Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Medical & How long have you been waiting?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭rocky911

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Obviously additional Reserves are not on anyone's priority list

While I disagree with you..it is very true !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

I can't see why both full time and Reserves can't be kept going together.

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Obviously additional Reserves are not on anyone's priority list

I also disagree with this statement.

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    I also disagree with this statement.

No offence Runner, you really do not realize the gulf that exists between the Reserves and FT members. Its not attitudes or opinions is the issue, its the fact that we are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike at the best of times. Untill changes are made by management in order rectify this and improve what Reserves can do..IMO and I mean this as a personally view.. the program needs to be shaken up before anymore join.

rocky911 wrote: »
    No offence Runner, you really do not realize the gulf that exists between the Reserves and FT members. Its not attitudes or opinions is the issue, its the fact that we are as useful as an ashtray on a motorbike at the best of times. Untill changes are made by management in order rectify this and improve what Reserves can do..IMO and I mean this as a personally view.. the program needs to be shaken up before anymore join.

No I get you completely Rockey911 , I just think they could be just as prority as the full time if they were giving more powers, Do you think that when or if thesw new powers are given it will make a difference ?

• Advertisement

No I get you completely Rockey911 , I just think they could be just as prority as the full time if they were giving more powers, Do you think that when or if thesw new powers are given it will make a difference ?

Not a at all...RTA powers arent worth a w**k to be very honest.. I say with 3 years, Ive done 3/4 checkpoints tops. Its fdishing out powers but its the paper that goes with it will cause issues I think as the FT member who will end up getting it in the neck if you make a hams of it like.

Just giving powers is not going to solve the issue what so ever.

rocky911 wrote: »
    Not a at all...RTA powers arent worth a w**k to be very honest.. I say with 3 years, Ive done 3/4 checkpoints tops. Its fdishing out powers but its the paper that goes with it will cause issues I think as the FT member who will end up getting it in the neck if you make a hams of it like.

Just giving powers is not going to solve the issue what so ever.

But if they made it more like the Specials in the UK surely that would improve the view of the Reserves. I do understand were your coming from though ,10 years on and still no real improvement . how do you like being a Reserve though Rocky911 ? Do you enjoy the work?

But if they made it more like the Specials in the UK surely that would improve the view of the Reserves. I do understand were your coming from though ,10 years on and still no real improvement . how do you like being a Reserve though Rocky911 ? Do you enjoy the work?

Thats the broken record on repllay bud, people forget the Specials in the UK are in existence over 100 years and we are only on the go 10.. alot to happy yet. I enjoy it,in it now 3 years

3 years fair play man ., Would you like to go Full time ?

3 years fair play man ., Would you like to go Full time ?

If you asked me 6 months ago, I would have said yes, now Im not sure.

• Advertisement

Talking to a Reserve Garda today , he said he knows a few in Templemore ,from what he has herd they plan having a class in September, Now I duno how true this is its just what he said to me , To be honest i hope its not true and they plan to do more before then but how and ever thats what I herd just thought id let any1 waiting on a medical know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 Dub94

Talking to a Reserve Garda today , he said he knows a few in Templemore ,from what he has herd they plan having a class in September, Now I duno how true this is its just what he said to me , To be honest i hope its not true and they plan to do more before then but how and ever thats what I herd just thought id let any1 waiting on a medical know.
    I pray it's not true as im going away in September

every1 has a different story , best just to see how it plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭donman

Hi All,haven't really been on here for a number of years,basically due to thinking that my application wasn't going anywhere,but out of the blue i got called for the medical back in May.Thought I was the luckiest person on the planet when i passed and given date for September.Then,September gets cancelled and given provisional date of November.Again cancelled.Gutted is an understatement and my application will be 4 years on the go in February '16.Is there any truth in that the Medical only lasts 6 months?If so,I really think this is so unfair.Many thanks all,and really hope i see the day that I can drive in the gates of the college to begin training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Doyouevenlift9

donman wrote: »
    Hi All,haven't really been on here for a number of years,basically due to thinking that my application wasn't going anywhere,but out of the blue i got called for the medical back in May.Thought I was the luckiest person on the planet when i passed and given date for September.Then,September gets cancelled and given provisional date of November.Again cancelled.Gutted is an understatement and my application will be 4 years on the go in February '16.Is there any truth in that the Medical only lasts 6 months?If so,I really think this is so unfair.Many thanks all,and really hope i see the day that I can drive in the gates of the college to begin training.

I'm so sickened about it aswell. Will be 3 years for me soon. Ya medicals only last 6months so il have to do another, but I douth I will tbh think I'm guna knock this on the head and wait to get a full time position

Thanks for the reply and info on the Medicals Doyouevenlift9.Thats disappointing to hear that they have to be done again,through no fault of anyone currently waiting to start training,due to continual cancellation.Well,I wouldn't throw in the towel now,when your at this stage,I mean,you have it in sight now.Sadly,I'm not in a position for Fulltime,due to age limit,but had tried over the years,so this is my opportunity to be part of something i've always wanted to do.Not looking forward to having to do a 2nd medical,as the chance on failing is always there.Now that would be a Big blow at this stage,after everything.Thanks again for your reply.Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Copaholic

With the college now open there is no reason as to why at least one class of reserves couldn't be taken in but I suppose reserves are not or never were a priority with AGS.

Copaholic wrote: »
    With the college now open there is no reason as to why at least one class of reserves couldn't be taken in but I suppose reserves are not or never were a priority with AGS.

Copaholic, its funny you should say that, because after hearing the cancellation of the next class I wrote a email saying how disheartened I was and how can't they fit one class a year in ?, and I even said ino the full time is the priority, and since I am waiting so long I think I deserve answers .
    And do ya think I got any, No I didn't !!!all I got was focus is on full time and they would be in touch when GR training commerces back . but I'm back at medical stage now again because I had my medical 6 months ago so it has expired . so I'm going backwards not foward . :/

to be honest its nothing short of a disgrace the manner in which the whole reserve is being managed , represented and run.

You have many people trying to get in to the reserve and gain as much experience as possible and nothing happening and then you have significant number of reserves with 3,4,5 and 6+ years experience trying to get into the fulltime and no recognition whatsoever being made of their service in the recruitment campaign---what ever happened to "previous experience is and advantage"
    what ever way you look at the reserves objectively, they are being poorly treated and represented.
    just my opinion of course but it might be well echoed

You are a Reserve yourself ? i really thought this was my year i even told a few people i was starting ,. I found out of a lad who knows someone in the garda college and he reckons they wont be any GR classes next year at all by the looks of it , and if there is it would be late next year , thats so sad i think that they have people here willing to start and they just dont care and give no answers.

• Advertisement

Not a reserve myself but know someone who is.
    They are either having an intake of reserves or they are not and why someone cant make a decisive decision and inform potential reserves of this I really don't know but the system shows a significant lack of competencies , the very ones they supposedly select for for in the recruitment campaign.
    I can only advise based on past history that anyone out there hoping to join the reserves , please don't hold your breath and for those reserves hoping to get fulltime, please don't hold your breath--there are no guarantees.

All you can do is not to put your life on hold and just keep trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Hyneser03

sfhawke7w wrote: »
    my bmi is over 30 but am working on so fingers crossed.

did medical for reserve when they were first recruiting and my bmi was just above 30 and i passed, so fingers crossed

Hi my BMI is 28 do u think that will be ok to pass ?

Hyneser03 wrote: »

Your perfectly fine with a BMI of 28.Best of luck on your medical date.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Jamie83

From what u have been told they are not strict on BMI I know guys that got through with BMI in high 30's

Ok that’s perfect thanks guys I was worried there
    Are ye reserves urselfs?

Ok that’s perfect thanks guys I was worried there
    Are ye reserves urselfs?
    No.Should have been in back in 2015 but training cancelled.Had to go through the whole process again,which I don't agree with.Waiting on my medical date.

No.Should have been in back in 2015 but training cancelled.Had to go through the whole process again,which I don't agree with.Waiting on my medical date.

Ah that’s ridiculous man I say u will get ur date soon where have u applied to be based ?

Ah that’s ridiculous man I say u will get ur date soon where have u applied to be based ?

Your telling me.6 years in February I've been waiting.IShould have 2 years done by now.I'm in Donegal.

Your telling me.6 years in February I've been waiting.IShould have 2 years done by now.I'm in Donegal.

Omg 6 years would u not try the full time ? Since ur waiting that long

• Advertisement

Omg 6 years would u not try the full time ? Since ur waiting that long

Sadly,I'm long past the age limit.If they keep me waiting many more years,I'll be at pension age,lol.

Advertisement