing, I'm great at it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

3) Do you think enough copies could be sold to generate a decent amount of money for charity?
    4) Does anyone want to volunteer to help out in the following areas; design, promotion, recipe testing (those who haven't already!)

1) Already have done, and there's more, too :)
    2) Definitely. I think it might be a good idea to try and bring it out maybe in November, as christmas is a good time when people buy books for gifts, and are more willing to pay extra for charity.
    3) I think it should be possible. We'd need to get as much publicity as we can, though.
    4) Testing, and I can try my hand at promoting, too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

1) i shall. - pictures required?
    2) i will
    3) hopefully
    4) cant commit at the mo.. hopefully in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

It'd have to be a damn nice (and innovative) cook book for 30 euro for me to buy it, could it be cheaper realistically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

It'd have to be a damn nice (and innovative) cook book for 30 euro for me to buy it, could it be cheaper realistically?

Yeah, I know it's fairly pricey. The €30 figure is based on blurb's pricing and a mark-up that would be donated to charity. If I could find somewhere cheaper it'd be great, but blurb's printing quality is pretty good.

To be honest, I'm wondering if it's feasible. There's a lot of (free) resources on the internet for vegetarian cooking, I'm wondering if it would actually sell...

Alternatively, we could do it for free for the forum users to download, like this guys cookbooks (which are good) http://www.vitalita.com/vcg/cookbooks/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Alternatively, we could do it for free for the forum users to download, like this guys cookbooks (which are good) http://www.vitalita.com/vcg/cookbooks/

I think thats a good idea.
    If anyone wants to as an alternative to raising money through the book, ye can help us organise a BBQ-mini festival at our place next summer and raise money for animal welfare that way. We're thinking of getting a few bands and DJ's but nothings certain yet as it depends on getting the start up capital and not p*ssing the crap out of the neighbours. Also parking may be an issue but we're thinking a neighbour might lend us a field for that.

Yeah, I'd prefer to keep it as a freebie. The logistics of selling it would almost make the work unequal to the amount of money it would generate. Also, this way it could be updated regularly with new stuff.

Nice idea about the BBQ fest, keep us posted on how that develops! I might even know some bands/DJ's here who'd be willing to make the trip down for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

1: I don't think so as I don't think any recipe I have is very original or interesting and the ones that are are clearly from other cookbooks so there is the whole copyright issue.

2: At 30 quid I would have to say no - I wouldn't spend that much on a cookbook even for charity. Is it hardcover or softcover, is it colour or black and white, how manys pages, what is the paperstock - all of these would need to answered to justify a 30 cover price. There are a number of much cheaper printers out there. Look at some of the other POD's like FAM or Comixpress and rethink your presentation. Full colour printing is stupidly pricey while really good black and white/grayscale can look just as good. I put a charity comic together - 100 pages grayscale full colour cover and sold for 7 euro. Soft cover is better then hardcover price wise - stapple binding is cheaper then perfect bind but it depends on the number of pages and paperstock. Are you looking to make a pretty coffee table book which do sell at those prices or a cookbook people can use?

3 see answer 2

Sorry for the negative comments but worth thinking about this now before spending time and money on a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

This one is really good if you're into Japanese food (shame on you if not!)
    Japanese Vegetarian Cooking: From Simple Soups to Sushi

• Advertisement

ztoical wrote: »
    1: I don't think so as I don't think any recipe I have is very original or interesting and the ones that are are clearly from other cookbooks so there is the whole copyright issue.

2: At 30 quid I would have to say no - I wouldn't spend that much on a cookbook even for charity. Is it hardcover or softcover, is it colour or black and white, how manys pages, what is the paperstock - all of these would need to answered to justify a 30 cover price. There are a number of much cheaper printers out there. Look at some of the other POD's like FAM or Comixpress and rethink your presentation. Full colour printing is stupidly pricey while really good black and white/grayscale can look just as good. I put a charity comic together - 100 pages grayscale full colour cover and sold for 7 euro. Soft cover is better then hardcover price wise - stapple binding is cheaper then perfect bind but it depends on the number of pages and paperstock. Are you looking to make a pretty coffee table book which do sell at those prices or a cookbook people can use?

3 see answer 2

Sorry for the negative comments but worth thinking about this now before spending time and money on a project.

I can't argue with you here :)
    From looking into it I don't think it's a viable fundraiser. If it's going to be done it'll be for free and unlikely to be printed. It would be a nice resource to have though, all the nice recipes that float around here consolidated in one place...
    I wanted to do something for the GSPCA but there may be better ways.

I'm really liking the cooking club idea on the main forum.
    One of my friends has recently given up vegetarianism, after probably 19 years.
    The main problem, was that she didn't ever learn to cook with different vegetarian staples. Her nutrition suffered as a result.
    I think an ongoing feature like that would be a great way of learning from each other, and fun.
    And we could compile the good recipes into a pdf.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

1) I have an idea, if it isn't already in there.
    2) I'll buy it but like most never get around to reading it.
    3) I'm sure of it. make sure it one of the cool charities though.
    4) recipe tasting I can do that. gimme all your food

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm really liking the cooking club idea on the main forum.
    One of my friends has recently given up vegetarianism, after probably 19 years.
    The main problem, was that she didn't ever learn to cook with different vegetarian staples. Her nutrition suffered as a result.
    I think an ongoing feature like that would be a great way of learning from each other, and fun.
    And we could compile the good recipes into a pdf.

I just had a look at the cooking club thread, sounds interesting :) I like the idea of doing something like that here, would be more fun and inclusive than putting together a cookbook would be...
    So... vegetarian cooking club? :P

I just had a look at the cooking club thread, sounds interesting :) I like the idea of doing something like that here, would be more fun and inclusive than putting together a cookbook would be...
    So... vegetarian cooking club? :P

Well I'm game :D

Advertisement