Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scott Waites hints at PDC switch

Options
  • 10-01-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭

For me, I've thought this has been obvious for a couple of months(since grand slam) and I have mentioned my thoughts about this before. I commented that after his match with hankey, in the interview, when hankey was slabbering about the crowds (YEEEWWWWW go on the crowd!) that Waites didn't back him up at all, almost like he was afraid to say anything and I thought this was possibly due to a future PDC switch. I found the interview on youtube(below) and also seen the following article on BBCs website(posted yesterday).

I think Waites showed that he is quite a good player(in GSOD), but I think he needs a higher level of competition on a consistant basis to really show how good he is(or isn't). I don't think he would win to many titles in 1st year or 2, but could certainly throw in a few upsets along the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XROoAvqIaY

Scott Waites has said he will consider a switch to the PDC after being beaten by Martin Phillips in the quarter-finals of the BDO World Championships. Waites, from Halifax, combines his darts with his job as a joiner but faces possible redundancy.
    "I could keep playing darts in the BDO, which I love, or a sponsor could come along and push me to the PDC," Waites told BBC Sport.
    "If I keep my job and can still manage to pay my bills then I'll be happy."
    The number two seed almost pulled off a remarkable comeback after battling back from 4-0 down to level at 4-4, only for the Wales captain to snatch the deciding set.
    "I'm a little bit disappointed, but I was beaten by the better man so that means I'm not good enough to win," added Waites.
    o.gif

"My concentration levels dropped in the final set, I was drained of all my energy. To get it back to 4-4 I gave it everything I've got. But I didn't have anything left to get the last set.
    "Martin deserves all the plaudits he gets. He stuffed me in the first four sets so I've got no complaints."
    The loss to Phillips is Waites' third consecutive quarter-final defeat at the Lakeside and the 32-year-old admitted he would be keen to find out how much he could improve if he was able to devote more time to darts.
    "I don't know how far I could go, but it would be nice to find out," said Waites. "I think I can get a lot better.
    "When you go back home and work full-time it takes a little bit to get into the practice.
    "When you're here at the Lakeside there's not much to do other than practice, you know how much your game comes along."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/darts/8450075.stm

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I hope he does make the switch, the lad obviously has talent so playing darts week in week out should improve his game a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Niall_76

His head had to be turned by the payout he received at the grand slam. Think they said at the time he'd made as much that week as the rest of his career to date. Cant blame the man for wanting to give it a go full time and to do that it looks like a switch to the PDC is the only way to do that.

Advertisement