Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Masters Swimming Training sessions Dublin

Options
  • 05-01-2010 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

I've recently moved to Dublin & was wondering if anyone knows if there are any pool training sessions (club or otherwise) near the city centre?

I'm a reasonable swimmer who usually swims 2k 2 or 3 times per week for fitness.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 tripper167

Hi I'm personally looking for beginner lessons but I was recommended to talk to this guy in Belvedere college and there seems to be masters swim sessions here too, so might be of interest to you too.
    http://www.swimmersguide.com/query/Detail.cfm?PoolID=10559

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭PBPumpkin

Thanks for the link - looks like a central location!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 cleggan head

Templogue have 2 masters sessions a week. 8.30 - 9.15 pm Mon and Wed.

Where is the pool in Templeogue?

Templeogue College Swimming Pool [View Map]
    Templeville Road
    Postcode: Dublin 6
    Area: Templeogue
    Phone: 01 4901711
    Email: info@tcsp.ie

• Advertisement

Thanks Cleggan Head - what is the standard like there?

It's a wide range of abilities. I was concerned when I first started I'd be too slow so I went and checked it out before hand. There are 5 lanes slowest lane would have some people who may only recently have learnt to swim and are looking to improve. The fastest lane would contain ex club swimmers, doing 100 metre sets on 1.30secs. Typical session would total 1.5 to 2 k, made up of various repeat sets, 100's usually. If you can swim 2k you will be fine, matter of finding which lane suitable for you. One thing that still amazes me is how much further and faster I swim when with a group of other swimmers doing repeat sets as opposed to on my own. €6 on the door. I enjoy it, I like the fact that it caters for a wide range of abilities, people friendly, no egos, just others who enjoy swimming and want to stay fit.

I'm the same - I find it very hard to stay motivated when training on my own - it's much better to swim in a group.

I've heard that there's alot of sea swim in Leinster in the Summertime so I'd like to get fit for those.

I've done a few in Galway & Cork before and they're great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah, loads of sea swims coming up this summer...Checkout this website

http://www.swimleinster.com/opensea.htm

For updates when nearing the open sea swim season. You will have to registered with a club before they will allow you to swim..

Ok - is it just a case of contacting a club & paying membership or do you need to be training with them also?
    Any clubs training in the city centre?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

For Templogue masters no need to join a club 6 euro on the door, Mon and Wed 8.30pm

You need to be a member of a club for the sea swims though?

Not sure aboout that as I don't participate in sea swims. Pretty sure someone else out there will have the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metal dog

PBPumpkin wrote: »
    You need to be a member of a club for the sea swims though?

Afraid so - basically you need to be registered through your club with Swim Ireland for insurance and all of that if you want to take part in the main Dublin open sea season. For some of the other open water swims around the country this may not always be the case ( for the Lee swim I think the organisers arrange separate insurance but you would need tp check and some of the Triathlon related swims you can buy a one day license from Triathlon Ireland. There are usuallya few aquathons (swim followed by run) each summer in the Dublin area under Triathlon Ireland rules. Unfortunately the Triathlon ireland membership and insurance does not cover you for the Swim Ireland events but that is whole other story I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LenaLena

Hiya!
    Don't know which part of Dublin you're located in, so not sure if this will be of use, but anyway!

I swim with NAC Masters. We train on Tuesdays in the Westwood in Clontarf and on Thursdays and Sundays in Blanchardstown in the NAC. Distance is about 2.5Km per session for the top lane. It's a good swim!
    It's a mixed group - men and women and a good age range.

You can find out more & contact one of the committee about trying a session on www.nacmasters.com

Alternatively the pool in Belevedere is a good bet - they do good sessions in there too.

Lena

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 40 ft regular

All sea swims in Leinster are on a calendar it will be available on the Swim Ireland website, hopefully early May. Individual clubs run these swims but must comply with Swim Ireland rules. All swimmers must be members of a registered club. All the swims are handicapped. All ages are welcome. Under 16 must have signed parental approval. There are up to thirty swims during the summer seasons. They range from 1,500m to 5km. Great way to spend summer weekends, regardless of weather conditions.

There are a number of good masters sessions around Dublin. Some cater for early morning swims, some evening and others train at the weekend. Some focus on galas, some on fitness and a lot on training for the sea swims. Ring a few local pools you should be a few numbers they ring round the clubs and find out their hours.

All clubs are looking for new members.

There are a number of good masters sessions around Dublin. Some cater for early morning swims, some evening and others train at the weekend. Some focus on galas, some on fitness and a lot on training for the sea swims. Ring a few local pools you should be a few numbers then ring round the clubs and find out their hours.

All clubs are looking for new members.

Thanks for the tips.
    I found a group session in Markevicz pool in the city centre - they do 2.5k sessions most evenings.

Roll on the summer & the sea swimming season!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

PBPumkin is it a club that trains in Markevicz? I would love to do the open water swims this summer but there are no clubs near to where I live, Glenalbyn is probably the closest but a bit of a trek.

• Advertisement

groovyg wrote: »
    PBPumkin is it a club that trains in Markevicz? I would love to do the open water swims this summer but there are no clubs near to where I live, Glenalbyn is probably the closest but a bit of a trek.

If its the lads I'm thinking of, they are from a mix of clubs. They just meet up there in the evenings. They always welcome new swimmers. Wednesdays/Fridays are a Bert O brien special sessions. Fridays at 6pm are a 3k session....

Yes, the swimmers are from different clubs - they train together in Markevicz because most either live or work in town so it's a good location.

All are welcome to join in - although a couple of times I've gone to the Monday & Tuesday sessions and they are pretty tough, so be warned!
    :)

I tend to stick to the Wednesdays & Fridays ("Bert's sessions").

BTW, I found a link to the Leinster 2010 Sea Swim Calendar on the Glenalbyn site:

http://www.dublin.ie/websites/glenalbyn/

It is a provisional list, but gives most of the details of the swims, contacts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stevie_b

PBPumpkin wrote: »
    Yes, the swimmers are from different clubs - they train together in Markevicz because most either live or work in town so it's a good location.

All are welcome to join in - although a couple of times I've gone to the Monday & Tuesday sessions and they are pretty tough, so be warned!
    :)

I tend to stick to the Wednesdays & Fridays ("Bert's sessions").

do you know what time they meet on the mon & tues sessions? i rang the centre but they didn't have a clue what i was on about.

stevie_b wrote: »
    do you know what time they meet on the mon & tues sessions? i rang the centre but they didn't have a clue what i was on about.

Its not run by the swimming pool, its just a few swimmers who meet up in the evening. I think they meet up at 6pm, your best bet is to head down tomorrow evening and be in pool by 5:55pm. Then do the session with them and ask them what times do they meet up...Bert will be there (Really nice chap)...But I'll see Bert on thursday and I'll ask him for you..

The sessions on Mondays & Tuesdays begin at 6pm.
    These sessions are usually 3-4k.

Wednesdays start at 6.15(2.5k) & Fridays at 6pm(3k).

All are welcome!

(Just don't get in the way of the faster swimmers! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wazupm8

Tallaght masters offer 4 sessions per week.

M-5:45am-7:15pm (3-4k)
    W-5:45am-7:15pm (3-4k)
    Sat-6:30pm-7:30pm (2-2.5k)
    Sun-8:00am-9:30am (3-4k)

Sessions take place in Tallaght Community School pool (to rear of Nat. Basketball Area), 5 mins from m50.

All swimmers welcome, €5 pay as you go. There are 5 lanes catering for all levels from beginers upto ex-swimmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭BillieBob

I'm resurrecting this thread just a bit, I just want to ask how fast are the sessions that are run in the Markiewicz on wed and Fri evenings?

I got into Masters swimming last year and am at the stage of doing 100m repeats on 2mins now. I'd like to keep on improving but obviously if the guys in Markiewicz are doing 100s on 1.30 it's beyond me (at the moment) and I'll try elsewhere!

There are quite a few pools that offer sessions for mixed abilities. Phoenix swimming club in Clondalkin is one training times Tuesday and Thursday mornings 6-7 am. Saturday morning 8.15-9.45 and Sunday 4.15-5.15. Many swimming clubs have their own websites. Phoenix swimming club. Swim Ireland will have a list of all masters clubs in the city and contact details.

• Advertisement

BillieBob wrote: »
    I'm resurrecting this thread just a bit, I just want to ask how fast are the sessions that are run in the Markiewicz on wed and Fri evenings?

I got into Masters swimming last year and am at the stage of doing 100m repeats on 2mins now. I'd like to keep on improving but obviously if the guys in Markiewicz are doing 100s on 1.30 it's beyond me (at the moment) and I'll try elsewhere!

Just rope in behind them, you will improve.....They are a great bunch, watchout for Bert when doing your easy's.....:D

Advertisement