Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beer vs. Lager!

Options
  • 15-12-2009 4:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭

So is it Beer or is it Lager!

How and where did they get their names?

What do you think! Let me know!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Beer. although i also like a good kentish ale.

Or a nice Pilsner.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

*sigh*

Lager is a type of beer, the term encompassing all alcoholic liquids made by brewing water, grain, hops and yeast. The three main types of beer are lager, ale and stout, with a multitude of varieties of each. For example, the term lager covers everything from a Helle to a Schwarzbier, taking in Dunkels, Bocks, Pilsners, Oktoberfestbiers and many others on the way. The term lager itself comes from the lagering process, which essentially is just storing the beer at a low temperature during the brewing process to encourage the yeast to settle.

Now, sorry, what was the question again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kenneth5

Which do people pefer. Ale, lager or stout? Lager for me cause it tends to be more refreshing and accessible in thsi country. Some of the ales I've tried are brutally dry. The like of Bishops Finger and London Pride are rank. The only one I've time for is the sublime Smithwicks. The only stout I have time for is Murphys and only really go for it in winter months.

So what are peoples opinions on the different types of beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I only drink the lagers worth drinking i.e. Staropramen, Tyskie, Budvar, Sam Adams. None of your crap Budweiser or Carlsberg. I also like blonde beers such as Hoegaarden and Leffe. At the moment i'm mad into pale ales like Goose Island. Jesus the hoppy flavours off them make grenache want to do cartwheels round the floor :) As for stouts, Beamish all the way, a proper creamy pint that is consistent to the last drop, unlike Guinness which goes all watery half way through and Murphys which is like coffee in a pint glass. The fact that its the cheapest makes me love it even more, pity it had to fall into the hands of those big bad Heineken folk :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Zaph wrote: »
    *sigh*

Lager is a type of beer, the term encompassing all alcoholic liquids made by brewing water, grain, hops and yeast. The three main types of beer are lager, ale and stout, with a multitude of varieties of each. For example, the term lager covers everything from a Helle to a Schwarzbier, taking in Dunkels, Bocks, Pilsners, Oktoberfestbiers and many others on the way. The term lager itself comes from the lagering process, which essentially is just storing the beer at a low temperature during the brewing process to encourage the yeast to settle.

Now, sorry, what was the question again?

Thank you it's honestly something that bugs me no end.

I'm not sure Dunkel is automatically classed in lager, you can have Dunkel Weissbier, and Weissbier is an Ale for sure.

But yes Beer is the overall Umbrella term, everything else fits in somewhere below.

Grenache Leffe Blonde is a Blonde Ale, Hoegaarden is a Witbier both ales though.

This stupid forum has be salivating during work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

mayordenis wrote: »

Grenache Leffe Blonde is a Blonde Ale, Hoegaarden is a Witbier both ales though.

This stupid forum has be salivating during work.
    Yes its ale, my mistake Denis!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

grenache wrote: »
    Yes its ale, my mistake Denis!

Unacceptable!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

its got to be ale's all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kenneth5

For fans of blonde beer I'll highly recommend Blarney Blonde. Had a few over the weekend and god is it lovely stuff. I'd still be drinking it right now if my finances would allow it. Available in the francsican well and possibly porterhouses in Dublin. Definetly worth a try.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

mayordenis wrote: »
    and Weissbier is an Ale for sure.
    So this means whenever i order a Paulaner (which is a Weissbier iirc?), i'm drinking an ale?

Tastes much better than most of the crap they sell in bars thats for sure...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭Blackjack

kenneth5 wrote: »
    For fans of blonde beer I'll highly recommend Blarney Blonde. Had a few over the weekend and god is it lovely stuff. I'd still be drinking it right now if my finances would allow it. Available in the francsican well and possibly porterhouses in Dublin. Definetly worth a try.

Also available in that very fine Beer Providing Establishment of the Bull and Castle, where many a good beer can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I like blonde wimmin and dark beer

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Which do people pefer. Ale, lager or stout? Lager for me cause it tends to be more refreshing and accessible in thsi country. Some of the ales I've tried are brutally dry. The like of Bishops Finger and London Pride are rank. The only one I've time for is the sublime Smithwicks. The only stout I have time for is Murphys and only really go for it in winter months.

So what are peoples opinions on the different types of beer?

Stout once its on draught. I can't stand the taste of larger and ale is ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 DelBoycie

It's brewed in the Franciscan Well where it tastes the best but it can be got in Fionnbarras and the Crane Lane. The pint of it I had in the Crane was rotten,though. We left and didn't even finish them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

DelBoycie wrote: »
    It's brewed in the Franciscan Well where it tastes the best but it can be got in Fionnbarras and the Crane Lane. The pint of it I had in the Crane was rotten,though. We left and didn't even finish them.

unfortunately that sould like the publican not regular wash his beer line out:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Ale for me as lager is tasteless yellow fizzy stuff, except for Brooklyn Lager and a few others.

I will drink any type of beer though. There are some fantastic lagers out there too. Belfast Lager is quite good, brewed by Hilden.

I currently have a New Zealand style pale ale and a Belgian style Dubbel on tap at home.

So I have a very diverse taste in beer. I love English ales and contrary to a previous poster I would say that Bishops finger is one of my favourites.

I previously finished off a keg of Blonde which was almost identical to Blarney Blonde and I also did an IPA which was similar to Galway Hooker.

I might brew a Rauchbier today, that is a smoked dark beer for those who do not know the style.

By the way, for different styles of beer and learning the difference you could do worse than look up the BJCP guidelines. Click a main style and then you will find the different sub styles.

Advertisement