Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Groceries

Options
  • 02-12-2009 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi guys

I am coming from Australia to Dublin for seven weeks and just wondering if anybody had any advice on shopping for vegan products in the supermarket. This includes like main meals and snacks etc.

What products exist?
    What brands are vegan?
    Are there any recommended stores to shop?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Hi,

Tesco's have a "Free From" section in their stores, but it's more about gluten/nuts/egg/dairy free than about vegan. I'm not vegan, just veggie but I find Tesco Dundrum great (also the Jervis Centre one in Dublin city) - it's the only place I've spotted Seeds of Change Chinese stir fry sauce and Westons vegan organic cider. Large Tescos are prolly the best but you might want to steer clear of their bakeries. :(
    Marks & Spencers are great too (though a bit pricier and can get a bit confused when compiling vegan lists :D) and Superquinn staff are always happy to help.

Unfortunately, you still have to check your labels and check the ingredients lists, so you prolly will end up shopping alot in Health Food stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Hi Jessy, what part of Dublin are you going to? Small health food stores are usually your best bet, they tend to stock specifically vegan products and usually are able to offer advice on what's good or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Hi there

If you are staying in the centre of Dublin then there are a few Oriental supermarkets where you can get tofu, lentils, spices and other delights.

The supermarkets all do their own brand soya milk. These are usually about 80c a litre. One of the popular brands of soya products is Alpro/Provamel. Just google them for pics of all their things. They do Yoghurts, desserts, cream, custard and other bits and bobs.

There are a chain of health food shops called Nourish which have all your usual health food stuff. The best one for food stuffs is the one on Wicklow St (just off Grafton St).

Any usual supermarket will have all your veggies and staples.

Any q`s when you are here then just shout - there is always someone lurking on this helpful forum to help you out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jessyd88

Thanks to everybody for replying to me =)

Absurdum - I will be staying in Blanchardstown but city centre is pretty easy to get to as well.

Thoushaltnot - Thanks for the supermarket info as I know there is a tesco right by the place I am staying so hopefully I can locate the "Free From" stuff.

flikflak - I love asian supermarkets! I live in them in Australia. They are like a goldmine for vegan finds! I am relieved to hear that there are a few in Dublin too.

Will definitely have to get to the local health food store and hopfully they can give me some good advice too!

Thanks again guys, I really appreciate it! Can't wait to come over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

jessyd88 wrote: »
    Absurdum - I will be staying in Blanchardstown but city centre is pretty easy to get to as well.

The Health Store in The Blanchardstown Centre has some vegan cheese and ice cream (Tofutti etc) and some other bits and pieces. There is also a vegetable shop in the village (near the Garda (police) station) that stocks lots of fresh fruit and veg as well as loads of different lentils, beans, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jessyd88

Thats great! I think as long as i can at least get fresh veg and legumes all will be ok! Great to know there are other vegans who know the area so well =)

Are there any vegan groups or anything that meet up in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

jessyd88 wrote: »
    Are there any vegan groups or anything that meet up in dublin?

None strictly vegan. There is the Yahoo meet-up group which is closely affiliated with the Irish Vegetarian Society http://vegetarian.meetup.com/485/ and we hold meet-ups sometimes, but we aren't very organised ;) But if you throw an idea out there for a time/place, you never know, as Missiechan did... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055732898

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

Check on www.happycow.net to get the low down on any town in the world.

Advertisement