Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get low cost mechanical watches?

Options
  • 10-12-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭

To drag this off topic a little, what prices would automatics or manual winds start at? Is there anything in the €500 mark available ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭zenmonk

Found a lovely Seiko watch - priced €595 online , jewellers in Limerick were looking for €1200!?. Where is a good place to buy Seiko?
    http://www.seiko.ie/products/seiko/c/premier/m/spb005j1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I think Tissot have a few autos in that price bracket too.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Origipolo

I'm sure if you check online you may find some of the Oris range under €500. As far as I know the base movements are produced by ETA so cant go far wrong...

That Seiko watch is available on ebay for €500 ish! new but would you guys trust Ebay? It is a UK business so might be ok.
    I can't believe I was quoted €1200! I just gasped and the girl said "is it for yourself? Ah go on you're worth it!"!!

Thanks for that bedlam
    actually bought it for 488 inc postage, great price for a mechanical watch. This is my second decent watch along with my Lacroix quartz , the colletion begins...one day the Glashutte Senator Automatik will be mine!

• Advertisement

Watch arrived on Saturday morning with An post. Nice watch , a little big and heavy but the movement is superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

zenmonk wrote: »
    actually bought it for 488 inc postage, great price for a mechanical watch

You can get mechanical watches for 50 euro and probably a lot less if you have a good look around, they may not be as accurate as a 500 piece but only by a few seconds a day, if cost is your primary consideration then you should have looked further afield

It wasn't , I have a soft spot for Seiko's having owned a Kinetic for a few years. I liked this watch immensely on first viewing and wanted to get an automatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

For around that price I'm tempted with a Vostok - http://www.vostok-europe.com/ Thinking about one for my next purchase.
    Probably the Ekranoplan. I'd like to see one in the flesh though first.

It's either that or save a bit (lot) longer and get a Ball Spacemaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

MooseJam wrote: »
    You can get mechanical watches for 50 euro and probably a lot less if you have a good look around, they may not be as accurate as a 500 piece but only by a few seconds a day, if cost is your primary consideration then you should have looked further afield

Yup. Ebay. Do a search on "alpha" or "chronotac".

Low cost chinese automatics that you can sometimes get just for the price of postage.

I've never bought one though and I dont know how accurate or how long they last.

• Advertisement
Advertisement