Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC world championship 2010

Options
  • 02-12-2009 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭

The world championship is kicking off this month phil taylor is obviously the player to beat and pp have him @2/5 to win it so who do you feel is the value bet to win it or make the final, i fell terry jenkins @ 33/1 is the one for me, i know he never won a major championship but he's never to far away from the final so what do you guys think?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

It depends who is on the opposite draw to Taylor, we won't know until it's made. I wouldn't go putting any bets on just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

As King said, it's better to wait for the draw to decide but players i'm looking at are:

Anderson - 16/1
    King - 25/1
    Jenkins - 33/1
    Whitlock - 55/1
    Walsh 66/1
    Caven - 150/1

I really think that Anderson can do very well in this but not at 16/1. When you consider that King is 25/1 and has turned Taylor over a few times this year he is much better value.

Jenkins as the OP said is always in the hunt and is definately worth a punt.

Dark horses are Whitlock, Walsh and Caven.

Whitlock impressed me in the GSOD, especially his finishing. Walsh has had a fantastic year and Caven is a smashing up and coming player. Depending on the draw i might have a small punt on one or two of these.

May also have a small bet on John Part at 80/1. He's had a terrible year by his standerds but he is a class player especially in this format. If he can find a bit of form he will be very difficult to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Kingp35 wrote: »
    It depends who is on the opposite draw to Taylor, we won't know until it's made. I wouldn't go putting any bets on just yet.
    Yes indeed wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭shockframe

jenkins and anderson are to be avoided if past performances are anything to go by.terry jenkins has only got past the first round twice in something like 6 attempts and gary anderson lost 5 times in the opening stage of the lakeside.as good as they are i would be wary of backing them with their history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Having played with and talked to Lewis last night

i would LOVE to see him do it and get one of taylor, i'd love it even more if it was Taylor he beat

He was saying that at the German Championship just gone where he lost 8-6 to Taylor after the match had ended Phil came over to him and said

"Aide looking at this", grabbed his hand and showed that his arm was shaking and then put his hand to phils forehead and phil was sweating

As Aide was then saying, Phil Doesnt Sweat in matches, he doesnt get nervous, but lewis had him on the rocks and looking ropey.

Hopefully lewis can exert that kind of pressure on him at the Ally Pally

• Advertisement

Whats the story with Paddy Power? They're listing over 100 players on their website including Fordham, Warriner - Little, Mason and Anastacia....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Pity you can't lay them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dartsfan

Sadly I think Taylor will piss this, no one is going to touch him in the quarter he's in at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

Excluding Taylor, which is a pretty major exclusion....how about a few euro on Beaton? Has been in great form recently, and has the confidence of a tournament win behind him in the last few weeks. Given that he has Rodrigues in round 1, and then potentially,if things go to form ( a big if I know) Hamilton, Wade, and then Jenkins in the QF's, all of whom he is capable of beating on form.

The negative thing about him is that I think he doesn't do well in front of the TV cameras for some reason.

• Advertisement

Yeah I would stay well clear of Beaten, he just can't produce his floor form on the stage. It's a pity because he is well capab;e but unless he just clicks then I can't see him going past round 2 and Rodrigues could easily knock him out in the first round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Can't see Taylor been beat in this so looking at the opposite side of the draw for each way value i fancy Ronnie Baxter big time @ 80/1 with Boylesports. He should have beat Barney last year in the last 16 but i reckon his capable of beating Barney this year,there scheduled to meet in the quarter finals if they both win their first 3 rounds. Baxter is also gunning for a place in the Premier League so i reckon he's going to go all out to reach the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Yep as King says Steve Beaton is too often Steave Beaten when the cameras are rolling at the big events. I'd also be wary of Baxter who has often flattered only to deceive. He has had a great summer but seems to have mostly lost form again recently. I backed Mervyn King many months ago but as he is now seeded 5 and is due to meet Taylor I believe in the semis that bet seems well f****d.
    I made a nice few bob last year by backing games as they came up and sometimes in running as I found Boylesports were'nt as well informed on some players recent form or as quick as I thought they might have been during matches themselves so will try that again.
    But theres only one going to be winner at the Pally

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭501darts

Mark Walsh or Alan Tabern.... not major players but very good consistency, it could be time for one or the other to shine on the big stage .... I also wouldnt write off Paul Nicholson, he aint in bad form at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭docmartin

so after the draw who is the value bet?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

‘Bring on Barney’. That’s the message from Brendan Dolan ahead of next week’s £1m Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship at Alexandra Palace in London.

The County Fermanagh thrower takes on Tony ‘The Viper’ Eccles in the first round — with the winner likely to face four-times World champion Raymond van Barneveld in round two.
    “Tony Eccles is a good player so it’s a tough draw — but it could have been a lot worse,” admitted Dolan.
    “I have never played him before, but he’s not seeded for nothing so I know how difficult it will be. He’s been very consistent over the years so he will be a hard man to beat.”
    ‘Barney’ is expected to have little trouble against New Zealand’s Warren Parry in the opening round and the Dutchman would then start as hot favourite against Dolan or Eccles.
    “Barney should get through that one and it would be great to get a crack at him. I’ve played him once before — a couple of years ago in a players’ tournament in Dublin — and he beat me. So it would be nice to get a chance of revenge,” said Dolan, no stranger to darts’ biggest names.
    The Belcoo arrow artist lost to the great Phil ‘The Power’ Taylor in an event in Germany just two weeks ago and fell at the first hurdle of the World Grand Prix in Dublin in October to the 14 times World champion.
    He said: “Phil Taylor is quite simply far better than anybody else.
    “His consistency level is outstanding, although he can be beaten on the day, but no-one is as dominant.
    “He has a hunger and desire that are unmatched, not only in darts, but possibly in any other sport.”
    The tournament starts next Friday, when Taylor begins his quest for World title number 15 against fellow Englishman Colin Monk.
    Dolan, who lost to World number three James Wade in last year’s first round, travels to London next Friday and tackles Eccles on Sunday afternoon.
    And the painter and decorator is hopeful that a good showing at
    ‘Ally Pally’ could open the door to a full-time career in the sport.
    “I’m lucky enough to work with my two brothers so it’s not a problem getting time off to play darts, but it would be great to be able to concentrate all my efforts on the game,” said Doland.
    “My brothers play darts as well so they understand what it’s like..
    “I plan to maybe only work on Monday and Tuesday next week and then really step up the practice for the rest of the week.”
    Dolan’s near neighbour Aodhagan O’Neill — from Co Cavan — is in action tomorrow week in a preliminary round against South Africa’s Les Francis, with the winner then coming up against World number 10 Adrian Lewis in the opening round.
    Dolan, the current World number 45, added: “I practice with Aodhagan and he’s a top class player.
    “I would fancy him to win his preliminary round and after that who knows how far he can go.”
    They love their nicknames in darts and Dolan is no different as he throws under the moniker of ‘The Carrontreemall Kid’.
    “Carrontreemall is my local townland in Fermanagh, but I’m certainly no kid!” laughed the 36-year-old, who has no particular walk-on music planned for his World Championship tilt.
    “Basically the organisers select the music — even if you pick a tune you might not get it.
    “I think it’s something to do with who owns the rights, that type of thing.
    “But I’m not bothered about the music — I’m just glad to be there!”

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/other-sports/brendan-planning-battle-with-van-barneveld-14594536.html#ixzz0ZQ0pmU0q

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jay.cymru

taylors gonna win it and fair f##ks if he does he deserves he puts the most effort in so u get out what u put in but id love to see lewis win it and i think/hope he has a chance!! :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

Lewis a great darts talent but too immature to win it..

Still however his 164 check out against van gerwin in my opinion is the best checkout I ever saw. 57 57 BULL to win.

Anyone know where to find the draw online so that I can see who is on what side of draw....or more importantly...who is not on Taylor's side of draw?

I can't find nothing :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Devastator wrote: »
    Anyone know where to find the draw online so that I can see who is on what side of draw....or more importantly...who is not on Taylor's side of draw?

I can't find nothing :confused:
    Draw Bracket

(1) Phil Taylor –v- Colin Monk
    (32) Roland Scholten –v- Steve Hine
    (16) Robert Thornton –v- Per Laursen/Christian Perez
    (17) Wayne Mardle –v- Jyhan Artut
    (8) Adrian Lewis –v- Aodhagan O'Neill/Les Francis
    (25) Wes Newton–v- Jarkko Komula/Roman Konchikov
    (9) Dennis Priestley –v- Kevin McDine
    (24) Jelle Klaasen –v- Barrie Bates
    (5) Mervyn King –v- Matt Clark
    (28) Co Stompe –v- Steve Maish
    (12) Alan Tabern –v- Ken MacNeil/Norman Madhoo
    (21) Mark Dudbridge –v- Andree Welge
    (4) John Part –v- Toon Greebe
    (29) Kirk Shepherd –v- Scott Burnett
    (13) Mark Walsh –v- Mark Webster
    (20) Peter Manley –v- Andy Jenkins
    (2) Raymond van Barneveld –v- Warren Parry
    (31) Tony Eccles –v- Brendan Dolan
    (15) Kevin Painter –v- Mensur Suljovic
    (18) Vincent van der Voort –v- Dylan Duo
    (7) Ronnie Baxter –v- Haruki Muramatsu/Krzysztof Kciuk
    (26) Jamie Caven –v- Gary Anderson
    (10) Colin Lloyd –v- Magnus Caris/Francisco Ruiz
    (23) Denis Ovens –v- Tomas Seyler/Shi Yongsheng
    (6) Terry Jenkins –v- Paul Nicholson
    (27) Andy Smith –v- Darin Young
    (11) Colin Osborne –v- Simon Whitlock
    (22) Wayne Jones –v- Alex Roy
    (3) James Wade –v- Steve Brown
    (30) Michael van Gerwen –v- Peter Wright
    (14) Andy Hamilton –v- Phillip Hazel/Osmann Kijamet
    (19) Steve Beaton –v- Carlos Rodriguez

• Advertisement

thanks for that

Time to start looking at few each way tournament bets(from the bottom section)

Kirk shepperd and scott burnett the tie of the round surely
    Andy Smith v darrin young.or weird al yankovic v garth brooks in the walk ons

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Draw Bracket

(1) Phil Taylor –v- Colin Monk
    (32) Roland Scholten –v- Steve Hine
    (16) Robert Thornton –v- Per Laursen/Christian Perez
    (17) Wayne Mardle –v- Jyhan Artut
    (8) Adrian Lewis –v- Aodhagan O'Neill/Les Francis
    (25) Wes Newton–v- Jarkko Komula/Roman Konchikov
    (9) Dennis Priestley –v- Kevin McDine
    (24) Jelle Klaasen –v- Barrie Bates
    (5) Mervyn King –v- Matt Clark
    (28) Co Stompe –v- Steve Maish
    (12) Alan Tabern –v- Ken MacNeil/Norman Madhoo
    (21) Mark Dudbridge –v- Andree Welge
    (4) John Part –v- Toon Greebe
    (29) Kirk Shepherd –v- Scott Burnett
    (13) Mark Walsh –v- Mark Webster
    (20) Peter Manley –v- Andy Jenkins
    a few possible upsets ill try and predict

jarkko to beat roman. then newton
    Bates to beat klaasen
    Maish to beat stompe
    walsh to beat webster - if you can call it that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Dartgod

CHINESE qualifier Shi Yongsheng has withdrawn from the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship.

Yongsheng, 39, recently qualified for a fourth successive World Championship via the Chinese National Championships.

However, he has been unable to receive a Visa to travel to the UK, and as such has been forced to withdraw from the tournament, which begins on Friday.

His place in the field will be taken by Dutch left-hander Jan van der Rassel, who was the next non-qualified player from the Players Championship Order of Merit.

Van der Rassel, who has qualified for four previous World Championships, had originally missed out to Alex Roy and Carlos Rodriguez on a count-back after the trio finished 2009 level on £5,400 prize money.

He will take on Germany's Tomas Seyler in the preliminary round on Tuesday, with the winner going on to meet Denis Ovens in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

World Championship upon us again!. Ok im going out on a limb and predicting a player called Phil Taylor to have a deep run, maybe even get to the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Dartgod wrote: »
    CHINESE qualifier Shi Yongsheng has withdrawn from the Ladbrokes.com World Darts Championship.

Yongsheng, 39, recently qualified for a fourth successive World Championship via the Chinese National Championships.

However, he has been unable to receive a Visa to travel to the UK, and as such has been forced to withdraw from the tournament, which begins on Friday.

His place in the field will be taken by Dutch left-hander Jan van der Rassel, who was the next non-qualified player from the Players Championship Order of Merit.

Van der Rassel, who has qualified for four previous World Championships, had originally missed out to Alex Roy and Carlos Rodriguez on a count-back after the trio finished 2009 level on £5,400 prize money.

He will take on Germany's Tomas Seyler in the preliminary round on Tuesday, with the winner going on to meet Denis Ovens in the first round.
    Its amazing how when the same thing happened last year to the Indian qualifier they picked a wildcard (Anastacia Dobromyslova) instead of going back to the next non-qualified player from the players champs order of merit (Mick Mcgowan) like they have this year:rolleyes:Suppose its whatever suits the PDC

• Registered Users Posts: 9,447 ✭✭✭weisses

The dutch will rule this year :cool: :cool: ...

Christmas starts tomorrow. I will be doing absolutely nothing except watching darts for the next 2 weeks :)

Christmas starts tomorrow. I will be doing absolutely nothing except watching darts for the next 2 weeks :)

3 weeks if you count the bdo.its the most wonderful ......etc etc.

• Advertisement

My bets:

Whitlock 66/1
    Jenkins 33/1
    Painter 80/1
    Part 100/1

Have stayed in the opposite side of the draw to Taylor apart from Part whom i always have a small bet on.... Think Wade and Barnevald are beatable and the players above are the players likely to do it IMO. I would love to back Gary Anderson but his price really is too short at 14/1.

Will concentrate more on match betting this year. Will post up my picks for tonight later.

Advertisement