Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Alternative medicine and holistic health forum*

Options
  • 17-12-2009 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

basically I think boards could really do with a forum to discuss holistic health and alternative medicine.

It could a huge range of topics such as herbalism, holistic nutrition (I know we already have a forum for that but it's completely dominated with dieting threads), chinese medicine, aromatherapy, naturopathy, ayurveda, massage, kinesiology, colour therapy, sound therapy, natural beauty care anything not requiring a prescription for the chemist basically.

I think it would be really great for people looking to study in the area to have other people to talk to about what options are out there and to gain insight into others peoples experiences.

I think it's be great for practitioners to get to chat to each other about the challenges of working in this area and advise each other.

It would also a good spot to share natural remedy recipes like herbal tea blends, aromatherapy formulas etc. (ie the gentle harmless stuff that can't be construed as a preplacement for medical treatment)

Concern has been expressed by an admin that people might end up swapping advice or discussing medical treatments but I think a good mod should be able to prevent that sort of thing from happening and don't think theres anymore of a risk that there was when the nutrition forum started up, but it is something that needs to be intelligently argued for.

Anyone interested in helping me set this up PM me or add a link to your sig!

Heres the thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055773249

Show some support and maybe we can get something sorted! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Chances of it happening are slim as it's been tired another times over the past few years but problems always crop up with people posting claims for certain herbs and alternative medicines and not having any information to back up the claims and then getting really hostel when anyone asks for proof. I know the mods on the sciences forums have voted against the suggestion before and there's been alot of heated threads on the subject. Boards is already very mindful of anyone giving out any sort of medical advice and will prob just error on the side of caution and say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Ya I thought as much, it's a bit hypocritical to approve the nutrition forum and not one along these lines on the basis of people dishing out advice to each other without any training or papers to back themselves up.
    Is there no way around it all? I really think a goood mod ought to be able to keep everything to the rules.
    It seems a bit unfair that the science mods should sway a vote like that, I wonder how many of them had genuine ethical reasons behind their votes and not just a clash of interests.
    Should not anyone's interests (within reason) be catered for if theres enough public interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

it seems a bit unfair that the science mods should sway a vote like that, I wonder how many of them had genuine ethical reasons behind their votes and not just a clash of interests.

It wasn't a case of any of the science mods votes having more sway then anyone else they just made a very good, clear arguments for why they didn't support the idea and those supporting the creation of such a forum failed to present their case well enough to gain support.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Oh ok I thought because you specified they were mods that it had something to do with the mods deciding whether or not to allow the forum not that they were simply arguing a case against it in the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

(ie the gentle harmless stuff that can't be construed as a preplacement for medical treatment)
    A great idea, but unfortunately people will say almost everything is being suggested as an alternative for medical treatment. No matter how many times you say that they must see a GP, even if you refuse treatment to people until they see a GP, you still come across others who hold you personally responsible for their great aunt twice removed who died of cancer because their holistic therapist treated them for stress.

Could the spiritual form maybe faciliatate what you are talking about for a while, until you get the forum set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i think its a great idea, iv added my support hun :)

Advertisement