Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian: Meat Withdrawal

Options
  • 09-01-2010 1:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hello my fellow veggies,

I have made it my new years resolution to become vegetarian. I have been meat free nearly 9 days now and was just wondering are there withdrawal symptons to be expected? I have been feeling lighted headed the past 3 days and unusualy weak even though I consume plenty of calories. Is this to be expected?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Moved from Food & Drink.

The weakness sounds strange.
    They say if you quit cold turkey that you get withdrawal symptons, from the additives.
    I dont know how true that is of Irish meat though.

Are you drinking enough?
    What exactly are you eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Yeah, I've never heard of such symptoms. If anything you should be feeling a little better than usual, as your digestive system should be running a lot smoother.

Is it a case that you miss the meat? In that case some Quorn or other such might aid the transition?
    Are you getting some other source of protein in your meal? Maybe let us know what your past few meals were if you aren't sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭trench foot

hey guys,

i feel much better today even better than normal!

im sure it was withdrawal.

i know this sounds strange but i feel alot cleaner today, my mind is clearer, im more relaxed and my skin feels smoother.

Could this be all due to been vegetarian?

Well, I suppose so, because it takes meat many many more hours to go through the body then other foods, so that is one of the main reasons you'd feel better as a veggie. I'm sure there are more explanations out there :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hello my fellow veggies,

I have made it my new years resolution to become vegetarian. I have been meat free nearly 9 days now and was just wondering are there withdrawal symptons to be expected? I have been feeling lighted headed the past 3 days and unusualy weak even though I consume plenty of calories. Is this to be expected?

Hi dude, make sure you are getting everything you need to be eating. It's a bit early to be telling anything from your diet, I'd say it might even mostly be a mind thing...we all feel better and worse on some days!

Do you like the meat alternatives you can get? Try things I like like nuts and seeds and such, nom nom. When I quit cold like you did I didn't eat a lot for a while, takes a bit of getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

What are you eating?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

To be honest no it's not to be expected. You might have to adjust your diet, as some new vegetarians leave their diet the same as when they were meateaters,
    just without the meat. As has been mentioned quorn is a great meat subsitute and should keep you busy until you get used to being a vege and pick up a recipe or two.

If it continues you should probably see a doctor about it because even though it would be a bit of a coincidence it's possible it could be something unrelated to going vege.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

When I stopped eating meat it was for health reasons. I tried to quit all junk/ processed foods as well. ( I lasted about a week) If you did this (as alot of people do this time of year) it explains the symptons.I never remember feeling weak. But I eat like a horse! Things i do remember:

Loud rumbling from my stomach for a while afterwards. ( I assumed it was a good sign.)
    Food getting through my system alot quicker. ( again, not a surprise and no bad thing)
    I had to eat more ( in a little and often way)
    I lost some weight ( flat stomach- jesus to be 15 again!)
    No spots.

It could be all in your head.Good luck with it though. If you slip up (you might!) just ignore it and continue eating veggie. Don't let anyone mock your decision. Loads of people are vegetarian. It's a smart lifestyle choice that makes sense on so many levels. No one likes a preacher but don't be afraid to come back at ignorant comments. Having said that don't feel the need to justify yourself to meat eaters. And be nice when eating at someone's house! Sometimes it's good to bring something that you can add to the rest of the meal.
    I would recomend that you go buy a nice cookbook or check the sticky of info for good websites. Get cooking and experimenting! It's time to embrace the chickpea!

You're on your way to a reduced risk of heart disease/ cancer. It's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

To be honest no it's not to be expected. You might have to adjust your diet, as some new vegetarians leave their diet the same as when they were meateaters,
    just without the meat. As has been mentioned quorn is a great meat subsitute and should keep you busy until you get used to being a vege and pick up a recipe or two.

If it continues you should probably see a doctor about it because even though it would be a bit of a coincidence it's possible it could be something unrelated to going vege.

Yea, this is basically what ive been doing and I still am doing it (didnt chane my eating I just took the meat awy from what I would normally eat). I havent eaten meat in I think around eight or nine weeks..it's been really tough I hit a massive wall over christmas but I didnt give (even though I really wanted to) but im feeling good with it now and I dont want to eat meat..

But, lately im feeling very tired im missing out on vitamin B I think the symptoms seem to point to that.. the tiredness and I have this weird spot on my tongue..how can I get some of this in my system..also I actually dont eat a lot of veggies..

These are what im calling 'withdrawal symptoms'..good luck with it OP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭ContyHooks

Bajingo wrote: »
    Yea, this is basically what ive been doing and I still am doing it (didnt chane my eating I just took the meat awy from what I would normally eat). I havent eaten meat in I think around eight or nine weeks..it's been really tough I hit a massive wall over christmas but I didnt give (even though I really wanted to) but im feeling good with it now and I dont want to eat meat..

But, lately im feeling very tired im missing out on vitamin B I think the symptoms seem to point to that.. the tiredness and I have this weird spot on my tongue..how can I get some of this in my system..also I actually dont eat a lot of veggies..

These are what im calling 'withdrawal symptoms'..good luck with it OP.

There are many B vitamins, (folic acid, niacin, riboflavin, etc)

Potatoes are a great source of B1, B2, B6, B3 , I'm vegetarian almost 2 years and consume potatoes most days whether its baked, boiled, mashed, cut into chips and fried, etc. There's endless of ways to serve them!

Beans, lentils, etc are other good sources and most breakfast cereals are fortified with them, but if you can't consume enough then I'd recommend a B vitamin supplement which is available in any boots, tesco, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

ContyHooks wrote: »
    There are many B vitamins, (folic acid, niacin, riboflavin, etc)

Potatoes are a great source of B1, B2, B6, B3 , I'm vegetarian almost 2 years and consume potatoes most days whether its baked, boiled, mashed, cut into chips and fried, etc. There's endless of ways to serve them!

Beans, lentils, etc are other good sources and most breakfast cereals are fortified with them, but if you can't consume enough then I'd recommend a B vitamin supplement which is available in any boots, tesco, etc.

Im thinking its vitamin B12 im deficient in because thats involved in energy metabolism and im feeling tired and it is apparently why my tongue may have got this weird patch on it..thanks for the advice ..I was thinking of the supplement option but want to see if can do without having to take tablets..

B12 should only really be an issue if you are going vegan. I think they fortify dairy products with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

Bajingo wrote: »
    Im thinking its vitamin B12 im deficient in because thats involved in energy metabolism and im feeling tired and it is apparently why my tongue may have got this weird patch on it..thanks for the advice ..I was thinking of the supplement option but want to see if can do without having to take tablets..

Is tiredness a sign of an iron deficiency? I had red spots ( not cold sores)on the sides of my mouth ages ago. A pharmacist told me to take B vitamins and they went. Mind you, when I realised I might be deficient I prob ate better.
    I have a multivit with iron. I don't take it everday. Usually when I see the bottle. I haven't had them since.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Is tiredness a sign of an iron deficiency?

Yep things like being tired, weak, pale etc I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

congrats trench foot on going Vegetarian, and also commiserations on being banned. I hope it wasn't you're fault, we all know power mad mods roam wild on boards :p.

To the symptoms that you seem to be having it may be a psychological thing, or maybe you diet with out meat isn't balanced. a good and idiot proof solution is to gorge yourself on veggie food and eventually you'll get all the vitamins you need. As a vegetarian you never have to worry about putting on weight it simply doesn't happen. As long as you stay as active it all just sorts itself out.

Also as a new vegetarian you will get so many stupid questions from people who don't really understand. Here are a few quick fire answers to shut them up

1) Yes I get enough protein, required protein intake is around 100g for a standard man, a vegetarian diet give 120, omnivore give about 155. anything over 135 will be a factor in cancer.

2) I will not wither away and be puny, many vegetarians are body builders, pro wrestlers, have higher average IQ's and live longer.

3) I will not marry a carrot! (I hope)

4) I can eat all dairy and fish(debatably)

5) Vegetarians have sweeter tasting semen. (fact. although I don't know how they proved it)

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Aisling&M

smegmar wrote: »
    congrats trench foot on going Vegetarian, and also commiserations on being banned. I hope it wasn't you're fault, we all know power mad mods roam wild on boards :p.

To the symptoms that you seem to be having it may be a psychological thing, or maybe you diet with out meat isn't balanced. a good and idiot proof solution is to gorge yourself on veggie food and eventually you'll get all the vitamins you need. As a vegetarian you never have to worry about putting on weight it simply doesn't happen. As long as you stay as active it all just sorts itself out.

Also as a new vegetarian you will get so many stupid questions from people who don't really understand. Here are a few quick fire answers to shut them up

1) Yes I get enough protein, required protein intake is around 100g for a standard man, a vegetarian diet give 120, omnivore give about 155. anything over 135 will be a factor in cancer.

2) I will not wither away and be puny, many vegetarians are body builders, pro wrestlers, have higher average IQ's and live longer.

3) I will not marry a carrot! (I hope)

5) Vegetarians have sweeter tasting semen. (fact. although I don't know how they proved it)

I strongly disagree. It's very possible and easy to put on weight as a vegetarian. It's harder as a vegan but again, still possible. Eating more calories than are normally burned off will result in weight gain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

No ones going to show ANY signs of vitamin or mineral deficiency after a few weeks unless they are anorexic or on total parenteral nutrition.
    OP post a few days diary otherwise we can't tell whether you're diet got anything to do with it.
    Also I'd like to make sure you know that a calcium and vitamin D supplement is vital if you are female in paarticular and a B complex would be a very good idea too if you don't eat a lot of dairy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

Vegetarians do NOT eat fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭one-angry-dwarf

Depending on who you ask/which study you read, recommended protein intake is usually between 30-60g. It varies a lot according to your weight, gender and lifestyle but 100g is a hell of a lot of protein to take in. Where did you get that info about cancer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement