Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meat substitutes

Options
  • 13-01-2010 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Apologies if theres a thread on this, couldn't find it with a quick search. I'm not a vegetarian but I am heading in that direction.

I'm just wondering about meat substitutes, ie. fake meat products. I've never had any so am completely clueless on these. :D Are some better than others? I'm thinking in terms of taste, nutrients, availability and price.

Sorry this is a really simple question I know I could google it but I wanted to ask people who have experience with Irish shops.

Maybe meat substitutes is not the way to go anyway, but probably easiest for me as all I know how to cook is meat and two veg on sides really. Oh and toast. That too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Availability/Price
    Ok... fake meats easily available in Tesco (e.g. Tesco brand, Quorn {see here and here}, sometimes Cauldron) are usually 1) convenient, 2) cheaper. As with all products, the bigger the Tesco, the bigger the selection. They have some stuff in the freezer section and only if you are lucky, they will have some in the fridge section too, but that's rare.

You can buy fake meats in most health food stores that have a fridge (and even better a freezer). These are usually more expensive, but you get a good range. Also, brands available here include Redwood (an American company, see some products in our thread here) and Fry's (another American company). Due to the fact that they are imported they are a little more expensive.

Read about fake meat slices here

Read about where to shop for fake meats here

Some info on people's favourite fake meats here

Hope that helps! Not all fake meats are vegan (my diet) as some contain eggs, so I can't really compare taste much. I'm sure some of the other posters can help you out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Nice one thanks. I know it was really lazy of me but I am completely clueless. Very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Ah no, I've been in this forum since it began in 2005 (so I remember what kind of threads we've been through) and I've been veggie for 10 years now (wisdom ;)). Glad to help!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Just keep in mind that quorn use free range eggs, I'm not sure if tesco does in their meat sub products.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭iUseVi

Just keep in mind that quorn use free range eggs, I'm not sure if tesco does in their meat sub products.

Ok really? I wouldn't have expected that, seems strange to limit their market like that. Anyway thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

iUseVi wrote: »
    Hey,
    Maybe meat substitutes is not the way to go anyway, but probably easiest for me as all I know how to cook is meat and two veg on sides really. Oh and toast. That too.

Just warning that you don't cook most subsitutes like you'd cook meat... usually much faster/easier! Like quorn chicken pieces you can microwave in water for 6 mins straight from freezer then just quickly stir fry it, sounds weird but works perfectly.

Advertisement