Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whitlock .vs. Taylor for Premier League Opener

Options
  • 14-01-2010 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

A World Championship final rematch between Phil Taylor and Simon Whitlock will raise the curtain on a new season of Premier League darts on February 11.

The ever-popular Premier League roadshow kicks-off at the O2 Arena on Thursday February 11 - in the first if 14 weekly rounds televised live on Sky Sports, and in HD, ahead of the finals weekend.

And the tournament could not have a better opening night with the action culminating in a rematch of the high-quality final witnessed at the Alexandra Palace just a few weeks ago.

Australian Whitlock played some stunning darts to make the final and pushed 'The Power' all the way but just lost the crucial legs as Taylor claimed a 15th world title.

A reward for Whitlock is a Sky Sports wildcard spot in the Premier League - and an immediate shot at revenge against four-time winner Taylor - who lost his crown last year with a semi-final defeat against Mervyn King.

Whitlock defeated Raymond van Barneveld, Terry Jenkins and eventual Premier League winner James Wade at Ally Pally, so the big names along with the big crowd will hold no fear for him.

Defending champion Wade plays world number two Raymond van Barneveld in another huge clash on the opening night, while Ronnie Baxter celebrates his return to Premier League Darts against Jenkins and King, the 2009 runner-up, takes on the second Sky Sports Wildcard Adrian Lewis.

The second week, at the BIC in Bournemouth, sees van Barneveld take on Lewis at the scene of the Dutchman's nine-dart finish in the 2006 Premier League Darts, when he hit a perfect leg against Peter Manley.

Wade will meet King in Bournemouth in a repeat of last year's final, while Taylor takes on Baxter and Jenkins faces Whitlock.

The visit to Belfast in week three sees Taylor meet Wade, who took victory over the world number one at the Odyssey Arena in 2009, while Whitlock takes on van Barneveld.

The clashes between the players ranked one and two in the world, Taylor and van Barneveld, will take place on week four in Exeter and week eight in Cardiff.

Each league night will be played from 7pm-10pm and screened live on Sky Sports in High Definition. League games are the best of 14 legs, with two points awarded for a win (first player to eight legs) or one point awarded for a 7-7 draw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

2010 Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts Fixtures
    Week One
    February 11 - The O2, London
    Ronnie Baxter v Terry Jenkins
    Mervyn King v Adrian Lewis
    Raymond van Barneveld v James Wade
    Simon Whitlock v Phil Taylor
    Tickets: 0844 856 0202 or www.theo2.co.uk

Week Two
    February 18 - BIC, Bournemouth
    Adrian Lewis v Raymond van Barneveld
    Terry Jenkins v Simon Whitlock
    Phil Taylor v Ronnie Baxter
    James Wade v Mervyn King
    Tickets: 0844 576 3000 or www.bic.co.uk

Week Three
    February 25 - Odyssey Arena, Belfast
    Mervyn King v Ronnie Baxter
    Adrian Lewis v Terry Jenkins
    Simon Whitlock v Raymond van Barneveld
    Phil Taylor v James Wade
    Tickets: 02890 739 074/0844 277 4455 or www.odysseyarena.com

Week Four
    March 4 - Westpoint Arena, Exeter
    James Wade v Adrian Lewis
    Ronnie Baxter v Simon Whitlock
    Mervyn King v Terry Jenkins
    Raymond van Barneveld v Phil Taylor
    Tickets: 0844 99 99 55 or www.ticketzone.co.uk

Week Five
    March 11 - M.E.N. Arena, Manchester
    James Wade v Ronnie Baxter
    Phil Taylor v Mervyn King
    Terry Jenkins v Raymond van Barneveld
    Adrian Lewis v Simon Whitlock
    Tickets: 0844 847 8000 or www.men-arena.com

Week Six
    March 18 - The Brighton Centre
    Phil Taylor v Terry Jenkins
    Raymond van Barneveld v Mervyn King
    Ronnie Baxter v Adrian Lewis
    Simon Whitlock v James Wade
    Tickets: 0844 847 1515 or www.brightoncentre.co.uk

Week Seven
    March 25 - NIA, Birmingham
    Mervyn King v Simon Whitlock
    James Wade v Terry Jenkins
    Raymond van Barneveld v Ronnie Baxter
    Adrian Lewis v Phil Taylor
    Tickets: 0844 338 8000 or www.theticketfactory.com

Week Eight
    April 1 - CIA, Cardiff
    Terry Jenkins v Mervyn King
    Simon Whitlock v Ronnie Baxter
    Adrian Lewis v James Wade
    Phil Taylor v Raymond van Barneveld
    Tickets: 02920 22 44 88 or www.livenation.co.uk

Week Nine
    April 8 - SECC, Glasgow
    Raymond van Barneveld v Adrian Lewis
    Simon Whitlock v Terry Jenkins
    Ronnie Baxter v Phil Taylor
    Mervyn King v James Wade
    Tickets: 0844 395 4000 or www.ticketSOUP.com

Week Ten
    April 15 - Sheffield Arena
    Terry Jenkins v Adrian Lewis
    Ronnie Baxter v Mervyn King
    James Wade v Phil Taylor
    Raymond van Barneveld v Simon Whitlock
    Tickets: 0114 256 5656 or www.sheffieldarena.co.uk

Week 11
    April 22 - Liverpool Echo Arena
    Terry Jenkins v Ronnie Baxter
    James Wade v Raymond van Barneveld
    Adrian Lewis v Mervyn King
    Phil Taylor v Simon Whitlock
    Tickets: 0844 8000 400 or www.echoarena.com

Week 12
    April 29 - AECC, Aberdeen
    Ronnie Baxter v James Wade
    Mervyn King v Phil Taylor
    Raymond van Barneveld v Terry Jenkins
    Simon Whitlock v Adrian Lewis
    Tickets: 08444 77 9000 or www.aecc.co.uk

Week 13
    May 6 - Metro Radio Arena, Newcastle
    Adrian Lewis v Ronnie Baxter
    Mervyn King v Raymond van Barneveld
    James Wade v Simon Whitlock
    Terry Jenkins v Phil Taylor
    Tickets: 0844 493 6666 or www.metroradioarena.co.uk

Week 14
    May 13 - Trent FM Arena, Nottingham
    Simon Whitlock v Mervyn King
    Terry Jenkins vJames Wade
    Ronnie Baxter v Raymond van Barneveld
    Phil Taylor v Adrian Lewis
    Tickets: 0844 124 624 or www.trentfmarenanottingham.com

Play-Offs
    May 23 - Wembley Arena, London
    Semi-Finals & Final
    Tickets: 0844 815 0 815 or www.wembleyarena.co.uk

2010 Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts
    Prize Fund
    Winner £125,000
    Runner-Up £65,000
    Semi-Finalists £40,000
    5th Place £32,500
    6th Place £30,000
    7th Place £27,500
    8th Place £25,000
    High Checkout (Per Night) £1,000
    Total £400,000

Tournament Information:
    Each player will play every other player twice. Matches to be billed home and away, indicating who will throw first in each match.
    Matches to be played over 14 legs of 501 in the league section of the event. The first player to win eight legs will be deemed to be the winner of the match and no further legs will be played after this point. Four matches will be played per league night.
    The top four players in the league table after the completion of the 14 league nights will progress to the play-offs at the Wembley Arena. Semi-Final matches to be played over the best of 19 legs and the Final to be played over the best of 25 legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jbone07

It was a great final entertainment wise, I wouldn't agree that Whitlock pushed him all the way though. Looking forward to seeing can the wizard take that form into the PL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Twas a sky sports article, so not my opinion

but i think in the first 5 sets, Whitlock gave as good as he got, he seems to be quick off the mark and if he can catch taylor cold, in a first to 8 could DEFINITELY give taylor a shock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Can't wait for this to start, am getting withdrawl symptoms after watching every game on sky recently.
    I reckon Whitlock will give a good account of himself and possibly cause a few upsets along the way.
    Glad to see Adie there aswell, he has been playing great stuff and hope he can keep it going and forget the trashing from Taylor.
    Jenks has been a bit hot and cold lately but would like to see a return to form.
    I don't expect much from barney, he looks a different player lately, maybe its the diabetes. I am sure he will come back stronger at some point in the season though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

What a lineup we're getting in Belfast!! YEHAW!

Taylor Vs Wade (2nd consecutive year)...can Taylor avenge last year's defeat?
    Whitlock Vs Barney

:D Can't wait for this now!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Devastator wrote: »
    What a lineup we're getting in Belfast!! YEHAW!

Taylor Vs Wade (2nd consecutive year)...can Taylor avenge last year's defeat?
    Whitlock Vs Barney

:D Can't wait for this now!:D
    Your'e a lucky hoor to be able to walk down the road to it :D:D
    Great match-ups there.
    Enjoy and don't forget to wave at the cameras maybe waving a big poster saying hello to all your housebound buddies on Boards ;)

Your'e a lucky hoor to be able to walk down the road to it :D:D
    Great match-ups there.
    Enjoy and don't forget to wave at the cameras maybe waving a big poster saying hello to all your housebound buddies on Boards ;)

sorry, little correction...walk down the road via a few pubs to it :D

Probably nowhere near camera;s(phew!), in the stands this year. Group of us going as part of a stag w'end & couldn't get table :(

sorry, little correction...walk down the road via a few pubs to it :D

Probably nowhere near camera;s(phew!), in the stands this year. Group of us going as part of a stag w'end & couldn't get table :(
    Amazing that they always build pubs in our paths, terrible planning :D:D

Amazing that they always build pubs in our paths, terrible planning :D:D

Yeah :mad: I'm such a subborn f**k I make a point of walking right through them....but they're usually very forgiving of my attitude and even offer refreshments for putting it there right in your way

Yeah :mad: I'm such a subborn f**k I make a point of walking right through them....but they're usually very forgiving of my attitude and even offer refreshments for putting it there right in your way
    Yep very forgiving are pub Landlords, acommodating too:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jbone07

Twas a sky sports article, so not my opinion

but i think in the first 5 sets, Whitlock gave as good as he got, he seems to be quick off the mark and if he can catch taylor cold, in a first to 8 could DEFINITELY give taylor a shock

I totally agree. I think it comes down to conditioning. I think Whitlock will be more up for it then Taylor will be after No.15. Gonna put my cash where my mouth is before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ramcelt23

dont mean to change subject but am headin to belfast again this year, was great atmosphere last year, but any1 have info on where the players stayed last year?? were stayin in hilton this year coz heard a rumour it cud be there, any info be great!!

ramcelt23 wrote: »
    dont mean to change subject but am headin to belfast again this year, was great atmosphere last year, but any1 have info on where the players stayed last year?? were stayin in hilton this year coz heard a rumour it cud be there, any info be great!!

Heard Wade was staying in Radisson 2 years ago, but some may be going out of city centre to likes of Culloden. It put up the england team when they played norn iron few years back

what does it matter??

doesnt matter in the slightest 1 of the guys is coming with us for first time and was hoping to meet few of them thats all

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Anyone heading up to Belfast for the premier league

yep sure am!! was great atmosphere last year at it

Advertisement