Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Darts Scandal??

Options
  • 31-12-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭

Hi..Im just wondering....Has there ever been any kind of betting scandal in darts? having watched all matches the last few days,I kinda get the feeling is open to all sorts of corruption..especially among the older player who might have no real chance of winning major honours..i guess im comparing it to the snooker recently where unusual suspicious betting patterns were noticed in asian markets..i think it was on frame winning margain's 9-3..it works the same in darts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Don't there has been, not that I'm aware of anyways. I have thought sometimes that there is very little way to prove a game of Darts is being thrown, as the margins are so small, and a few matches I've seen I have thought " that's some turnaround from being xx down and missing everything to all of a sudden running away with it.
    BUT, nothing ever proven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Anyone remember Anderson's game against Fitton in last year's(or year before) grand slam?

DODGY! I can't 100% remember which way around it was, but I think Fitton needed to win 3 legs to get into next round....guess what, a match played between 2 best mates and Fitton won the 1st 3 legs....then lost every other leg.

Been said before, hard to prove anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

In terms of when they are actually throwing darts, id imagine it is harder to miss on purpose than hit the numbers you are going for.

Not saying it couldnt happen but for one thing it would be hard to do, and even harder to prove.

Id be more wary of: an injury, a player losing his darts or a "he's been dying with the flu/mumps" kind of thing after the odds have significantly changed rather than a player fixing a match in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

the reason i brought this up was,while watching barney play last night...i noticed he made unusual gestures toward the camera,looking directly into the camera,like a prompt to place a bet...(as in stick the bet on now!!) he was 3-0 (sets) and ahead 1-0 in the set but the then he threw pathetically to lose the next 4 legs and subsequent set..i felt it was intentional. It was almost as though he had bet on himself to win 4-1 or 4-2..it's probably nothing but i just thought it weird at the time. I know the lads commentating were talking about fatigue and diabetes being the root cause but i dont know..he didn't look tired whe he played the previous round..and neither was it mentioned by the commentators.

anyway...i hope this wont cause offence. im not trying to cause offence here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

With the amount of liquidity on betfair a player would never have to set up a sting on a bookies before the match by match fixing.

All he would have to do is with a couple of people have it set up if he went 1 or 2 sets up up to lay him on betfair.

It might take a match or 2 in different tournies before they get into a position to get it right
    but it could be done very easily on betfair on possible is being done.

I dont think Barnie would ever need to or would do it tho
    infact you just know by barnie he is 1 of the good guys on this earth.

Plenty of other players who get to the 2nd or 3rd round regulary and know they dont have a hope in hell of winning could very easily tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

robbie1977 wrote: »
    I dont think Barnie would ever need to or would do it tho
    infact you just know by barnie he is 1 of the good guys on this earth.

In fairness, if you've read into a large amount of these betting scandals, I don't think it's as cut and dry as it being a case of 'good guys' vs 'bad guys'. The guys who get caught up in these are people with deep-rooted personal problems, who've blown a fortune on drink/drugs/gambling etc and get recruited by corrupt cells because they are told it's their 'only way out'.

So considering we'll never have that kind of personal access to players, unless they volunteer it, then you couldn't tell.

This is an interesting theory and one which I've never thought of before. I've often suspected people of throwing legs, games etc. It could be easily done because you'd have to keep the net small (as opposed to the likes of football where entire teams, managers and refs may have to get involved) with just 1-2 players and the criminals. Plus darts is a sport with massive ties to gambling...so I'd be more surprised if it HASN'T happened in some form yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

So Barney 'looks at the camera' which suddenly means he's involved in a betting scandel?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Have you taken a second just to think how you came to that conclusion from a simple moment in time when his eyes glanced at the camera?

100% coincidence, not everything is a massive conspiracy! EVEN (is the most ridiculous circumstances) that it was true, and the sign to start betting was to "look at the camera", are sly sports also involved? Their producer would surely need to make sure he shows the correct camera view to the viewers and get the timing right aswell! What would happen if in error Barney looked at the wrong time?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I don't think he claimed he thought it was true. His point was that it made him think, "Would this be possible?"

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Very unusual betting patterns in the Anderson Robson match at Lakeside a few years ago, both are best friends. Would be very easy to rig a match if 2 players decided. However, with the amount of betting companies involved in sponsorship would not be good for the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Devastator wrote: »
    So Barney 'looks at the camera' which suddenly means he's involved in a betting scandel?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Have you taken a second just to think how you came to that conclusion from a simple moment in time when his eyes glanced at the camera?

No..all im saying is barney was coasting to a 4-0 victory..painter was really poor on the night....at the start of the 4th barney 3-0 up ...barney looks deirectly down the lens before commencing the set..he then throws like a 10 year old with a few pints in'm to lose the set...it totally out of nowhere..looking down the lens probably was mere coincidence...but he done it twice...i thought it was unusual. i thought he deliberately lost the set. and the only reason for doing so could be related to gambling etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement