Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Whiskey? How quaint....

Options
  • 08-12-2009 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭

After three years maturing in charred white oak casks, the first English whisky in more than a century is finally ready to flow out to excited and curious drinkers around the world.

Source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20091208/wl_uk_afp/lifestylebritaindrinkwhisky

Will it catch on? Just like British wine and the British Winter Olympic team?

Or will it be The Next Big Thing for whiskey drinkers the world over?

Discuss.

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

English whiskey? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

That is all. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Tom Dunne wrote: »

Will it catch on?

Discuss.

Not if they only age it for 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Why :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

syklops wrote: »
    Not if they only age it for 3 years.
    i trust the experts on this one

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

There's a reason why it hasnt been made in England for over 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

trout wrote: »
    Why :confused:

Couldn't be classed as whisky until it's been aged 3 years, before then it can only be called malt spirit.

Tom are you saying they're trying to copy our own whiskey as well as the Scotches?

Gaspode wrote: »
    There's a reason why it hasnt been made in England for over 10 years.
    this is what i was told by a whisky expert, whiskey first came to england from ireland[middle ages] and went to scotland,whiskey was felt unnecessary in the equable english climate,also whiskey was then cheap from scotland,;;wales made whiskey in the 19th and 20th centuries,and still make it to-day,welsh brand of whiskey called penderyn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

Couldn't be classed as whisky until it's been aged 3 years, before then it can only be called malt spirit.

You misunderstand me. I meant "Why are they bothering?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Ah fairynuff.

Why indeed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

trout wrote: »
    You misunderstand me. I meant "Why are they bothering?"

I am sure Samuel Whitbread an other London porter brewers said the same thing when Arthur Guinness started up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's still spelt the wrong way!!! :(

Should be Whiskey. :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Zaph wrote: »
    English whiskey? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

That is all. :cool:

+1

Exactly the same thing i thought.
    Great minds think alike!

+1

Exactly the same thing i thought.
    Great minds think alike!
    ,show me great minds ,and i might agree with you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

getz wrote: »
    this is what i was told by a whisky expert, whiskey first came to england from ireland[middle ages];;wales made whiskey in the 19th and 20th centuries,and still make it to-day,welsh brand of whiskey called penderyn.
    +1 on the Penderyn. Got it for a Welsh friend of mine in the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Nassau St, and had it at a party she held. Its a decent malt, something along the lines of Bushmills 10 year old. But waaay over-priced at E70!! Maybe its got to do with the whole exclusivity thing and the rarity of Welsh whiskeys in Ireland

DenMan - it can be spelt either 'whiskey' or 'whisky'. For Irish and Bourbon its the former spelling but for Scotch, English and Japanese its the latter. Both are accepted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 brendy_eire

grenache wrote: »
    +1 on the Penderyn. Got it for a Welsh friend of mine in the Celtic Whiskey Shop on Nassau St, and had it at a party she held. Its a decent malt, something along the lines of Bushmills 10 year old. But waaay over-priced at E70!! Maybe its got to do with the whole exclusivity thing and the rarity of Welsh whiskeys in Ireland.

Not a particular fan, but it's really taken off in Wales in recent years, becoming the most popular whiskey there. They've also started making vodka and gin.
    Penderyn can be picked up in Wetherspoons bars up north and also in a few of the Brit supermarkets if ye's are interested.

On English whiskey, it'll never take off unless the English can tear themselves away from their Jack Daniels fixation.

Not a particular fan, but it's really taken off in Wales in recent years, becoming the most popular whiskey there. They've also started making vodka and gin.
    Penderyn can be picked up in Wetherspoons bars up north and also in a few of the Brit supermarkets if ye's are interested.

On English whiskey, it'll never take off unless the English can tear themselves away from their Jack Daniels fixation.
    as a englishman i have never met another englishman who drinks jack daniels mind you i dont mix with the limp wrist brigade,so far ,the english whiskey make rseems to be doing very well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 brendy_eire

getz wrote: »
    as a englishman i have never met another englishman who drinks jack daniels mind you i dont mix with the limp wrist brigade,so far ,the english whiskey make rseems to be doing very well

It's the most popular whiskey in the UK.
    I think it's definitely more popular amongst younger people though. It seems to be considered 'cool' or something. Although, granted, they do a great advertising job on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

JD isn't whiskey.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Des wrote: »
    JD isn't whiskey.

Actually that's not strictly true. JD is one of only two brands of Tennessee whiskey, and the only one available here. Tennessee whiskey uses the Lincoln County Process whereby the whiskey is filtered through charcoal, which flavours and colours the spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Des wrote: »
    JD isn't whiskey.
    southern comfort maybe you're thinking of

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    It's still spelt the wrong way!!! :(

Should be Whiskey. :)
    On the other side of the water there is no "e" in whisky, ask any Scotsman! ;)

Advertisement