Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions and advice

Options
  • 04-01-2010 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

test

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭damo180

Hi all , just curious on your views on this.

Playing darts for the last 20 yrs (age 40) , mainly just in leagues, never really entered many singles competitions, mainly financial and work reasons.
    Anyway, have developed a nice little alcohol dependency, nothing major, but quit some months ago and never felt better.
    Like many players, have always had the few beers before a game to settle the nerves.
    Have decided to start entering a few comps including players ch,ship.
    This may seem ridiculous at my age, but very nervous just thinking about playing in these comps, and doubting whether its worth it.
    But the thing is, I am practising a lot more and averages have shot up, sometimes to late 80s/ early 90s (IN MY ROOM).
    Even thinking of getting a sports psychology book or something.
    Or should I just go for it, and hope that eventually, the nervousness will lessen.
    Has anyone else been in this situation where they used to drink during a game but doesnt now, and have their darts eventually improved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭damo180

Also, looking at things a lot differently, I have to question the health of some of the pros, Lloyd/Pieman, even Lewis for his age look like heart attacks waiting to happen.
    Does Anyone know, do ALL the players have a few pints before their matches.
    Dont get me wrong I absolutely love darts, but when I hear of stories of great players here in Ireland not lasting to the end of a competition and fading away because they drank too much,its a bit sad.

(sorry to bring up this depressing subject again) :))

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭vindaloo1

Depends on your attitude damo.

I practice at home, no drink.

I play players championship, no drink (as driving to them and generally on my own).

Nerves, you'll get over them after about one leg of darts in a singles
    competition.

I find it funny watching lads skulling pints before the matches, then after
    a getting through a few matches, skulling pints of water to sober up a bit.

Advertisement