Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wild birds need our help!

Options
  • 09-01-2010 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

I know this is probably preaching to the converted but I thought I'd put it out there anyway just in case. Everyone needs to leave fresh water and food out for the wild birds until the ground thaws out a bit. Any old bread with some oil thrown on it (in smaller bits so some of the small birds have a chance to get at it), seeds, old muesli or granola, breakfast cereals, oats, raisins, dried fruit almost anything will do.
    Our cat has killed 2 blackbirds today (her first 2 birds she ever caught and she's getting a whooping big bell from the pet shop tomorrow), my paretns sheep dog took down a redwing today and their cat has also caught 3 birds in the last 2 days (despite having a bit brass bell my mum brought back from morocca hanging off her neck!) and there are dead birds scattered along the roadsides from being hit by cars. They're obviously not coping with the cold snap at this stage and it's making the have to resort to dangerous methods to feed (like feeding from the soil along the roadside) so we all need to look out for them, they go unoticed so easily.
    Sorry mods I know this isn't really related to the forum but seeing as most of are animal lovers here I think it's worth posting. I also put it up in the pet issues and animal welfare forums.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

good to see this reminder khrystyna. we put out fresh water and bits of bread today. hadn't heard about a bit of oil on the bread before - interesting. my cat is far too busy sleeping and hiding indoors and is leaving them alone, thank god. i promise i'll re-supply them tomorrow :)

i hope that anyone else who can help the birds, will.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Tis grand here, as it's very nice :)

My family have always been good with this, I like to feed birds!

I've put out the bread in oil....and they are snaffling it up. Poor beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I've put out the bread in oil....and they are snaffling it up. Poor beggars.

Snaffling Te he! :D Don't forget the uisce a lot of em are dying from dehydration too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Soaked my bread in whiskey. Off their faces

• Advertisement

Less of that eyelash business out of you Tar, thanks very much...

hmm???

<_<

>_>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Much as I hate and fear birds I do feel really sorry for them atm. Unfortunately round where I live has a bit of a rodent problem (bloody manky students eh?) and I don't want to encourage rats into our backyard by leaving food out-plus our **** of a neighbour would probably grass me up to our **** of a landlady-otherwise I would :(

Those little feed dispensers and nets of seed balls etc wouldn't attract rats if they could be a few feet off the ground. They're usually in lidl, pet shops or pound shops cheap.

Ye we hang ours up..disappears practically in seconds!

• Advertisement
Advertisement