Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Accounting & Finance course in DCU?

• 10-01-2010 2:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Helloo.

I'm just about to fill in my CAO form with DCU accounting & finance course strong in my mind.
    So I was wondering few things relating to DCU.

1. The course is only 3 years long.Would that affect the degree I could get from the course in any way? and What are the advantages and disadvantages of it?

2. Does DCU provide lots of work experiment time even though it's 3 years long like during other times? and could I be offered a job if I do well in my study?

3. Will I be able to do the masters degree after I finish this course?

4. Is life at DCU any good?and the subject and study :D?

I was just question those things.
    It would be lots of help if you guys could comment :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

I recently graduated from that course, so

1. No, the degree you get is a full Honors degree (assuming you get the required marks), similar to many 4 year degrees. There are no real advantages or disadvantages of a 3 year degree, that's just how long it takes.

2. There is no automatic work placement in the DCU course, however you could apply to some of the larger accounting firms for an internship in the summer between your 2nd and 3rd year. They regularly offer full time positions on the basis of the internship. You won't automatically be offered a job on the basis of doing well in your study, but the degree is very well regarded and it would be an enormous aid in applying for jobs.

3. Yes, provided you get the necessary results. I am currently doing a masters at present.

4. College life is what you make it. Some people hate particular colleges others love them. I had a great time in DCU, there is a very active clubs and societies scene on the campus and if you want to have fun there you will be able to find it.

Any other questions fire away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ANDYBOND777

Thank you :)
    Helped me a lot.
    Just one thing that's still buggin me...
    Is internship fairly easy to get during summer if I look for it during the summer?

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭KenHy

normally people in 2nd year would be applying about now, most people from my year who wanted an internship seem to have got one somewhere, most had to apply to a few different firms though. That was summer 08 so not sure if things have changed in light of the economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ANDYBOND777

cheers again :)
    It was great help.
    Very much appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 numbernerd

Its a great course..:)! Subject areas are broad enough so you dont necessarily have to specalise in Accounting in your final year..if you do though, and get good grades you will get full CAP1 exemption and a futher CAP2 exemption when/if you do the masters(subject to module choices etc!) Anyhu thats if your thinkin of going on to become a Chartered Accountant or whatever but I guess its pretty soon for you to be thinking about that!

With regard to the work experience..Courses like Business offer one year Intra, which would be the experience and therefore is a 4 year course. This isn't an option with AF, but however in second year you have the opportunity to take part in a mentorship programme where you do a number of various things with an assigned mentor..one of which is a work shadow.. This would help with your internship application..

Aside from that, Yea DCU is a mighty spot :):)!!! Maybe post something on that thread to get more info about the college itself...

Good Luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Gumstick

How does this course compare to ucd commerce

Advertisement