Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone dig Blackalicious?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Haven't listened them in years but saw them in Sacramento in 1999 when they played support to DJ Shadow in a really small club there. That was the days of Quannum, their collaboration together. They were amazing live.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cool_jerk

Ah that sounds savage man! Only got into em a few months ago an 'sides from one mate I know not a soul that likes em

• Registered Users Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Yeah, Blazing Arrow would be one of my favourite albums. They are a great group. Haven't been as impressed with any solo stuff I've heard from them though

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I've seen them a couple of times live now and they've been great. Nia, Blazing Arrow and A to G E.P. are excellent. Unfortunatley they started to go a bit downhill after that.

Gift of Gab's solo stuff has some nice moments but arent as good as they should be. His guest spots are always pretty decent and he tends to outshine others on the track.

But....i think that they are quite well known. The gigs i where at where packed compared to other gigs where it would be a handful of people. When Ugly Duckling first jumped on the scence, i was at a gig of thiers with Pigeon John in support, as far as i can remember there was only a scattering of people there.

Yeah Gab's an amazin rapper but his solo sheet aint as good...Nia's one of my favorite albums I think it's their best. I've never come across anyone that knows em here at all man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭blackalicious

:D:D

i love blackalicious and i have the username to prove it ;) blazing arrow is my favorite.

i think most people who are into hiphop would know them but beside that the they wouldn't be well known..

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I think Gift of Gabs voice might be known outside of hip hop cirlces, but he wouldnt be known by name. Mostly from the stuff he has done with DJ Shadow, that would have extended outside of hip hop and played in the 'hip' bars :)

on a kind of related note, been listening to alot of Lyrics Born lately, if you like Blackalicious and havent heard of him then look him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Nu-Centz

Blackalicious are great.. i remember being amazed by alphabet aerobics years ago.. seen them live in Crawdaddy and they rocked the place

Yeah Lyrics Born is savage I first heard him on Release from Blazing Arrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    on a kind of related note, been listening to alot of Lyrics Born lately, if you like Blackalicious and havent heard of him then look him up.

which of his albums would you recommend?

surball wrote: »
    which of his albums would you recommend?

Later that Day, Same Sh*t Different Day and Everywhere At Once.

He also has a Live album recorded in Sydney and Melbourne which is really good.

If you like those and want to hear something from him that is a little more experimental, check out his album from 97 with Lateef call Latryx. Super album that should be owned by all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Even if it's just to hear Lady Don't Tek No. Goes hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

The only album I have is Blazing Arrow and that is incredible. Really need to sort out getting more Blackalicious.

magma69 wrote: »
    The only album I have is Blazing Arrow and that is incredible. Really need to sort out getting more Blackalicious.
    Get your hands on Nia, i think it's much better than blazing arrow

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Gift of Gab is great, on his solo debut he has a track where he spits a 3 minute verse in one breath:cool:!

Ive got some Blackaicious albums called Melodica and A2G which are both really good and Ive heard some of Blazing Arrow & Nia, Clockwork and Deception are classic songs

Id agree with the lads who suggested Lyrics Born, his voice annoys me but Latyrx has some quality stuff on it, the Wreckening is one of my favorite tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

Big fan for years

One of the first big live hip-hop shows in Cork was Blackalicious in 1994 on a Mo Wax tour

We had them in Jam a few years ago too and they were dope

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭colin29

StevieG wrote: »
    Big fan for years

One of the first big live hip-hop shows in Cork was Blackalicious in 1994 on a Mo Wax tour

We had them in Jam a few years ago too and they were dope

Yup, up in Nancy Spains, wasn't there some other group there also, Hustlers HC I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Just saw this thread, posted in the gig thread but this may be more appropriate. Gift of Gab is playing Crawdaddy on 16th March 2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

One of my favourite hip-hop acts. Have Blazing Arrow and The Craft but I've only heard Deception off Nia. I'd really like to see them live.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭StevieG

colin29 wrote: »
    Yup, up in Nancy Spains, wasn't there some other group there also, Hustlers HC I think.

Yup

Shortee Blitz dj'd aswell!

went on to do big things in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I've only got The Craft but I think it's really good. Listened to A to G once in a mate's house. I'll check out all the other stuff mentioned here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭wax

First heard of them when Dj Shadow mentioned them on his "in tune and on time" dvd. Ordered ""Blazing arrow" the next day and haven't looked back :D
    Completely under-rated band

Advertisement