Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! I'm cooking Christmas Dinner this year!

Options
  • 09-12-2009 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭

This will be my first Christmas dinner.
    I've never cooked for more than two in my life, now the whole extended family will be there, 12-13 people including 2-4 veggies.
    I take my food and wine very seriously.
    Indeed, plans for meat dishes are ambitious but that's my forté and we'll leave such talk at that.
    It's the veggies I need help with.
    Every year, it seems the veggies are left to pick over a selection of what are in essence only side dishes.
    What I need is a vegetarian centrepiece....
    It will need to thrive in the narrow set of criteria that cooking dinner for 10+ imposes.
    It will of course have to be "comfort food", something that can be eaten to narcotic excess... and be acceptable to a party of 3-4 people who will of course have different tastes.
    I've had the pleasure of sampling the genius of Dennis Cotter, I know what can be achieved, but I'm looking for something a little more modest.:p:p

So, what do you guys cook for Christmas Dinner? and what do you foresee as potential pitfalls for someone not experienced with this sort of thing :pac::pac:?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Dancing_Priest

Look before you leap.....:o
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. Good ideas and no fungus pretending to be meat. No offence to those who partake of such products, but my veggies deffo don't. I'd rather do something 'real' for Christmas anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Best resource I've found in a LONG time. Fancy enough to be very impressive but no complicated methods or awkward appliances needed.
    This will probably be one of the only times I ever follow a recipe to the letter and I'm going so far as to take all my chrsitmas dinner recipes from here!

http://www.vegsoc.org/cordonvert/recipes/christmas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

can't beat a quality nut roast the most satisfying veggie dinner of all time esp when served with a good tart/sweet sauce like the apple and cranberry one on that link I provided. I'm doing the not just a nut roast on the same link this year.
    Also you can make it a few days in advance and then just heat it up taking a lot of the pressure off on christmas day and it also gives the flavours a chance to mingle and mellow and will be much tastier for it.

Advertisement