Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair of the dog

Options
  • 09-12-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

There's a thread over in R&R about people who drink more to cure a hangover.

I was wondering what the brothers thought of it?

Personally after a good session nothing makes me feel better than a slightly smaller session.

so If i have really heavy saturday night I'll tend to spend sunday in the pub "nursing" I'll have a good few pints over a prolonged peroid of time, but on Monday I'll be brand new and I'll have avoided the day of hell of a heavy hangover.

so what do we think? is it stupid to try and cure a problem with the problem?

do you skull a few pints after a heavy night?

or do you just eat your way through it.

do you think hair of the dog is a bit of a myth?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

It's a myth. A delicious, cool, peaceful, relaxing, silent, gentle, slow sippin' myth.

That's what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

Sometimes a drink takes the edge off

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

judas101 wrote: »
    Sometimes a drink takes the edge off
    And a big fry-up.

Oh yes. The big fry. Always a winner. Always.

Also good is the footlong meatball sub ... a few of those will sort you out in no time.

Kebabs are good too, and cold pizza ... for some reason :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Hair of the dog actually works.

But for the times you can't use it, here's an actual hangover cure that actually works.

1 banana, 1 pot natural yoghurt, loads of vanilla icecream, throw it in a blender, and quaff the lot. Guaranteed cure.

However, the odds of actually having those in the fridge are zero to none.

However, there is always beer in the fridge.

• Advertisement

*looks in fridge*

What about icecream, on it's own. Strawberry cheesecake flavour?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

trout wrote: »
    *looks in fridge*

What about icecream, on it's own. Strawberry cheesecake flavour?

You should probably try it. In the interests of science and research.

The theory is the bananananana(na?) gives you potassium and something something, the natural yoghurt gives you the ..eh..right..stomach bacteria things, the icecream settles your stomach.

So if all else fails, perhaps Strawberry cheesecake icecream and a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ntlbell wrote: »
    do you think hair of the dog is a bit of a myth?
    Not a myth at all, in fact it is used in hospitals!

Hangovers are mainly caused by 2 things, dehydration and/or congeners-which are alcohols and other chemicals produced by the fermentation process. When properly distilled you can separate out the congeners (methanol, ethyl acetate etc) and leave you with a very pure ethanol spirit. Most leave the crap in since it is more expensive to separate it out. It amusing how the marketing bastards have turned this around and brag about charcoal filtering etc, they only have to do this since their product is utter crap which would stink and be undrinkable if they did not treat it in this way. With beer & wine the methanol & other nasties are not taken out. The likes of budweiser uses rice & potato waste in their ingredients which will produce relatively high amounts of methanol, especially since they fermentation time is measured in hours -faster/hotter fermentation leads to more crap -but again is cheaper. Apple juice has methanol in it naturally, then the pectin further makes more methanol so cider is one of the worst drinks to have for hangovers.

Methanol gives severe hangovers and resides in the liver poisoning you. Drinking more alcohol will help flush this leftover methanol out. I have heard of doctors sending out people to get bottles of vodka to feed to patients admitted with methanol poisoning, it is certainly no myth.

If your hangover is due to dehydration you should be drinking water since the alcohol will further dehydrate you. Rum is a sugar based spirit and sugar brews are exceptionally pure, containing bare traces of methanol when brewed. Skyy vodka is also VERY pure and was developed to be a hangover free drink, amateur/hobby distillers know this well, the sign of a properly working still is the lack of hangover, and the lack of a need to treat it afterwards, with charcoal etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I just cannot stomach the hair of the dog. I suffer terrible hangovers and the mere thought of a drink the next day makes me want to gag.

A dirty big fry-up is what usually sorts me out.

Actually, I had one today (well both hangover and fry-up) and was sorted right after it.

I also always seem to long for pasta when I have a hangover. I am sure rubadub could probably explain that one to me. :D

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Actually, I had one today (well both hangover and fry-up) and was sorted right after it.

I also always seem to long for pasta when I have a hangover. I am sure rubadub could probably explain that one to me. :D
    AFAIK your glycogen (sugar) stores are depleted so you will crave carbs like sugar or pasta, this is why lucozade is a favourite. The fat in the fry up should help neutralise the bile in your system produced by the irritated liver. If you do not eat late at night after a booze up you can get that horrible acidic puke the next day, dry-retching small amounts of pure stomach acid. Do NOT drink milk, it just curdles and makes you sick more as the stink passes up form your stomach.

Drink pints of water before bed, keep water by the bed, and avoid overly spicy foods which will further irritate the stomach.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bile
    Bile acts to some extent as a surfactant, helping to emulsify fats (increasing surface area to help enzyme action), and thus aids in their absorption in the small intestine.....

On an empty stomach – after repeated vomiting, for example – a person's vomit may be green or dark yellow, and very bitter. The bitter and greenish component is bile.[citation needed] (The color of bile is often likened to "fresh-cut grass", but in a vomit it may be mixed with other components in the stomach to look greenish yellow or dark yellow.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I went out on Friday night and was, shall we say "extremely merry". Got home and insisted on ordering a Dominoes pepperoni pizza with extra cheese. I ate the whole thing myself in about two minutes(and I'm only a little un) and passed out. I woke up the next morning hangover free and by rights I should have been dying and roaring for a bucket.

Try it next time you come home worse for the wear!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rubadub wrote: »
    Methanol gives severe hangovers and resides in the liver poisoning you. Drinking more alcohol will help flush this leftover methanol out. I have heard of doctors sending out people to get bottles of vodka to feed to patients admitted with methanol poisoning, it is certainly no myth.

You're half right. The products produced by breaking Methanol down is one of the major causes of a hangover. Hair of the dog works not by flushing out the methanol with ethanol, the methanol is still there. The liver has priorities and getting rid of ethanol is it's first priority then the methanol. When you put more ethanol into your system your body switches to breaking down ethanol which has less nasty products when it is broken down. However when the ethanol is dealt with the body switches back to getting rid of the methanol which is harder to get rid of and has some nasty byproducts so you'll probably still end up with a hangover later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭tucker1971

I now suffer terrible hangovers, even after some moderate sessions.
    I would love to be able to eat a fry up, but I can not stomach any food until at best the following evening.
    I always say a true hangover is one where food or even the thought of another drink, would make a person want to gag.
    Any cure for this type of hangover from hell???:o

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Hair of the dog works not by flushing out the methanol with ethanol, the methanol is still there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol
    Methanol poisoning can be treated with the antidotes ethanol or fomepizole. Both of these drugs act to reduce the action of alcohol dehydrogenase on methanol by means of competitive inhibition, so that it is excreted by the kidneys rather than being transformed into toxic metabolites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭dasdog

Fried eggs or an omelete followed by Discovery channel and a few well iced ciders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Fracture

The only thing i feel like doing is puttin a bullet in my skull.

Since im writing this it means i haven't, what i normally do is a fry up, hugh mug of tea and a J. Usually helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I would normally go for the cure at the weekend. Although there is the danger of getting sloshed again. And it has happened!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

rubadub wrote: »

And when has wikipedia been a tome of truthful knowledge? Taking more ethanol does create competitive inhibition. Instead of your liver getting ****ed up by breaking down methanol it switches to breaking down ethanol however the methanol doesn't really go anywhere. A small amount is lost in the kidneys but if the body could just piss it out why does it need to go through the kidneys? By using ethanol your body slows down the breakdown of methanol so that less damage is done than breaking down all the methanol down at the same time and having the liver, kidney and nervous sytem floored with the methabolites of Methanol. The citation given is also crap.

Anyway with drinking more liquor you are just replacing the methanol since that's how it got there in the first place.

Advertisement