Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Drink

Options
  • 02-01-2010 10:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

What alcohol is vegan? I know Guinness is unsuitable.
    I'm mainly a wine/ spirits drinker.

Soft drinks - I don't drink much of them- but am I correct in assuming that most of them are vegan?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

From our sticky - I recommend http://www.barnivore.com/
    Mind you, they are wrong about the Bulmers. I'm almost sure I emailed them to get them to update that... Only the pear Bulners is vegan, none of the others in the Bulmers range.

As per soft drinks - steer clear of Fanta and Lilt.
    Wines are well labelled by Tesco/M+S, hopefully the above link and this one can help. I'm vegan myself but am not a wine drinker and stick with Smirnoff cause I know that's vegan and I just avoid tasting other drinks. Of course a dash of Kia Ora has to be avoided! Same as Fanta and Lilt...

And as Tar said, welcome to the Forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Hi, Bulmers seems to have changed their recipe for Bulmers Pear in the last few months. They were advertising that before Xmas but the "Suitable for Vegans and Vegetarians" seemed to have been quietly dropped from the labelling (at least, I couldn't see it). I won't have time to follow up on that but I thought I'd just mention that v. quickly. I did find Westons organic vegan cider in Tesco Dundrum and it's yum.

BTW, Happy New Year all!

Hi, Bulmers seems to have changed their recipe for Bulmers Pear in the last few months. They were advertising that before Xmas but the "Suitable for Vegans and Vegetarians" seemed to have been quietly dropped from the labelling (at least, I couldn't see it). I won't have time to follow up on that but I thought I'd just mention that v. quickly. I did find Westons organic vegan cider in Tesco Dundrum and it's yum.

BTW, Happy New Year all!
    Oh, I hate ingredients lists changes! I was gonna buy some Walkers Baked salt and vinegar today, but they seem to have a new ingredients list which contains lactose in a seasoning listing. Booo! :mad:
    Good to know about the Bulmers though. I don't drink it, but had been fairly impressed with their labelling... The website still says ok ( http://www.bulmers.ie/about-us/pear-faqs.asp ) but I guess they can change these things whenever they want, and as I think you mentioned before, it can depend on the batch and such... ugh!

Happy New year to you Thoushaltnot :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

Great- the barnivore website is v usefull. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

After hearing of professional chefs who do not know what veggie/vegan really means I put very little faith in food manufacturers. I found this page.

http://www.vegetarian.ie/spir.htm
    According to the Vegan Society (UK), the production of spirits "does not appear to involve the use of animal substances" and that "vodka is now universally filtered using birchwood charcoal).

This has me thinking either the vegan people or the distillers misunderstand what "filtering" means to each other. The vegan society might have asked what they use to filter the product, thinking it means the same as the fining of wine & beers. To any distiller filtering would mean post production filtering, at this stage the distillate is completely devoid of any substances like yeast or proteins and so needs no fining, the charcoal filtering is to adsorb (not absorb) the off flavours and other alcohols/congeners. But before distillation distillers will clear the fermented "wash" and I imagine this is often done with animal products. Even the "does not appear" statement seems very wishy-washy, I would bet my life that some spirits are fined with gelatine before distillation. However after distillation none would remain.

I have heard of activated charcoal made from bones being used in distillation too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 VeGeek

Vegan or not soft and alcoholic drinks you find on store shelves can contain ingredients like aspartame, phosphoric acid, CO2 etc. - these are not foods. It's better to squeeze an orange than have a Fanta - you can't argue about that.

True, there are many shifty ingredients in most packaged food, but this thread is asking about which alcoholic/soft drinks are vegan. Discussion of food additives is for another forum, perhaps Nutrition and Diet.

Anyone else been in contact with any companies asking if their drinks were suitable for vegans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vegan Wannabe

"Can i get a vodka and freshly squeezed orange juice?"

lol, vodka on the rocks is pretty pure :cool: but too far!
    i suppose there is no harm asking for a freshly squeezed oj, especially if you want a confused look in return :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

"Can i get a vodka and freshly squeezed orange juice?"

yes , omfg you can...mmm whiskery...mmmm fibers 2 euuroa adrink... yoou be in heaven:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Barnivore are updating their site again. It had been a while but recently I started getting updates from them again. Mid January's included;
    • The triple check works!
    • Barnivore Battle!
    • Barnivore goes mobile!
    • Barnivore goes iPhone!
    • Developers developers developers developers!
    • What's next
    and from last night's email, they've added filters and colour coding - on both the regular and the mobile websites.

They are looking for multilingual people to help with providing non-english suggested wordings for enquiry emails, so as to expand the number of companies we can email, to get info on. I'm sure french and portugese would be welcome, as well as german (lidl and aldi, as well as the german wineries/breweries) and spanish, etc.

Oh! I just checked out their mobile website and it's really well designed :) will be a great resource on the go. Thanks thoushaltnot :)

Advertisement