Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some high protein snack!

Options
  • 16-12-2009 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

I need high protein snacks!

I want to be getting about 150g of protein a day (for body building) whereas I probably get around 50g.

If I worked at home I could probably manage something close to it, but instead I work a very hectic computer job and find it difficult to get around to eating a handful of nuts during the day, so "snacking" on big beany, pulsey, tofuy meals isn't really doable, except at lunch.

Tried soya yoghurt today. Apart from the fact it tastes like floor, a big (to me) serving of it has just 4.5g. I like almonds, but at 21g per 100g, I'd need to eat five bags of them! Blugh :P Protein shakes have just 25g, and hard boiled eggs are what, 9g?

So can anyone think of some convenient and ideally tasty things that I could snack on conveniently in order to up my protein?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭pietromas

Does anyone know where to get good tofu jerky in Dublin city centre?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Bags of almonds are pretty good for that. They're fairly tasty and a bag has protein in the range of... dunno... it's high anyway. Downside is that they are expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

A handy snack that takes about 20 minutes (including roasting) is take 500g firm tofu, slice into 1/4" thick slabs, prepare roasting tray with 2 tablespoons peanut oil, 2 tablespoons of soya sauce, and 2 tablespoons of sesame seeds, place slabs of tofu into tray and turn to coat both sides, and stick it in the oven up full blast for 15 minutes, turning once. I could eat them all day, great in sandwiches too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Spoons of peanutbutter! Pretty good if you have to be consuming a lot of calories as well, one spoon is about 100. Plus it's delicious. Or tofu, depending on highly you prioritise taste you don't even really have to cook it, just drain it and eat it. Or prepare it and put it in sandwiches like the last poster suggested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

pietromas wrote: »
    I need high protein snacks!

I want to be getting about 150g of protein a day (for body building) whereas I probably get around 50g.

This comes up fairly regularly in the nutrition forum, the only extra nutritional requirements for weight/muscle mass gain are extra calories not extra protein. The requirements are the exact same as the RDA.
    The energy can be in whatever form you want fats and carbs are the most practical however.
    I can promise you this is true, I was totally shocked when I did my sports nutrition module in college I was under the same misconception as nearly everyone else interested in this sort of thing that protein was needed to build more proteins in the body but fraid it's not the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Protein bar/protein shake.

Litre of skimmed milk has about 34g of protein in it

Cottage chesse is the business.
    I add chopped pineapple to mine.
    Or with chives on potato.

Here are some other ideas.

http://www.stumptuous.com/the-cottage-cheese-page

Advertisement