Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moods and lack of fish oils...

Options
  • 02-12-2009 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

So, If mods dont mind I'd like this to be left in this forum and not in the diet and nutrition one if thats ok...

Straight out, I'd like to ask about peoples moods...not necessarily naming depression/anxiety etc but just general moods and Im singling out vegetarian/vegan diets.
    I've been doing lots of research lately on good fats, omega 3 and 6 etc and their purpose in the diet in relation to mood....cause I'm interested in that type of thing :). Basically I'm trying to eat more of these and since starting this, have found my mood is much more level and less...ok, ill say it...depressed. I have been going through a cycle of joining weight watchers over the past few years - even though I'm not really over weight, just kind of big if you know what I mean. There points system tends to stear you away from any high pointed foods, even those with good fats and encourage you to spend your points if you want, on treats which are often lower in points but higher in sugar. I remember doing it at one stage and being really annoyed at myself for eating walnuts which are super high in fat and therefore points. So I've always stopped myself from eating things like nuts and seeds and oily fish and oils etc. I hardly ever eat fish but since increasing my intake to once a week and having nuts/seeds every second day I can definatly feel my mood getting better.
    Do any vegans veges out there take oil or omega supplements and would they find an effect in their mood if they didnt?
    Just wondering really...cause I hate feeling I HAVE to eat fish and dont really like the idea of taking fish oil tablets cause its the same thing of course. But Omega 3 seems only to be found in shellfish and nothing other than fish if I'm not mistaken...and I might well be.

What you lot think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

i think u can get omega 3 from flax seed oil? not sure, someone here will know :)

im not sure i can help with the mood thing, iv never thought of food effecting my mood, well apart from chocolate which obviously makes one happy :)

i dont take any oil supplements but i do eat seeds and nuts, much or often though :/
    my mood is up and down all the time :(:):(:) maybe i should watch my diet more :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

It's true about omega 3 being derived from flaxseed, there are supplements suitable for vegan/veggie diets if you dont intend on using the oil with food. And i've heard that the omega versions 9 and 12 contribute to a healthier mindset, must look into it myself really... I stopped taking supplements but need to again for a bit as my diet had suffered after the marathon for a few weeks and i was pretty run down last week. Must buy some linseed mix also:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hemp seed and hemp seed oil contains all that omega jazz too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

vegan and veggie omega oils available in boots. Vertese. :)
    iam1459_vertese_omega_oils_3_6_9.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭i-digress

vegan and veggie omega oils available in boots. Vertese. :)
    iam1459_vertese_omega_oils_3_6_9.jpg

Thanks, that's what I'll get so :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

I-digress, if you are thinking of buying omega supplements, just be aware that in todays world, people generally seem to have too much omega 6 like from foods on this list http://jmyarlott.com/omega6s/[/URL] and not enough omega 3 like from foods on this list - scroll down a bit http://whfoods.net/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=84#foodsources and 9 - scroll down a little http://www.muscleandstrength.com/supplements/ingredients/omega-9.html#1. So see if you eat alot of Omega 6 rich foods cause you might only need the others. I've noticed there seems to be a big push for people to eat more 3 lately but for a normal vegan/vege/pesc diet, I'd say we get plenty 9.

Though it might be worth mentioning like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Any oil begins to go rancid as soon as you take it from its source so I have a little coffee grinder and I place three dessertspoons of organic golden flax seeds in it per day and add it to a glass of water (I also add some macca).
    I think that it is the very best (and cheapest) way to get your Essential Fatty Acids.

Advertisement