Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas gifts

Options
  • 03-12-2009 4:15pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok, folks, it's that time of year again.

Not sure what I want this year (small items), but on my list is certainly some memory cards (CF and SDHC) and a memory card holder.

Most likely -

SanDisk Extreme 8GB 400x UDMA Compact Flash
    SanDisk 8GB Extreme III 30MB/Sec SDHC Card

SANDISK LARGE MEMORY CASE

Anyone got anything on their little lists (I'm not talking about 400mm f/2.8 lenses, Canon 1D MkIV nor Nikon D3s)?? ;)

Maybe some radio triggers too and a gorilla pod?

Any recommendations on what I could add to my list (and/or where I should buy (or point her to buy))??? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Ah come on Paul, we all know you'll be leaving this open on the laptop for her to see tonight.

Santa, if you're listening, a few packs of Polaroid 600, a pack of Polaroid Type 55 and a Burberry trench will do just fine. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Done with buying stuff, so printing and framing vouchers are all I need.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Santa, if you're listening, a few packs of Polaroid 600, a pack of Polaroid Type 55 and a Burberry trench will do just fine. Cheers.

You had me there up until the burberry. Dude :eek:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Ah come on Paul, we all know you'll be leaving this open on the laptop for her to see tonight.

Nope, I'll copy what I need in to an email, and send it to her. :D It's more for when family ring her and ask what to get for me.

You had me there up until the burberry. Dude :eek:

Unfortunately, that's because Irish have an silly odd association with the Burberry brand and chavs... I don't think dole and junk money allows for real Burberry - Nevermind a £800 trench ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

ideally i'd love a nifty fifty, a tripod (:o for all those who were on the last photowalk...) and a bigger hard-drive to house stuff. Since I'm only just getting into figuring out all my settings and stuff i think anything else might be a waste at this point...

part of me would also like a film slr to play with... i've had a complusion for the last few days... weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Unfortunately, that's because Irish have an silly odd association with the Burberry brand and chavs... I don't think dole and junk money allows for real Burberry - Nevermind a £800 trench ;)

Ah now, trench coat wise, nothing can beat a Crombie. Away with you and your burberries :)

Their Military and Covert's are nice, but I still prefer Burberry - Plus I have my people inside Burberry to get me some discount :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭dakar

Books, Books, Books.

I've more or less picked up most of the reasonably priced bits and pieces I want now. So barring the unlikely event of someone sponsoring a 24-70 f2.8, I've given anyone who's asked a link to an amazon wish list. Some photography books, some other stuff, some practical, some more theoretical, a random selection of things that I may or may not get around to picking up for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I was gonna say a new tripod, as it went bust on me recently while shooting the new Waterford bridge (late on a very cold frosty night) :eek:.....but.........I managed to fix it (with a washer!) :D
    So.......Santa, I want an ND grad, some B&W film, and an old 50mm 1.4 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

I just got micro fiber cloths from 7day shop - very handy indeed.

Wouldn't mind a good hat - Croker was freezing last week!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Let's see a flash (sb-600) & matching lightsphere, a new (bigger) cam bag (lowepro stealth reporter D300 AW), camera remote (ML-L3), a giottos rocket blaster & tickets to Portugal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Got a balaclava coming. 1D MKIV is quite possible or 400mm f/2.8 arriving. A slave to carry the gear but without the accreditations, just carry the gear to the venue from my car and so forth.

Memory cards, new pc, photography books etc are on the agenda too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Did someone win the lotto???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Unfortunately my Sigma 24 - 70 didn't work out (autofocus and softness issues) , and have to cough up the difference for a nikon brand , probably upgrade to the 18 - 55 2.8 - so all funds going on this upgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Clark Little's book. iTunes vouchers

Probably a few memory cards but I'm not short of them. Little baby perfume bottles to use as props in photographs:

701C3B5285B8410994000C77B601A07C-500.jpg

I have more or less everything I really want equipment wise and a load of books to peruse at my leisure.

I may look more at supplying the other hobbies I have like the climbing and the other creative stuff.

Paper possibly though I'm not short of that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

thebaz wrote: »
    Unfortunately my Sigma 24 - 70 didn't work out (autofocus and softness issues) , and have to cough up the difference for a nikon brand , probably upgrade to the 18 - 55 2.8 - so all funds going on this upgrade

If your looking for top quality Sigma falls that little bit short imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Covey wrote: »
    If your looking for top quality Sigma falls that little bit short imo.

never buy Sigma again - that old quote "you get what you pay for" springs to mind (unfortunatly :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

thebaz wrote: »
    never buy Sigma again - that old quote "you get what you pay for" springs to mind (unfortunatly :mad:

I'd second that Baz. I got a 10-20 back in January, and every comment I've gotten on it at club level is 'soft'.

For Sale one Sigma 10-20 - any offers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭mobileblog

Last night I ordered a few batteries and a few scandisk 4gig cards, so should have them on Monday. I think i'll give my computer a little bit of Ram around January to help it through the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Sigma 10-20 or Canon 10-22 depending on the funds at the time.

430ex II.

Have everything else I need, except time at the moment :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Looks like I'll be needing a new computer - this one is definitely on it's last legs. Just tried No. 1 son's laptop but the screen is sh1te - however I can plug my Samsung 19" screen into it and it works fine - so Santa - New laptop please!

Advertisement