Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whinging Barney

Options
  • 04-01-2010 4:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

I am sure Barney is a nice guy, but is there anyone else getting fed up with his constant bad form. I dont think he can cope with NOT being the best. He is ALWAYS moaning about his form, and never seems that he is enjoying being on stage.
    He should just accept that he is NOT and never has been as good as Taylor and never will be. He is on the second tier along with Wade,King,Lewis etc.

Cheer up Barney and appreciate what you have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭gerrymadden1

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Doing my head in tbh, Diabetes while having to be looked after is not a major disease to have to contend with it, its incredibly common in adult males Barney's age and I'd wager alot more of the PDC players have it too.

But like everything else Barney has a new excuse, the simple facts is the world has raised its game around Barney and he hasn't the game to be there anymore.

His 101 on a good day average is simply not enough anymore as theres at least Taylor, Wade, Whitlock and Lewis who will better it more often than not and tons of players who on there night can match and possibly beat it.

its only marginally better than the A games of Jenkins, King, Part, Baxter, Painter and Priestly, plus now McDine, Van Gerwan, Osbourne, Van Der Voort and Webster etc... are starting to steady up and can average 95+ which means even Barney's A game is beatable if they can be withing a point or two of him.

The simple facts is Barneys 100 average would almost always beat a 90 average of Lloyd etc..., now if his doubles aren't flowing he can be beaten by about half the PDC field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

He has admitted himself that if he practiced he'd be right up there. When he plays well only the Power has any chance of beating him. He is a terrible loser and is using his diabetes as an excuse for Whitlock beating him in the semi and Webster beating him in the play off. He was 4-2 up, and had more than enough chances to go 5-2 up against Whitlock. Even if he had a broken arm he shouldn't have lost a lead like that! Against Webster he just looked like he didn't want to be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

marwelie wrote: »
    He has admitted himself that if he practiced he'd be right up there. When he plays well only the Power has any chance of beating him. He is a terrible loser and is using his diabetes as an excuse for Whitlock beating him in the semi and Webster beating him in the play off. He was 4-2 up, and had more than enough chances to go 5-2 up against Whitlock. Even if he had a broken arm he shouldn't have lost a lead like that! Against Webster he just looked like he didn't want to be there.

He admitted if he practiced? I seen him say he practices 10 hours a day not so long ago. He's excuse after excuse to me now. I still like the guy but he needs to grow a pair and throw his darts, theres no guarnateed wins for him anymore the standard is too high but he should be competitive and not giving up when he goes behind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I used to have massive respect for Barney but the past 2 years have really made me not like the man. He is constantly chopping and changing his darts, he has ZERO mental strength, it seems as if his drive to succeed is gone and he is beaten before he even gets on stage when playing Taylor. If you listen to his interviews the only thing he talks about is Taylor, He should worry about his own game first because for me he is not the clear number two anymore and is on the way down.

He has the ability to really challenge Taylor again but he needs to sort his head out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Fair play to Baxter, when asked before their game about Barney's diabetes he said "I have diabetes too, He'll just have to deal with it!" Took that as him saying he was bored listening about him.

Barmey Barney!

His mental state is in tatters! WTF was all that about "2010 is over now because I lost" :eek::confused:

I can see him quitting darts in the not too distant future. That could be what he needs, nevermind not weighing into few players championships or taking a break for few weeks....I think he needs to get away from the game completely. Maybe in a year's time or something he'll have the hunger to want to win, to get back and prove himself and more importantly....stop moaning!

Does anyone know if the top 6 are contracted to the premier league or can they opt out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Devastator wrote: »
    Fair play to Baxter, when asked before their game about Barney's diabetes he said "I have diabetes too, He'll just have to deal with it!" Took that as him saying he was bored listening about him.

Barmey Barney!

His mental state is in tatters! WTF was all that about "2010 is over now because I lost" :eek::confused:

I can see him quitting darts in the not too distant future. That could be what he needs, nevermind not weighing into few players championships or taking a break for few weeks....I think he needs to get away from the game completely. Maybe in a year's time or something he'll have the hunger to want to win, to get back and prove himself and more importantly....stop moaning!

Does anyone know if the top 6 are contracted to the premier league or can they opt out?

he is a serious moan bag

to be fair, i think Taylor has simply broken him, i really do, after last years PDC final when Taylor thrashed him, i thought he was going to retire there on the stage, and for the past 12 months, everytime he`s interviewed, whichever pundit is on, is trying to console him and boost his confidence, i never saw anybody trying to boost taylors confidence when he lost that epic final to Barney 2 years ago ,and then his subsequent 6 month crap form, no, Phil just knuckled down, like a good pro should

he`s a grown man, if he cant take the heat, get out of the kitchen, its rediculous carry on by him the past year imo, just practice, shut up, and play your darts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

I have been a big Barney fan myself also, but yes his excuses are getting tiring. On a different thread last year after Taylor trashed him and everyone else in the tournament I said they all need to up their game and I was happy to see most people have been, granted they are still not close to Taylor but it does seem the overall quality is improving. However Barney is the exception of the big boys. His mental strength is at an all time low. He has the ability to beat Taylor I have no doubt about that but all his excuses just make him mentally weaker. I could really see Barney benefiting from a sports psychologist or something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

No time for barney, in my mind Wade is the world #2 regardless of what the money says

did anyone see the look on barneys face having to play webster in the 3rd place playoff

he looked like he'd just been told he had cancer, had no interest in the game and just looked like he wanted to curl up into a ball. he's a waste of space these days and the fact is King and Lewis and Whitlock and Wade give taylor a far better game than he has any time in the last 2 years

he's wanna buck himself up big time of retire, ive no time for his moany i amnt the best so its over crap. when i lose i get back on the practice board, i might be annoyed at myself but i get back on the board and sort it. he has nobody to blame but himself

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

No time for barney, in my mind Wade is the world #2 regardless of what the money says

did anyone see the look on barneys face having to play webster in the 3rd place playoff

he looked like he'd just been told he had cancer, had no interest in the game and just looked like he wanted to curl up into a ball. he's a waste of space these days and the fact is King and Lewis and Whitlock and Wade give taylor a far better game than he has any time in the last 2 years

he's wanna buck himself up big time of retire, ive no time for his moany i amnt the best so its over crap. when i lose i get back on the practice board, i might be annoyed at myself but i get back on the board and sort it. he has nobody to blame but himself
    Agreed .... Its always been about the mony and the fame I believe for Barney.... as it is to some degree with Taylor. He played Taylor at an exhibition match near me but wouldn't come down to the pub over the road to meet people or sign autographs. Taylor did of course. Taylor didn't bring any darts with him though so couldn't show his stuff but was only too happy to pose for a photo with anybody ...... anybody that is who had Eur 30.
    The difference between them though is Taylor makes every effort though to maintain and even improve his form. When his own high standards dipped a couple of years ago he knuckled down, changed a few things and worked hard to not just get back to where he was but to improve even further. Call it greed or hunger he has it in abundance. Barney looks so lazy and disinterested in the rest of the year ahead that if I had sponsored him for 2010 I'd tear my badge and shirt and all off his back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DrDarts

I think his ranking will get him into the qrts or semis of most big tournaments without too many hard battles and give him earnings of over £100,000 a year without any real hard work. Put this with his sponsorships and exhibition money and I guess he could make over quarter million €€'s. Easy then to see why he isn't as motivated or hungry as some of the other guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I agree with what a lot of people here have said. From what Ive seen lately, Barney has Taylor on the brain. He keeps bringing him into all the post match interviews. He has changed his style of throwing so that he can have his darts hang down out of the board like Taylor's and he even had his flights cut similarly to Taylor's at the world champs.

I always thought he threw better when his darts stood nose down into the board like they used to and even watching him playing during the world champs, he did seem to get them to sit like that in the board when he was throwing some of his better stuff over the rounds so it must be a more natural throw for him. He is doing way too much chopping and changing and not staying with anything long enough to get used to it.

Despite this, he still hit the 9 darter (in whichever round it was :o) and that showed class but he does not look like he's interested at all in the game lately on stage and I've come to expect to see him disillusioned up there most of the time TBH.

He definitely had no interest in playing for third place against Webster either on the night of the final.

Im sure he is a nice guy and all and people seem to love him wherever he goes but he seems to have given up the ghost a lot lately. Hopefully he gets his head back in the game soon as he has one of the best abilities out there and could probably beat Taylor if he realises this instead of packing it in the second it looks like he's going to lose to him like in the Las Vegas desert classic last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Never liked Barney...He always has an excuse when he gets beat.
    Simple fact is Taylor is miles ahead of him and he wants it more.

Advertisement