Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little things what annoy me about the PDC!

Options
  • 30-12-2009 5:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Them poxy dancers annoy me, don't get me wrong they are great eye candy but this dancing crap should stay in American Football or at crap football teams who are struggling and are desperate to pull in the crowds! I love the walk on girls, stick with them PDC and only them!:) Actually didn't see them dancers today!

And finally I'll go back to the grand prix, I hate those Irish Dancers, F#ck off we are not leprechauns!:mad:

Thoughts please...........

:)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Building up Phil Taylor like its the second coming of Jesus or something everytime he's coming on stage.

Dave Clark and his stating the obvious all the time. At least Andy Goldstein doesn't present it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

CHD wrote: »
    Building up Phil Taylor like its the second coming of Jesus or something everytime he's coming on stage.

Dave Clark and his stating the obvious all the time. At least Andy Goldstein doesn't present it.

I agree with everything you said!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭shockframe

showing averages after 6 darts if in the high hundreds

rod harrington

"that" commentator

cant argue with the whole phil taylor=god thing sky have going either

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Agree with all said.

The commentators that will not shut up about Taylor when he is playing and never talk about his opponent as if he isn't even there. It's very disrespectful. Thornton played well yesterday and had an over 60% checkout rate which was described as "decent". It's more than fcuking decent!

You can now add in "webster was averaging in the low 80s when he won the lakeside 2yearsagower he now needs 105 to 110 to compete in the pdc".shepherd was in the 90s when he reached the world final 2yearsagower.

no lakeside player would reached the quarter finals here.

brainwashing aint the word

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

shockframe wrote: »
    You can now add in "webster was averaging in the low 80s when he won the lakeside 2yearsagower he now needs 105 to 110 to compete in the pdc".shepherd was in the 90s when he reached the world final 2yearsagower.

no lakeside player would reached the quarter finals here.

brainwashing aint the word

I don't think it is mocking the BDO but the standard in the BDO is just pure sh*t compared to the PDC and Tony O Shea who is ranked number one there has never won a world title and is ranked #1, sort of shows the different in standards if guys like Mark Webster and Jelle Klassen who have won World title's in the BDO are not even seeded or seeded near the bottom in the PDC

This competition is geared towards Taylor and it is practically saying we want Taylor to win it. Look at the TV ads before the competition it was just Taylor in it and few other sports people.

unknown13 wrote: »
    I don't think it is mocking the BDO but the standard in the BDO is just pure sh*t compared to the PDC and Tony O Shea who is ranked number one there has never won a world title and is ranked #1, sort of shows the different in standards if guys like Mark Webster and Jelle Klassen who have won World title's in the BDO are not even seeded or seeded near the bottom in the PDC

This competition is geared towards Taylor and it is practically saying we want Taylor to win it. Look at the TV ads before the competition it was just Taylor in it and few other sports people.

i dont agree with that.webster and klaasen had to start at the bottom.colin lloyd was world number 1 a few years ago but he never won the world title either.mervyn king has never won a world title either and is number 4 i think.

take the grand slam.in 2008 4 of the quarter finalists were playing in the bdo at the time and around 3/8 bdo players made the 2009 q-fs.not bad given that the bdo had only 8 players to begin with.

you used the example of klaasen and webster.what about co stompe who made the quarter finals last year and is favourite to make another one this year.he didnt reach the quarter finals for 8 years at the lakeside.

interesting also that since klaasen made a pathetic token attempt to defend his title in 2007 against stompe ,stompe has gone on to greater things whilst klaasen and van gerwen have struggled.

for the record i like both pdc/bdo darts but i dont buy into sky hype.or skype if you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Sid Waddell must be the most annoying sports commentator in history! The way he goes on about Phil Taylor is ridiculous,the way he carrys on about him you'd swear he was in love with him!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

the standard of darts in the PDC is exceptional it has to be said. BDO is very entertaining but just not a high in quality..im sure there are players in the BDO that could step up and compete in the PDC..Stompe has improved no end since moving over as has mervyn king..the BDO really is holding back darts from becoming even more popular...the sooner it becomes one big organisation the better. it makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

sort of shows the different in standards if guys like Mark Webster and Jelle Klassen who have won World title's in the BDO are not even seeded or seeded near the bottom in the PDC

No excuses for Klaasen, but Webster isnt even there a year and still managed to qualify via the Pro Tour. Also he averaged 92 for tournament when he won Lakeside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

dartbhoy wrote: »
    Sid Waddell must be the most annoying sports commentator in history! The way he goes on about Phil Taylor is ridiculous,the way he carrys on about him you'd swear he was in love with him!

It does'n matter if you like or dislike Taylor, you cannot argue with his record, He is a winning machine, he won titles in the BDO in the early days and now he is cleaning up in the PDC, he has met every challange and passed it with flying colours, any player that has done well in the BDO and was hailed as the player to take on Taylor has been easily destroyed, put simply he is the greatest darts player ever, all this BDO love in is silly

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

Just back from London yesterday. I was at the Monday afternnon session and what a spectacle, what an atmosphere!!

Hearn has marketed the PDC fantastically and the PDC deserve enormous credit for making Darts popular!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

shockframe wrote: »
    showing averages after 6 darts if in the high hundreds

Yep, that is really annoying actually!

Hell, Peter Manley was number one for a while... and as someone else said, so was Lloyd. Just came down to the fact that Taylor didn't play alot of non-televised tournaments then

It's hard to blame Sky regarding their promotion of the World Championships. Taylor was featured predominately but that is only natural. Everyone knows who Taylor is. They're not going to put Wade or Barney there because they simply are not as well known to the casual viewer as Taylor.... may be annoying perhaps but it is the reality. Sky arev going to sell the WC's much more with Taylor at the helm than anyone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

Sky hype everything out of all proportion so we shouldn't place too much emphasis on their treatment of darts. Actually they have done wonders for the game I think, in terms of promoting its popularity. Taylor has 14 world titles, he deserves to be lauded.

Rod Harrington is a pain in the ring alright as was said above.

On a more personal note in last nights game, when Barney returned after losing the fourth set Painter cut him a real dirty look as if to say how dare you keep me waiting. Barney clearly has health issues and that should have been taken into consideration by The Artist. He then went on to miss a load of doubles and let Barney close out the game. So put Kevin Painter along with Harrington in the same bracket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭501darts

Two Words ..... Sid Waddell ....... aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

Theres so much about it I hate....

-the booing and disrespectful crowd (although since the grandslam is improved)
    -the constant lies about the BDO.
    -the fact Wayne Mardle is considered a good dart thrower whose having a bad patch (for 5 years)
    -the taylor worship and need to talk about him during everyones game
    -the fact we're going to see 158 nine darters this week
    -the complete disrespect they show the international qualifiers and the fact they believe only englishmen can throw darts.
    -the over hyping of Gary no bottle Anderson
    -the fact they were almost cheering Jenkins on against Whitlock
    -the constant references to averages after 2 legs.
    -the amount of times Rod Harrington say you have to hit the big numbers
    -the amount of times RH says Taylor is the best cause he finished the 120-170 shots in 6 darts 80% more than any body else.
    -Sids constant referall to Taylor picking his parts of the treble when the man himself has said he doesn't he just throws at the red bit.
    -the phrases - red bit, lipstick, green bit, bag of nails etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

jaysus lads with the amount u all hate im suprised u watch it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Antoine56

padr81 wrote: »

-the fact Wayne Mardle is considered a good dart thrower whose having a bad patch (for 5 years)
    -the complete disrespect they show the international qualifiers and the fact they believe only englishmen can throw darts.
    -the amount of times RH says Taylor is the best cause he finished the 120-170 shots in 6 darts 80% more than any body else.
    -Sids constant referall to Taylor picking his parts of the treble when the man himself has said he doesn't he just throws at the red bit.

Post of the year, my thoughts exactly, especially No 2

to be fair to anderson he was hyped up in the lakeside too.other than that great post.sid waddells comments about websters averages in 2008 was disgraceful.probably the reason he was covering the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,601 ✭✭✭✭briany

For all the tacked on glitz, I'd still take the PDC over the BDO any day for darting action. Not that I won't be watching the BDO championships though.;) But since this is that type of thread, I'll say the commentators constant effort to search for flowery analogies to describe the action and Dave Clark's CONSTANTLY smiling face. It really makes me feel like he is hiding something.........I think the crowds are actually quite well behaved, or certainly at this stage of the tournament. They were quite obnoxious early on but I've been impressed by the order they are giving as the field continues to narrow and we are seeing higher quality matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

My thoughts exactly.
    thanks for saving me typing all that. Number one has to be the crowd. Singing "there is only one Phil Taylor when he is not even playing..terrible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    It does'n matter if you like or dislike Taylor, you cannot argue with his record, He is a winning machine, he won titles in the BDO in the early days and now he is cleaning up in the PDC, he has met every challange and passed it with flying colours, any player that has done well in the BDO and was hailed as the player to take on Taylor has been easily destroyed, put simply he is the greatest darts player ever, all this BDO love in is silly

I agree completely, Phil is the best darts player ever. But it has nothing to do with Sky's biased coverage of him, and it certainly doesn't make Sid's ramblings any less annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭whaaames

Skys pantomime coverage of the premier league...

Personas, Props, Fancy Dress, Fireworks...Annoying

It was enjoyable enough when it was just 'DARTS'...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

whaaames wrote: »
    It was enjoyable enough when it was just 'DARTS'...
    you mean like lakeside. not sure i'll tune in for that next year.

Lets face facts

Regardless what anyone thinks of what the PDC and SKY SPORTS have done to the walk-on's, commentary, build ups, dancers, sniping shots at the rivals

They have progressed darts on 1 million percent from the the days before the PDC.

They have created brand association with
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fppvy52FbIg

even now if that comes on during a night out i'll get pointed at coz my mates know i love the darts.

Despite Sid Waddels random commentary from quality to annoying, his analagies mid match have been why some casual watchers started tuning in after hearing some waddelisms

Despite the fact that some of the things stated by PDC about the BDO might be complete lies, a lot are not without foundation.

Ive a lot of respect for this partnership that has made darts and darts players household names in lots of countries around the world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Nah Dion they take it way to far with their embarrassing coverage of the Premier League. There is simply no need to have people dressed up as characters from the wizard of oz etc walking on with the players.

There is nothing wrong with their coverage of all the other majors, in fact it's top clas coverage, I just don't understand why they feel the need to cross the line into cringeworthy when covering the Premier League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

Kingp35 wrote: »
    There is simply no need to have people dressed up as characters from the wizard of oz etc walking on with the players.

The tin man the other night got paid and a free ticket....not bad for about 6 seconds work though :D

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Nah Dion they take it way to far with their embarrassing coverage of the Premier League. There is simply no need to have people dressed up as characters from the wizard of oz etc walking on with the players.

There is nothing wrong with their coverage of all the other majors, in fact it's top clas coverage, I just don't understand why they feel the need to cross the line into cringeworthy when covering the Premier League.

Thats what im saying, im not suggesting for a second the premier league, the tv majors or any aspect of the PDC should be more like the Lakeside, im very pro PDC but the premier league is cringe worthy stuff, all the tv majors and the first few years of the premier league were still really enjoyable without making a song and dance routine out of it,...

Lets be honest, its not for the women or the costumes that we started playing/following darts in the first place so dont spoil it now,...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

whaaames wrote: »

Lets be honest, its not for the women or the costumes that we started playing/following darts in the first place so dont spoil it now,...

yeah, but not everyone that watches premier league got into it because they played. I know people that have never lifted a dart in their life but watch the premier league religiously.

They probably started watching it because of "the atmosphere" but have learnt about the game since then.

I appreciate that may not be the reason why you follow it, but look at the crowd/atmosphere at other tournaments(without having to name names) that only seem to attract die hard fans or players....the tournaments have about as much atmosphere as a morgue

Devastator wrote: »
    yeah, but not everyone that watches premier league got into it because they played. I know people that have never lifted a dart in their life but watch the premier league religiously.

They probably started watching it because of "the atmosphere" but have learnt about the game since then.

I appreciate that may not be the reason why you follow it, but look at the crowd/atmosphere at other tournaments(without having to name names) that only seem to attract die hard fans or players....the tournaments have about as much atmosphere as a morgue

Ah i know what your saying, and youre talkin sense, and im not trying to get at anyone but why just because its on every thursday with the same players in a league format does it have to be so cabaret,..the 2005/06 premier leagues were very enjoyable and had none of the gimmicks.
    Im a massive fan of the PDC and think they atmosphere generated at events is unmatched by anyone else, but they already had the best atmospheres and crowds before all this.
    I know its only light entertainment and im not taking it to heart or anything, but when ya see someone like Jenks standin there with horns and smoke bellowing from his nose it's a bit cringey...
    But sure i'll still never miss it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

the pdc as a whole has been fantastic for darts and has elevated the sport back to the top. but it is the coverage of pdc events on sky sports where the mistakes are being made. watching the premier league is great but by the end of it i feel my ear drums have been violated by sid and his constant stream of bull****.

Advertisement