Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Diss Tracks?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Other than some of the ones listed above.

2nd round knockout - Canibus
    Dollars & sense - DJ Quick
    Bitch in yoo - Common
    Acknowledge - Masta Ace
    Book of Daniel - MF Grimm
    The bridge is over - BDP
    No vaseline - Ice cube
    Over here - Krs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭blackbetty69

50 cent - how to rob an industry nigga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

Yeah, i agree with Eminem. His verse on Bump Heads is as good as it gets for me really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

The Game - 300 Bars and runnin'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

GiftofGab wrote: »

+100, one of the best diss tracks ever.

Eazy-E - Real Muthaphukkin' G's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Jigga

GiftofGab wrote: »
    The Game is a very talented rapper, far superior to any of those clowns in G-Unit. BTW What's the story with that I'm So Wavy track dissing Jay-Z? Thought it was crap and stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭15Pete

S0crates likes this forum, and will be spending more time here.

Hit 'em up is the greatest diss song of all time, S0crates is a big fan of Biggie and Tupac but Tupac won that one hands down.

Ether is the second best diss song of all time, Nas absolutely destroys Jay-Z on that track(and in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Jigga wrote: »
    The Game is a very talented rapper, far superior to any of those clowns in G-Unit. BTW What's the story with that I'm So Wavy track dissing Jay-Z? Thought it was crap and stupid

jigga i absoultly knew you were a gunit hater and totally a game stan how? because 50 the only rapper who actually brought down a main stream rapper by himself totally crumbled him(ja rule nd murder inc)by dropping classic diss tracs again and again there have been many great diss tracks but has any other rapper actually buried his opponent this bad to the point where he cant even get a buzz to release an album thats been pushed back nearly 5 years!! i think any so called clown would deserve respect for that! and how you would put games new york new york over "how to rob" is the final insult.. the only person who would rival 50 in terms of main stream battle rapping is nas because that dude destroyed jayz and is the single biggest reason why jayz doesnt battle anymore(jay is still very relevant) and carrys the lamest excuse ever "im too big" any real hip hop fan would know jays just scared and afraid to battle..(when i say main stream i mean worldwide artists so dont jump down my troat with royce,jada etc i know there legends and great but they aint on em,s,jigga,nas,50's level mainstream wise not talently cause jada and royce are beasts)

you really have to relise game is your right a good rapper but come on be real for a minute his lryics are terrible and has to have a feature on nearly every track he releases his last album was like l.a.x was like a duet album and these so called clowns in gunit have in lloyd banks a rapper who is probaly 1 of the most under rated lrycists out there as well as talent

my fav diss tracks ether,real mother****in g'z,hit em up,how to rob,back down

jigga i absoultly knew you were a gunit hater and totally a game stan how? because 50 the only rapper who actually brought down a main stream rapper by himself totally crumbled him(ja rule nd murder inc)by dropping classic diss tracs again and again there have been many great diss tracks but has any other rapper actually buried his opponent this bad to the point where he cant even get a buzz to release an album thats been pushed back nearly 5 years!! i think any so called clown would deserve respect for that! and how you would put games new york new york over "how to rob" is the final insult.. the only person who would rival 50 in terms of main stream battle rapping is nas because that dude destroyed jayz and is the single biggest reason why jayz doesnt battle anymore(jay is still very relevant) and carrys the lamest excuse ever "im too big" any real hip hop fan would know jays just scared and afraid to battle..(when i say main stream i mean worldwide artists so dont jump down my troat with royce,jada etc i know there legends and great but they aint on em,s,jigga,nas,50's level mainstream wise not talently cause jada and royce are beasts)

you really have to relise game is your right a good rapper but come on be real for a minute his lryics are terrible and has to have a feature on nearly every track he releases his last album was like l.a.x was like a duet album and these so called clowns in gunit have in lloyd banks a rapper who is probaly 1 of the most under rated lrycists out there as well as talent

my fav diss tracks ether,real mother****in g'z,hit em up,how to rob,back down
    I liked 50 Cent's first album but hr's had 3 poor albums since then (plus a sh!t movie). The Game has had 3 good albums. This is the diss track aimed at Jay-Z I was talking about earlier:

Despite my username i'm not a massive fan of his but that is a stupid diss from The Game, talking through his arse for the last 3 minutes, whats the point of that?!

• Advertisement

Game's career is pretty much based on beefs with other rappers which says it all really. He absolutely ripped G-Unit apart. He went at Jay during the summer but there hasn't been much since. MUFCboy, 50's hype killed Ja Rule, it was nothing to do with his skills as a lyricist. Every album since GRODT has been woeful. Game constantly released diss songs aimed at 50 and G-Unit and they never responded. Then, a couple of weeks before 50 drops an album he starts to mouth off about Game, Diddy and Jay. Game goes straight into the studio and murders 50. Again. It's been that way for years.

50 Cent fanboys won't admit it, but Game is probably at his best when he's beefing. He will go at anyone because he thrives off it. He goes straight for the throat and he won't stop until you're dead. Game killed them all with 300 Bars.

Lloyd Banks is a good lyricist, definitely the best in G-Unit, but he's irrelevant today. Without G-Unit he's nothing. And yes MUFCboy, they are clowns. What about Tony Yayo (LOL)? That guy has to be the biggest retard in hip-hop today. I'd honestly rather listen to The Ying Yang Twins. G-Unit is dead. M.O.P.? Mobb Deep? Mase? Spyder Loc (LOL)? Nobody gave a **** about them after they joined G-Unit. 50's latest album sold 114,000 copies in it's first week, less than half of what L.A.X. sold, and 50 is supposed to be the biggest, most mainstream rapper there is? I can't believe he used to go at Fat Joe over his sales - what's he got to say now? His album flopped. His group flopped. His movie career flopped. His clothing line flopped. His reality show flopped. His video games flopped. 50 Cent is over.

Meanwhile Game is back with Dre, who has gotten heavily involved with The R.E.D. Album (and who couldn't give a **** about 50 these days) and he's back at Interscope/Aftermath.

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Game's career is pretty much based on beefs with other rappers which says it all really. He absolutely ripped G-Unit apart. He went at Jay during the summer but there hasn't been much since. MUFCboy, 50's hype killed Ja Rule, it was nothing to do with his skills as a lyricist. Every album since GRODT has been woeful. Game constantly released diss songs aimed at 50 and G-Unit and they never responded. Then, a couple of weeks before 50 drops an album he starts to mouth off about Game, Diddy and Jay. Game goes straight into the studio and murders 50. Again. It's been that way for years.

50 Cent fanboys won't admit it, but Game is probably at his best when he's beefing. He will go at anyone because he thrives off it. He goes straight for the throat and he won't stop until you're dead. Game killed them all with 300 Bars.

Lloyd Banks is a good lyricist, definitely the best in G-Unit, but he's irrelevant today. Without G-Unit he's nothing. And yes MUFCboy, they are clowns. What about Tony Yayo (LOL)? That guy has to be the biggest retard in hip-hop today. I'd honestly rather listen to The Ying Yang Twins. G-Unit is dead. M.O.P.? Mobb Deep? Mase? Spyder Loc (LOL)? Nobody gave a **** about them after they joined G-Unit. 50's latest album sold 114,000 copies in it's first week, less than half of what L.A.X. sold, and 50 is supposed to be the biggest, most mainstream rapper there is? I can't believe he used to go at Fat Joe over his sales - what's he got to say now? His album flopped. His group flopped. His movie career flopped. His clothing line flopped. His reality show flopped. His video games flopped. 50 Cent is over.

Meanwhile Game is back with Dre, who has gotten heavily involved with The R.E.D. Album (and who couldn't give a **** about 50 these days) and he's back at Interscope/Aftermath.

ok first off im gona try not to hijack this thread and turn it into game vs 50

but all game fanboys after you read all this look it up because its the truth

1st off your numbers are wrong you do relise l.a.x flopped hard didnt even go platnium look that up in wiki and apoligies for lying and we wernt even in a recession it sold roughly 210k 1st week so you compare that to 50's 3rd album which sold roughly 692'000 1st week so dont even compare album sales because 50's first album alone blows all games 3 away and you know that so il leave u alone on that and wont even bring in the massacare sales or beg for mercy since you are mentioning group albums but you cant compare group albums to solo everyone knows that but t.o.s was the biggest selling hip hop group album in in 08. we gona see how game does in a reccesion prettyboy because the fact 50's album was leaked a month early and theres a lot of storys about people targting 50 to flop out there by constantly leaking tracks and albums, bisd sold 157,000 - 161,000 1st week not 114 pretty look it up was 3rd hihest next to em and jay.

now lets compare the gunit roster to bws and break it down wait hang on a minute thats right aint nobody heard of bws outside of L.A are they ever gona release a album let alone a track infact not one single 1 of there artists have released an album that says it all prettyboy. not 1 single artist on bws has a buzz outside of L.A. m.o.p,mase are long gone, game has to pay 50 to keep the gunit logo of his albums he is still under contract with gunit just like buck game never killed gunit was no where near he dropped a lot of diss tracks because it was the only way he could stay relevant and repeadtly said over the years he'd squash the beef and most recently apoligized again so how can you say he won lol gunit know you cant belive a word out of games mouth he' what they call bi-polar saying one thing apoligizing the next or in some cases crying and telling the world he wants to commit sucide c'mon pretty you know all this is true!! you'd never see 50 break down and cry or apoligiez for a diss but yet game has done it time and time again joe budden,jayz,eminem,gunit,dre etc etc said sorry to them all, gunit created the whole mixtape scene look that **** up so at least they made a change in hip hop and for that they will always be rembred for

id agree spider is awful, 300 bars was a classic, but 50 made game, game was with dre 2 years and was about to be dropped dre put him with 50, 50 gave him how we do,hate it or love it games 2 biggest tracks to date and they both were written by 50 he also gave him westside story and church for thugs. you cannot deny that 50 had a huge hand in game breakin through at the time 50 was the hottest rapper out he could of sold a blank cd and i can 100 per cent gaurntee you that if game didnt have 50 on them tracks he would have never created a buzz why? cause he done **** with dre for 2years. games back on interscope ye but dre aint tying himself down wth him he's only prod 2 tracks pharell is doing the rest(game said this) of red he aint gona work with game anymore he would 50 so get of that bus now.

now game is a talented rapper i like the guys music but c,mon game is the biggest name dropper in hip hop, his lryics are very average just like 50!!. but game has to drop a name in nearly every verse let alone track!! you know this is true belive me its very hard to find a tack or a verse where he doesnt name drop, game constantly has to have a feature on every say second track he cannot make a hit track on his own back and no "one blood" was no where near a hit.

game wants to be 50 cent he was jeolous of 50 because he's no1 at aftermath and still is next to eminem. game is going to flop hard in ths recession where hip hop music is doing terrible in general. but game is not in the same league as 50,jay,em etc

il finish by saying game apoligized to 50 because he knew its his best chance of creatng another buzz to sell a good few records and he knew it was the wrong move to go against 50 because aint nobody give a **** about game no more either and his last album showed that and again we wernt even in a recession!

but the problem with all game fan boys is they fail to look at the cold hearted facts that lay right in front of you and even when they do relise there hero is never gona be on 50's level they still dont imithe it funny funny stuff

I liked 50 Cent's first album but hr's had 3 poor albums since then (plus a sh!t movie). The Game has had 3 good albums. This is the diss track aimed at Jay-Z I was talking about earlier:

Despite my username i'm not a massive fan of his but that is a stupid diss from The Game, talking through his arse for the last 3 minutes, whats the point of that?!

i know bud but if thers 1 thing that bugs me is game fans hating on guit,

grodt = classic
    masscare= good album couple of grimey ass tunes on it
    curtis = average
    b4isd = excellent album but not a classic

documentary = classic
    dr advocate = average
    l.a.x = average

that in my opinion is a fair assumption

he dissed jay because he taught he could create a buzz because no one was interested in what he was doing (nothing) but jay being jay wont battle anyone since nas eithred him.

in my opinion i do think its a hot diss track though the beat is makes it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

50 Cent is over.

And after creating a wealth of over 270 million, it's not all bad.

Personally, I don't think he's finished though, I still think he's class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Shystie - "Murderation"

It's a Lady Fury diss, i've never heard a diss track that screams "burrrrn" like this one...

"Your dad's a deported heroin user, scans pictures of little kids on his computer"

Extra points to her for sampling a bit off an old Sidewinder tape where Lady Fury gets booed off stage

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm just gonna wade in here and let everyone know my feelings on Ether.
    The production is terrible, the beat is very annoying and distracts from the lyrics.
    The hook is terrible.
    Nas forgets to rhyme for the most part of the song.

Some of the punch lines are top notch, but for a track spanning 4 and half minutes, there are not enough punch lines.

List to the track that Tyranny posted last, every single word is aimed at Lady Fury although, there was a straight beat jack for the song.
    gunit created the whole mixtape scene look that **** up
    No they didn't, they bastardised the mixtape scene. They are the people who took something that was once beautiful, created fancy packaging and started to get it distributed through thier record labels and into record stores. And in these record stores, they are being sold for the same price as a proper album.

This whole beef rap that we have these days p1sses me right off. People are writing and releasing responces in a matter of hours, the song makes no attempt to finsh the other person, just some random mumblings about them.

Go back in history, look at battle raps back then, that's how it is supposed to be done, not for record sales, not for fame, not for popularity, not to promote your upcoming album/mixtape, like it is today. It was about respect and defending your position. And when it's over it's over...tip of the hat to Jay-Z for still keeping that alive.

1st off your numbers are wrong you do relise l.a.x flopped hard didnt even go platnium look that up in wiki and apoligies for lying
    I never said it went platinum?? It sold 239,000 CD's in it's first week, more than double of 50's latest album. It has sold around 800K so far. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAX_(album)

Am I reading that right? Do you want me to apologise to you? For what?

Twat.
    50's first album alone blows all games 3 away
    50's first album was his only good one, plus he was a marketing phenomenon. 800K+ first week sales is great but Game wasn't far off with close to 600K.
    50's album was leaked a month early and theres a lot of storys about people targting 50 to flop out there by constantly leaking tracks and albums, bisd sold 157,000 - 161,000 1st week not 114 pretty look it up was 3rd hihest next to em and jay.

It is 114,000 CD's - that's how soundscan is calculated, no digital sales. Every single album gets leaked. Why should 50 be the exception to the rule?
    game has to pay 50 to keep the gunit logo of his albums he is still under contract with gunit
    Game left Aftermath in 2006 to terminate his contract with G-Unit. Why would he have to pay 50 to keep the G-Unit logo off his albums???

Plank.
    gunit created the whole mixtape scene look that **** up so at least they made a change in hip hop and for that they will always be rembred for
    You are such a muppet.
    300 bars was a classic.
    Have to agree with you on that he one. He killed G-Unit with that track.
    games back on interscope ye but dre aint tying himself down wth him he's only prod 2 tracks pharell is doing the rest(game said this) of red he aint gona work with game anymore he would 50 so get of that bus now.
    Yeah, Pharrell is the executive producer but he's not producing the rest of the tracks, maybe 3-4. What the **** does that last part mean?
    game is not in the same league as 50,jay,em etc
    You think 50 is in the same league as Jay and Em? Are you taking the piss???
    game apoligized to 50 because he knew its his best chance of creatng another buzz to sell a good few records and he knew it was the wrong move to go against 50 because aint nobody give a **** about game
    Game wants to end the feud with 50 because that's what Dre wants.

grodt = classic
    masscare= good album couple of grimey ass tunes on it
    curtis = average
    b4isd = excellent album but not a classic

documentary = classic
    dr advocate = average
    l.a.x = average

that in my opinion is a fair assumption
    That in your opinion is a fair assumption? So you haven't heard the albums, you're just assuming they're classic or average?

How can you say Doctors Advocate was average and BISD is excellent? Agree that The Doc and GRODT are both classics. I do think LAX was the weakest of Game's three but I'd rather listen to that than Candy Shop, Baby By Me, Fire, Just A Lil' Bit, etc.
    when they do relise there hero is never gona be on 50's level they still dont imithe it

MUFCboy, your grammar and spelling is painfully bad. What age are you? Please don't tell me your username is hinting at it.

Bottom line is Game murders 50 when it comes to diss tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I'm just gonna wade in here and let everyone know my feelings on Ether.
    The production is terrible, the beat is very annoying and distracts from the lyrics.
    The hook is terrible.
    Nas forgets to rhyme for the most part of the song.

Some of the punch lines are top notch, but for a track spanning 4 and half minutes, there are not enough punch lines.

List to the track that Tyranny posted last, every single word is aimed at Lady Fury although, there was a straight beat jack for the song.

Agree 100%. I used to think Ether was great, but when you actually listen to it, its the kind of diss you could throw at anyone, most of it is just made up name calling.

On the hand, Takeover disects Nas' career in just 16 bars, and if people seriously think Nas won that beef, whos workig for who??

Anyway one diss im surprised hasnt been mentioned is B.I.G - Who Shot Ya, thats one of my favorites. And Jadakiss - Checkmate

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

ok first off im gona try not to hijack this thread and turn it into game vs 50

but all game fanboys after you read all this look it up because its the truth

1st off your numbers are wrong you do relise l.a.x flopped hard didnt even go platnium look that up in wiki and apoligies for lying and we wernt even in a recession it sold roughly 210k 1st week so you compare that to 50's 3rd album which sold roughly 692'000 1st week so dont even compare album sales because 50's first album alone blows all games 3 away and you know that so il leave u alone on that and wont even bring in the massacare sales or beg for mercy since you are mentioning group albums but you cant compare group albums to solo everyone knows that but t.o.s was the biggest selling hip hop group album in in 08. we gona see how game does in a reccesion prettyboy because the fact 50's album was leaked a month early and theres a lot of storys about people targting 50 to flop out there by constantly leaking tracks and albums, bisd sold 157,000 - 161,000 1st week not 114 pretty look it up was 3rd hihest next to em and jay.

now lets compare the gunit roster to bws and break it down wait hang on a minute thats right aint nobody heard of bws outside of L.A are they ever gona release a album let alone a track infact not one single 1 of there artists have released an album that says it all prettyboy. not 1 single artist on bws has a buzz outside of L.A. m.o.p,mase are long gone, game has to pay 50 to keep the gunit logo of his albums he is still under contract with gunit just like buck game never killed gunit was no where near he dropped a lot of diss tracks because it was the only way he could stay relevant and repeadtly said over the years he'd squash the beef and most recently apoligized again so how can you say he won lol gunit know you cant belive a word out of games mouth he' what they call bi-polar saying one thing apoligizing the next or in some cases crying and telling the world he wants to commit sucide c'mon pretty you know all this is true!! you'd never see 50 break down and cry or apoligiez for a diss but yet game has done it time and time again joe budden,jayz,eminem,gunit,dre etc etc said sorry to them all, gunit created the whole mixtape scene look that **** up so at least they made a change in hip hop and for that they will always be rembred for

id agree spider is awful, 300 bars was a classic, but 50 made game, game was with dre 2 years and was about to be dropped dre put him with 50, 50 gave him how we do,hate it or love it games 2 biggest tracks to date and they both were written by 50 he also gave him westside story and church for thugs. you cannot deny that 50 had a huge hand in game breakin through at the time 50 was the hottest rapper out he could of sold a blank cd and i can 100 per cent gaurntee you that if game didnt have 50 on them tracks he would have never created a buzz why? cause he done **** with dre for 2years. games back on interscope ye but dre aint tying himself down wth him he's only prod 2 tracks pharell is doing the rest(game said this) of red he aint gona work with game anymore he would 50 so get of that bus now.

now game is a talented rapper i like the guys music but c,mon game is the biggest name dropper in hip hop, his lryics are very average just like 50!!. but game has to drop a name in nearly every verse let alone track!! you know this is true belive me its very hard to find a tack or a verse where he doesnt name drop, game constantly has to have a feature on every say second track he cannot make a hit track on his own back and no "one blood" was no where near a hit.

game wants to be 50 cent he was jeolous of 50 because he's no1 at aftermath and still is next to eminem. game is going to flop hard in ths recession where hip hop music is doing terrible in general. but game is not in the same league as 50,jay,em etc

il finish by saying game apoligized to 50 because he knew its his best chance of creatng another buzz to sell a good few records and he knew it was the wrong move to go against 50 because aint nobody give a **** about game no more either and his last album showed that and again we wernt even in a recession!

but the problem with all game fan boys is they fail to look at the cold hearted facts that lay right in front of you and even when they do relise there hero is never gona be on 50's level they still dont imithe it funny funny stuff

Please god learn how to write paragraphs, learn where to use full stops and learn that text speak is against forum rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

I never said it went platinum?? It sold 239,000 CD's in it's first week, more than double of 50's latest album. It has sold around 800K so far. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAX_(album)

Twat.

50's first album was his only good one, plus he was a marketing phenomenon. 800K+ first week sales is great but Game wasn't far off with close to 600K.

It is 114,000 CD's - that's how soundscan is calculated, no digital sales. Every single album gets leaked. Why should 50 be the exception to the rule?

Game left Aftermath in 2006 to terminate his contract with G-Unit. Why would he have to pay 50 to keep the G-Unit logo off his albums???

Plank.

You are such a muppet.

Yeah, Pharrell is the executive producer but he's not producing the rest of the tracks, maybe 3-4. What the **** does that last part mean?

That in your opinion is a fair assumption? So you haven't heard the albums, you're just assuming they're classic or average?

How can you say Doctors Advocate was average and BISD is excellent? Agree that The Doc and GRODT are both classics. I do think LAX was the weakest of Game's three but I'd rather listen to that than Candy Shop, Baby By Me, Fire, Just A Lil' Bit, etc.

MUFCboy, your grammar and spelling is painfully bad. What age are you? Please don't tell me your username is hinting at it.

Banned for repeated personal insults.

• Advertisement

Twat.

Plank.

You are such a muppet.

prettyboy coudnt be arsed writing all that again had a huge write up there in my reply only for me to try and post it for it to say to say im not logged in when i was just lost it all what a joke. il try again tommrow and il finish this debate once and for all because iv got the facts writen down right in front of me just to prove you cant compare game to 50.

Orizio no need to ban prettboy on my behalf i didnt take offence to anything he said, he's just passionate about the game and the whole 50 vs game honestly i didnt take offence. And sorry about my grammer as i was rushing and didnt think it was such a big deal but im just warning you my spelling and grammer isnt the best hope you understand without me going any further.

And just to clear up my name prettyboy its regards to man utd winning the treble in 1999 and im 21 been follwing hip hop like a religion since i was 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Lads, where to begin!

First off lads, seriously, what is the point of getting all hot and bothered about 50 cent and the game for? Why do people always take sides in this stuff like you're related to them or something. Appreciate the music and leave it at that. It's music, nothing more. Take a step back, breath deep and lay off the haterade!

Second as somebody said above, neither 50 or the game have put out any real quality dissed. I think they must have read my mind, because I was gonna say the same thing; you shouldn't need 48 mixtapes to take down a rival, 48 bars should do it. The most epic beef in hip-hop history, jay-z and nas, was played out over about two or three songs and freestyles each! The most legendary battle ever, mrs and mc Shan was done in about 6 songs total! Ice cube tore n.w.a. to shreds in just one song!

Plus, any diss song that relies solely on gay jokes and studio threats to make it's point is not but juvenile and unimaginative, so no, 50 and game aren't legends for their battles.

Which brings me on to my next point. Jay-z one the war with nas, hands down! and here's why. 1 takeover was the superior song. In 16 bars, jay completely broke down nas' career, exposed him as a one hit album wonder and destroyed any street or critical credibility he had. Same with prodigy. Nas on the other hand just resorted to gay jokes and some poor puns and made up facts. Jay-z never got chased to nas' building folks! What wowed people about ether was the venom and ferocity in nas' delivery!
    2 the reason people claim that nas was the clear victory was a hit 97 radio show phone poll taken after the release of ether and a jay-z freestyle called super ugly. That poll had nas winning by 1 or 2 percent, but it was a comparison of nas' album song against a quickly thrwon together freestyle. It didn't compare ether with takeover which would have been the real test. Furthermore the fact that ether didn't beat the freestyle hnds down says a lot in of itself! If takeover had been put up against as nas' stillmatic freestyle takeover would landslides it!
    3 that was a battle for the throne of new York, so how can nas have won if jay-z was more or less universally accepted as wearing that crown in it's aftermath. From the release of the blueprint until his comeback jay-z was accepted by most as the best rapper alive, if not best ever full stop. If nas had one he would have claimed that title but jay's 16 bars on takeover meant that could never happen. Jay exposed nas' career for what it was at that time - one hot album every 10 year average with a lot of garbage in between. He destroyed any credibility he had at that time and while nas has subsequently grown into the emcee illmatic suggested he could be, at the time of that battle jay had destroyed his image as a truly great emcee!

On the subject of jay, somebody said 50 was the only person to ever ruin a major rappers career. Please! First of all the FBI investigation and federal drug trial had far more to do with murder inc's disappearence than 50 cent ever did! Secondly, rappers have been posing careers by battling for years now! Krs has been destroying careers for years. ask mc Shan! Ll col j put an end to Koop moe dee! And like it or not jay more or less put paid to prodigy with takeover. Now if 50 was as credible as people male out he would have stuck to his word and retired after manufacturing a sales battle with kanye who wanted none of it and still lost!

Please, 50 never invented mixtapes! Learn your history!

And finally for now, not a song but greatest ever diss event ever was krs one bum rushing a concert of some dude's show who dissed him, throwing him off stage and then throwing him off stage and performing a bdp set! Now that's how to battle!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Hit em up hands down for me. Its 5 minutes of pure passion. It might not be the most subtle of lyrics but its still the best.

Also like Eminem's version it but cant remember the name. "Grab your 80's when you see slim shady!"

Ether is up there too. Nas putting it to the jigga man himself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Pimp Slapp'd by Snoop Dogg is class. It's mostly about Suge Knight and Death Row but he has a go at Xzibit too. AFAIK, Xzibit never responded.

No Vaseline by Ice Cube is brilliant, so angry and thorough. He really tears through NWA. Back Down by 50 Cent is another good one, he really hates Ja Rule.

On Ether, Nas does go on about how his own career stalled and how he respects Jay-Z, he does claim the King of New York crown ("The king is back...where's my crown at?") and think he said something similar on Last Real Nigga Alive from God's Son. As for the gay jokes, being gay and black is supposed to be a big taboo so for Nas to call Jay-Z gay, it's going to damage his standing among some people.

I think the way that he goes off on tangents and goes against the norm for a song is because he's so worked up about the situation. Tbh, I couldn't give a **** if the chorus is good or not, it's not as if he means for the track to be a single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 fishypancake

The BEST battle Ive ever seen , not really a diss track , but I have to share it was Lil Wayne V Eminem . Sounds rather one sided because it is. Gets on him BAD! Its found on youtube , so search around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Pimp Slapp'd by Snoop Dogg is class. It's mostly about Suge Knight and Death Row but he has a go at Xzibit too. AFAIK, Xzibit never responded.

when were snoop and xzibit beefing? i never heard about that but i guess it didnt last long seeing as theyve collaberated a few times since.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,058 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

tdc wrote: »
    when were snoop and xzibit beefing? i never heard about that but i guess it didnt last long seeing as theyve collaberated a few times since.
    The line in Pimp Slapp'd is: "I straight up buss your boulevard. I'm not Xzibit, you can't pull my whole chord."

That was in 2002.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

No Vaseline by Ice Cube is brilliant, so angry and thorough. He really tears through NWA. Back Down by 50 Cent is another good one, he really hates Ja Rule.

On Ether, Nas does go on about how his own career stalled and how he respects Jay-Z, he does claim the King of New York crown ("The king is back...where's my crown at?") and think he said something similar on Last Real Nigga Alive from God's Son. As for the gay jokes, being gay and black is supposed to be a big taboo so for Nas to call Jay-Z gay, it's going to damage his standing among some people.

I think the way that he goes off on tangents and goes against the norm for a song is because he's so worked up about the situation. Tbh, I couldn't give a **** if the chorus is good or not, it's not as if he means for the track to be a single.

I didn't think the whole homophobia thing is actually a black thing. Not sure, but i thought it was what all the 12 year olds are calling each other in the playground these days!

The problem with all these diss track bull****s is that people seem to be forgetting what its all about - showing and proving your mic skills. Battles are meant to be about skills not who can pretend to be a bigger thug. I hate to have to reference this as being authorative, but check out the battle scences on 8 mile. that's what rappers are meant to be doing when battling - just because 50 cent copped on that he could sell buckets of records by manufacturing artificial beefs and sell some studio posturing to white people doesn't mean thats how it should be (and before anybody says anything, i was one of those GRODT buying white people. And he sold 10 million records stateside - yes most of them were white!)

End of the day, battles should be judged on mic skills. Jay killed nas with takeover. I don't care if nas called him gay, he couldn't refute anything Jay said and he couldn't show up Jay's mic skills either.

Also, the fact that Jay-z offered to put up $1 million for a televised freestyle rap battle with nas and nas wouldn't bite shows nas didn't think he could handle him on the mic (although then again, everybody knows Jay never writes anything down, whereas nas does. Jay would have had that one licked)!

Now i know why they call KRS the teacher - he needs to school a whole lot of people about hip-hop battling! Thats the one thing i respected about Joe Budden in that all method man thing - he was taking rap back to when it was a competitive sport. He wasn't doing anything but backing himself behind the mic, didn't want to take it outside of rap, and wanted to battle for nothing other than to prove who was the best.
    The line in Pimp Slapp'd is: "I straight up buss your boulevard. I'm not Xzibit, you can't pull my whole chord."

That was in 2002.

It was Ho card. It was a bull**** beef because Xzibit dissed Jermaine Dupri with Dre and Eminem. More manufactured ****.

Thought that was actually a very weak song. Actually, a very weak album! Didn't listen to that track much, but there was nothing memorable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KangoSkank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynt7HeKcSKs

I like a lot of the ones mentioned alreay. Here's another.

• Advertisement

Advertisement