Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a postgrad possible with a pass degree?

Options
  • 14-12-2009 12:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi,

I have a pass degree basically & I'm wondering is there any possibilities to do a postgrad now? I have a degree in IT with no interest. Does this mean I've to start an undergrad degree from the start again?

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭dazzday

Certainly not, you have alot of viable options open to you.
    A pass degree may limit your postgrad options, although i firmly believe disregard the entry requirments and apply anyways aith a personal statement expressing interest, motivation and passion for the area and you will be suprised at the response you may get.
    But look into H.Dip and other postgrad courses below Masters level; they can act as a great stepping stone to a masters, perfect for converting into another field and really help bolster your degree.
    For example a friend is currently doing a diploma in Applied Physics in Maynooth afer getting a pass degree in Engineering looking to do a masters in Physics.
    Best bet is to get on to career services and they will gladly assist you.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Moving to Postgrad forum.

Entry requirements depend on the college. A hDip is a good option to get a higher grade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

It's often at the course coordinator/whatever's discretion

For example, I contacted someone in UCD about doing an MA in Cognitive Science. The site says that you must have a 2.1 minimum. I said that I have a 2.2 and asked if that rules me out, but he said that people have gotten into the course with a 2.2, or even a pass degree, the requirements aren't set in stone.

So there ya go !

I think they're just concerned about whether you'll be able to handle the work, as they don't want people dropping out half way through. If you can demonstrate that you are interested in the subject (keep up to date with everything, read journals, subscribe to blogs/podcasts) and convince them that you'll be able to handle the work, then you've a good chance of getting in.

I think the guy I spoke to said that you should be able to account for your academic performance, ie. explain why you didn't manage a higher GPA.

Advertisement