Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lewis gets last Premier League spot

Options
  • 13-01-2010 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭

http://www.pdc.tv/page/PremierLeagueDetail/0,,10180~1930808,00.html

ADRIAN LEWIS is the second Sky Sports Wildcard for the 2010 Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts.
    The announcement of Lewis' return to Premier League Darts sees the 24-year-old, recently named as the PDC Young Player of the Year, complete the eight-player field for the tournament, which begins at The O2 in London on February 11.World number seven Lewis previously competed in Premier League Darts in 2007 and 2008, reaching the semi-finals two years ago before losing to Stoke rival and former practice partner Phil Taylor.

Lewis, who won two Players Championships in 2009 and hit the second nine-darter of his career, also lost to Taylor recently at the quarter-final stage of the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship.
    "Adrian has been rated as a great talent since he broke through over five years ago but he has shown a maturity and consistency in his game over the past six months," said PDC Chairman Barry Hearn.
    He is confident of challenging on a regular basis for darts' major titles now, starting at the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts, and we are all excited to see him back in this event. "His performances in the recent Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship were exceptional and we are looking forward to seeing that on a regular basis in the Whyte & Mackay Premier League Darts."

Lewis' inclusion sees him join the other Sky Sports Wildcard, Simon Whitlock, in competing alongside the top six players from the PDC Order of Merit - Phil Taylor, Raymond van Barneveld, James Wade, Terry Jenkins, Mervyn King and Ronnie Baxter - in the Premier League. The event will be played from February-May at 14 arenas around the UK, with the eight players meeting twice in a league format before the top four compete in the play-offs at Wembley Arena on May 23.

"I'm delighted to be given the Sky Sports Wildcard and hopefully it will be third time lucky in the Premier League for me," said Lewis. "I want to prove what I can do and win a major tournament and now I've got this chance I'm determined to take it.
    "I think I'm a more experienced player than when I played in the Premier League before. I know what to expect from the crowd and enjoy playing in front of the big crowds.
    "I'm a more consistent player than I was and if I can keep averaging over 100 week-in and week-out in the Premier League I'll be happy. My aim is to finish in the top two after 14 weeks and then look at the play-offs!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Abso friggin lutely

Best Premier League Lineup on offer ever

no part, no klassen, no mardle

Taylor, CLASS
    Wade, CLASS
    Barney, Moaney but potentially CLASS
    JENKINS, Classy Scrapper
    King, Quality Thrower
    Lewis, CLASS
    Whitlock, CLASS
    Baxter, CLASS

I think the league spots in 14 weeks will look like this

TAYLOR
    WADE
    WHITLOCK
    LEWIS
    BAXTER
    BARNEY
    JENKINS
    KING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Thats a joke.

Done nothing in league before and had a couple of good games in WC and he gets a spot.

He'll do nothing again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

he wasnt voted young player of the year for nothing and done a lot more than who some people wanted to see get the last spot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Definately has the potential to be a very close league.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Despite only getting to the Quarter Finals I think Lewis deserves his spot. The only other people that were in with a shout fr me were Anderson and Webster. Anderson has been a big disappointment so far and Webster has only got going since the World Championships.

Can't really argue with Lewis being picked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Devastator wrote: »
    Thats a joke.

Done nothing in league before and had a couple of good games in WC and he gets a spot.

You are wrong, hes the complete player now and will prove hes the second best player around this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Thats a joke.

At World No 7, he's actually the most entitled of a wild card

mdwexford wrote: »
    You are wrong, hes the complete player now and will prove hes the second best player around this year.

I don't think that he's even close to being no 2 in the World at the moment. Lewis has no consistancy or discipline yet. He's certainly getting there but he has a way to go yet.

I have no real problem with Lewis getting the wild card but there are alot of silly comments being made about him recently. He averaged 106, 104 etc in the WCs recently. Big deal. It is a number that only gives a certain amount of information but is not the be all and end all of judging a players performance or ability.

If a player hits straight tons against Taylor (or alot of other players for that matter) he will have a ton average (obviously) and very little if any shots at doubles, yet he will be lauded by Sid Waddell as having a ton average and still lost.

However if you can try to concentrate and win all your own legs, you may be in a far better position than the one above against Taylor with perhaps an average in the mid-late 90s. It's that basic concept which enabled John Part to beat Taylor in 4 out of 5 televised TV tournies in a row about 5 or 6 years ago.

As i said, i don't have a problem with Lewis getting the Wildcard but (not thread specific) some people seem to think he should get it because he averaged 106 in the World Championships. He doesn't, he deserves it because he combined some very good performances this year with being a quarter finalist in the Worlds and being World no. 7.

You are wrong

:rolleyes: not even allowed opinions now? :rolleyes:
    hes the complete player now and will prove hes the second best player around this year.

hahahahaha @ second best player comment!! :D

At World No 7, he's actually the most entitled of a wild card

no it doesn't, if it did then it wouldn't be a "wildcard", it would just be the top 8 ranked players

NB :- Anyone going to a premier league night remember to bring a rain coat because Lewis is sure to spit and slabber over the whole crowd if he opens his gob

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Couldn't really see anyone else getting the spot except Lewis, he is 7th in the world, young player of the year and his form at the world championships could mean that possible he has matured as a player and ready to step up to the really big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

no it doesn't, if it did then it wouldn't be a "wildcard", it would just be the top 8 ranked players

NB :- Anyone going to a premier league night remember to bring a rain coat because Lewis is sure to spit and slabber over the whole crowd if he opens his gob

well who should of got it ahead of him then??

Degag wrote: »
    I don't think that he's even close to being no 2 in the World at the moment. Lewis has no consistancy or discipline yet. He's certainly getting there but he has a way to go yet.

I have no real problem with Lewis getting the wild card but there are alot of silly comments being made about him recently. He averaged 106, 104 etc in the WCs recently. Big deal. It is a number that only gives a certain amount of information but is not the be all and end all of judging a players performance or ability.

If a player hits straight tons against Taylor (or alot of other players for that matter) he will have a ton average (obviously) and very little if any shots at doubles, yet he will be lauded by Sid Waddell as having a ton average and still lost.

However if you can try to concentrate and win all your own legs, you may be in a far better position than the one above against Taylor with perhaps an average in the mid-late 90s. It's that basic concept which enabled John Part to beat Taylor in 4 out of 5 televised TV tournies in a row about 5 or 6 years ago.

As i said, i don't have a problem with Lewis getting the Wildcard but (not thread specific) some people seem to think he should get it because he averaged 106 in the World Championships. He doesn't, he deserves it because he combined some very good performances this year with being a quarter finalist in the Worlds and being World no. 7.

Well i think he is, Barney, Wade and Jenkins are all below their best at the moment. Since Lewis became a father i think he is a changed man and will prove his head is right for darts in the coming year imo.

His averages were a fair reflection of his performances though so that point doesnt apply there. I really think he will prove himself as the heir to the Powers throne this season and ill be putting my money on the line accordingly.

Am i not allowed to disagree with your opinions.

If you dont think hes close to being the second best player around then i dont know what you are watching.

Your last comment shows you have the Lewis hate blinkers on and is pretty juvenile imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

If you dont think hes close to being the second best player around then i dont know what you are watching.

How many major finals has Lewis got to this year?

Not even close to being the second best player around. He only won four legs against Taylor in the WC and has done nothing in ANY of the majors this year.

Kingp35 wrote: »

Not even close to being the second best player around. He only won four legs against Taylor in the WC and has done nothing in ANY of the majors this year.

Eh theres only been one and had he been in the other side of the draw to Taylor he would have been in it.

Taylor played out of his skin vs Lewis, most players wouldnt have got 1 leg.

You will see this year, you will all see!!!! :)

Jackpot will crush everyone this year bar Taylor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

dissapointed he got it but not surprised
    lewis is 1 of the most hyped up players for years and shows glimers of class then dissapears again for another few months,he has at the end of the day won fcuk all, wade isnt in the best form ever but he has atleast won things same goes for some others

im not a lewis hater just gona wait till in consistantly performs for 6-12 months and wins something before i could agree with outragous statements that hes 2nd best in the world because he had a half decent world championships

Jay.cymru wrote: »
    well who should of got it ahead of him then??

Personally I wanted Priestly to get it, but thats because I can't see him being around full time in the darts for too much longer and think it would have been a fitting farewell to someone who's been in the PDC from the start.
    Since Lewis became a father i think he is a changed man and will prove his head is right for darts in the coming year imo.

Sorry for a second there I thought that was Sid Waddel posting!! You talk about other people having 'blinkers' on and you listen(and quote word for word)his hyped up drivvel!

Am i not allowed to disagree with your opinions.

When did I even come close to saying anything like that? I said what my opinion was and was told by you "YOU ARE WRONG"....how can opinions be wrong? :rolleyes:
    Kingp35 wrote: »

Nail on the head!

Sorry for a second there I thought that was Sid Waddel posting!! You talk about other people having 'blinkers' on and you listen(and quote word for word)his hyped up drivvel!

When did I even come close to saying anything like that? I said what my opinion was and was told by you "YOU ARE WRONG"....how can opinions be wrong? :rolleyes:

Nail on the head!

Wow your posts are awful.
    You dont think becoming a father can settle down a person and he might have his head on straight from now on?

Well you are wrong about him doing nothing in the premier league this year, ill gladly take a match bet and you can pick any player bar Taylor to take on Jackpot. Highest finisher wins.

You dont think becoming a father can settle down a person and he might have his head on straight from now on?

Of course it can happen but they don't go hand in hand all the time. I don't think that becoming a father has made him a better player though.
    Well you are wrong about him doing nothing in the premier league this year, ill gladly take a match bet and you can pick any player bar Taylor to take on Jackpot. Highest finisher wins.

I think that Wade, Barney, Whitlock and possibly King and Jenkins would beat him more times than he would beat them over a period of matches. Definately the first three. They are simply, better players. I would have no problem betting on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

A lot of people are under-rating King in this format. With a week between matches it really suits him down to the ground, as in major tournaments he just doesnt seem to last the week.

• Advertisement

Healio wrote: »
    A lot of people are under-rating King in this format. With a week between matches it really suits him down to the ground, as in major tournaments he just doesnt seem to last the week.

Agreed, he played really well in it last year.

Wow your posts are awful.

well its obvious you wouldn't like people thinking for themselves, sorry we can't all repeat what sid says! :rolleyes:

I can see how constructive your side of this conversation has become so I'm going to refrain from replying to any more of your drivvel.
    Degag wrote: »
    I think that Wade, Barney, Whitlock and possibly King and Jenkins would beat him more times than he would beat them over a period of matches. Definately the first three. They are simply, better players. I would have no problem betting on that.

Lot of good players there, lot of players very hard to beat on their own throw.
    Healio wrote: »

King's a really solid player, proved that with his preformances last year and capped it by beating Taylor in semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

To make the PL as exciting a spectacle as possible it probably has to be Lewis and Whitlock.
    Whitlock has whipped a lotta top guys recently and Lewis is certainly exciting.
    There are a lot of boring players in the top 16 or so and even King and T Jenkins can have a sedative effect at times.
    Barry Hearne has probably tried to balance this out by adding Lewis.
    I had thought earlier on in the year tha Anderson was a cast iron certainty for the PL but in fairness he has failed to deliver so it became harder and harder to make a case for him. A pitythough he as he is still very watchable.
    Personally I would like to see it being a 12 player event with the top 8 playing 4 wild cards. This would allow Lewis, Whitlock and Anderson a spot along with maybe Painter or Manley for a bit more fire in the belly and drama.

well its obvious you wouldn't like people thinking for themselves, sorry we can't all repeat what sid says! :rolleyes:

I can see how constructive your side of this conversation has become so I'm going to refrain from replying to any more of your drivvel.

Yeah i didnt think that up on my own.

You havent a clue what you are talking about. You are embarrasing yourself.

Jaysus lads, relax the cacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

It was obvious the PDC were not going to turn down Lewis for a spot, he played well in the WC until Taylor beat him. I personally think Webster deserved the place more because he beat good players in the WC including Barney.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭wayne76

lads your own opinions aside lewis is no. 7 in the world which is testament to consistent performing and was 8 last year and didn't get it so i cant see how he didn't deserve it it should prob be the top 8 and no wild cards as there always seem's to be contraversy over the wild cards regardless what we think it's a players wages at the end of the day and any of us who work wouldn't like to be overlooked for a pay rise or promotion so someone less deserving gets it:rolleyes:

Advertisement