Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

county players restrictions

Options
  • 22-12-2009 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

as a county player you are restricted from playing in leagues/ singles comps

i assume all over the country this is the same only 2-3-4 county players per team

or small one day events that have the no county players rule.
    to me all these rules do is restrice county teams.

i was just wondering can a league that is not affilated with a county panel use the county panel as a means of seeding or scrutiniseing players.
    would the league not have to form its own seeding order so that all players in that league is seeded and not just the ones who play for there county?

if i was to start a league in say dublin lets call it the (inner city league) can i use the dublin panel to restrict the ammount of county players per team if i am not workin with the dublin county darts organisation.

if from the dublin panel of 20 all were playing in my inner city league and my league consisted of 10 teams of 10players it would mean that 20% of the player would have been on county teams and be graded or seeded where as the other 80% of the league would not be subject to any sort of grading or seeding even tho some of these player might be far better that some of the guys on the county panel.

for example what if one of the teams that had no county player won the league for 3 years in a row and because none of these player bother to go play for there county there is no way of seeding them where as the guys who play for there county are restricted yet again year after year,

my point is i know many many player who dont play for there county because they couldnt be on a winning league team the next year. and i think the only ones looking out is county teams.

what are yer views onn this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

theres no rules down here with regards to county players. Last year the Ship Inn in was basically the top 6 or 8 from the sligo panel. Our league has no rules to speak of except the player has to be within 6 miles of the pub he competes for.

Imho people should be allowed to play for who they want. If there one or two teams who excel than so be it. Here in Mayo, theres a team from Newport which has probably 6 of the top 10 players in the county but not all play county. Alot of county players are mates with each other so play with the same teams for that reason.

For example if you had a 2 county player per team rule and 3 best mates all happened to qualify for Dublin what do you do?
    Or say team x has no county players but wins the league and next year 4 of them are asked to play county, do you make them have to drop 2?
    I believe something like this came up with Dionsiseire this season but could be mistaken. His team features Jacko and Mick Barry and a Dublin youth. What do they do when the youth becomes senior, its unfair to ask him to go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

Its an interesting question. In the league I play in they have a graded system where teams are allowed 4 graded players. Theres much debate over whether such a system works or should you just allow teams to have whoever they want. I think you need some kind of system otherwise newer players may never get a chance. With a graded system it should make teams only as strong as their weakest player.
    As for if you set up a league, well you'd make the rules and if teams didn't like it then they've no need to play in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Antoine56

League I play in allows anyone, be they county player, professional or ordinary pub player, to play for who they want to. How it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mussha

well i never player for my county till this year and i played in 4 leagues each year. but now as from next year i have to change teams ive been playing with for years. i think its very very unfair.

ive asked a few good players who dont play for the county why they dont and that is the exact reason they gave because the m,inute they put on a county jersey there a branded player and there restricted where they play.

norrow minded guys who run these leagues are actually hurting the county team.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

mussha wrote: »
    well i never player for my county till this year and i played in 4 leagues each year. but now as from next year i have to change teams ive been playing with for years. i think its very very unfair.

ive asked a few good players who dont play for the county why they dont and that is the exact reason they gave because the m,inute they put on a county jersey there a branded player and there restricted where they play.

norrow minded guys who run these leagues are actually hurting the county team.
    You'll have to put up with this as you get better and better, I'm afraid its a way of life. Console yourself that its because they're afraid of you :):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭mussha

You'll have to put up with this as you get better and better, I'm afraid its a way of life. Console yourself that its because they're afraid of you :):)

id agree with you buy there is better players than me that have no restrictions because they dont play county.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭mr.jingle

Which county team is it you are talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

Restrictions are hard in some circumstance however they have their merits. Local leagues can be ruined by packed teams which can happen regularly especially if there is good prize money.
    There are no county player restrictions in the league I play in however I often get asked to play in other leagues that have restrictions as I have never played county but would be more that capable (self prasie is no praise I know) and have often been asked for county but always refuse due to other commitments. As I never played county I have oftern ended up playing with friends of mine on pubs teams that I have never even had a pint in!!
    I have played on these teams for the chance to play more darts (and get out for a pint) and for no other reason. Where the rule exists i think it is a bit unfair on people who have an interest in county darts.
    The restriction rule should be coupled with a living near the pub rule. This would make it a bit fairer and would stop friends geting together and packing out teams. Saying that a team of good (not great players) which stay together over a couple of years and learn to play with each other will usually win out over "packed" teams which will always just come and go.

Advertisement