Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tofutti Cream Spread

Options
  • 15-01-2010 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

I usually avoid 'products' that have gone through a lot of processing and eat a lot of home-made foods and wholegrains and thought I'd just have to forget about butter, milk chocolate and ice-cream when I went vegan (a week ago so I'm a newbie to non-dairy although I've had 11 years experience as a veggie).

ANYWAY, the tofutti spread is absolutey delicious and my carnivore husband is likely to finish off the pot before I do. I bought it in "The Health Store" yesterday and will be back!
    I also got a carton of Swedish Glace Rich Chocolate 'ice-cream' and it is again really good. I definitely recommend them both!

I'm finding it really easy to be vegan so far. :D

I am very keen to remain on a wholefoods and non-processed diet but hey, every now and then it's really nice to know these things exist.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

You can even get Tofutti in some big Dunnes :) And your next expensive step is to buy Booja Booja Hunky Punky Chocolate Ice-Cream (even available in small tubs in Blazing Salads) and mmmmm the Maple Pecan flavour (my fav). Expensive, but delicious. And if you read the ingredients you will be pleased. Delcious and good! see here

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

Losing weight as a vegan is going to be difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Steffi

I have never seen Tofutti in Dunnes, which Dunnes do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Cornelscourt (a great big 24 hour Dunnes) used to have it. Not sure if they still do with all the cut backs, but it was a regular thing before. I don't regularly buy it because it's such a treat :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Don't be fooled into thinking that the tofutti spreads are healthy compared to regular cream cheese, most of the flavours had partially hydrogenated vegetable oil in them last time I checked. They're seriously heavily processed foods.
    Heres something just as good, way healthier and cheaper:
    Strain a big carton of natural soya yoghurt (or regular cows milk yoghurt too) through a jay cloth or bit of muslin in a collander over night with a small weight on top and a bowl underneath.
    Next morning oyu'll have a firm philadelphia like substance which you can season with garlic, herbs, soy sauce, olives, sundried tomatos, chilli, sweet chili sauce, seeds, nutritional yeast etc...
    It's also 0% fat pretty much if you care about such things ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Steffi

I tried toffuti when I first went vegan but didn't really care for it, or any other cheese substitutes now that I think about it. Houmous has filled any small cheese-shaped gap in my life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Tofutti cream cheese is gorgeous, especially the one with chives in it! I got some over Christmas because the boyfriend loves cream cheese and cranberry sauce on crackers and I hate to be left out. So I got some, had never tried it before, and it was lovely - even the boyfriend loved it and admitted he couldn't really tell the difference. It makes me sad, because everyone should eat it instead of regular cream cheese, it would mean far fewer cows would suffer in the dairy industry...:(

Advertisement