Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Colds

Options
  • 01-12-2009 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭

How do I explain to my female woman that her feeble womanly mind and body wouldn't be able to cope with a Man Cold?

She thinks I'm exaggerating, but a Man Cold is worse than pneumonia.

My heads all stuffy, nose is blocked, throats all scratchy, its only starting Man Cold, but it'll swiftly decend into a full blown Man Cold if I'm not careful.

Currently, swigging Lemsips, munching Vit C tablets, and going to eat a bastid hot curry later to see if I can sweat the damn thing out of me.

Silly wimmenz.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

How do I explain to my female woman that her feeble womanly mind and body wouldn't be able to cope with a Man Cold?

My heads all stuffy, nose is blocked, throats all scratchy, its only starting Man Cold, but it'll swiftly decend into a full blown Man Cold if I'm not careful.

Currently, swigging Lemsips, munching Vit C tablets, and going to eat a bastid hot curry later to see if I can sweat the damn thing out of me.

Silly wimmenz.

Ya Poor Divil, go and get yourself a bottle of Jemason and have a few hot whiskey's then you won't be able to understand her very well so that would be kind of a cure.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Tell her it is all relative.

The average man is generally bigger than his wimmins. Therefore, any illness or condition caught by said man is going to have a greater impact.

Ergo, manflu is always going to be much, much worse than womanflu, simply due to the laws of physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

lads always moan, groan and complain when they are sick.

They think they are going to die!

women just get on with it -even if were dying! (ok, so maybe not if were REALLY sick!)

but come on, pop a couple of tabs and you will be fine! uniflu, lemsip etc...

it really is a fact....guys DO NOT make good paients!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Kormeera X wrote: »
    lads always moan, groan and complain when they are sick.

They think they are going to die!

women just get on with it -even if were dying! (ok, so maybe not if were REALLY sick!)

but come on, pop a couple of tabs and you will be fine! uniflu, lemsip etc...

it really is a fact....guys DO NOT make good paients!! :D

Hmmmm... As a man who last missed a day of work/school for sickness when i was in Transition year (over 10 years ago), this topic grates on me a lot.

I find women equally as likely as men to exaggerate an illness. Maybe it's just the women that have gravitated through my life have been hypochondriacs or just complainers but it seems a big coincidence. I also currently live in a society where females are legally allowed to take 1 uncertified sick day per calender month on top of general sick leave allowances and use one word of explanation - period.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

This man flu thing pisses me off also. I got the flu before christmas, not a cold but the flu as confirmed by a doctor which I went to as my workplace were terified I had swine flu and wanted a note. Midway during the second week of having the flu I got an infection and had two wisdom teeth removed. I kept going to work as I am contracted and could not afford to loose the pay before christmas to a point where they asked me not to come in for a few days and they would pay me (inconsiderate on my behalf you may think but I'm the sole working member of a small family). A friend of a friend called to see my wife and quite seriously told me to cop the hell on its only the man flu and they she currently had the flu and there was not a bother on her. I think if there is not a bother with her they maybe.....just maybe she is not sick at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Silly wimmenz.

Here are all the answers:

http://manflu.info/index.html

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What the hell is man flu? I mean... it is a piss take right? You are referring to the common cold?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

BossArky wrote: »
    What the hell is man flu? I mean... it is a piss take right? You are referring to the common cold?

You've never had the manflu? I envy your innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

BossArky wrote: »

no no.. anybody can get the common cold.. hence its name .... even wimmin...
    only men can get the Manflu..... makes the commoncold look like a walk in the park

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭tattoo man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

http://www.imt.ie/blogs/irish-Medical-Times-Blog/2010/03/man-flu-is-real-redemption-at.html

Apparently it is real! Irish feckin Medical Times ftw, wohoo!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

I just came on to let people know this too!

Hah, take that wimmenz. Don't see any diseases named after you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TishTosh_Tasha

Hah, take that wimmenz. Don't see any diseases named after you!

Lol @ you lads! Why would we want diseases and such named after us?
    Just cos us girls dont whine and moan about it. How would you all cope with the monthlys? You get ill once a year and yr dying!

Its called Man Flu for the same reasons its called Swine Flu, and Bovine Flatulence........the similarities are there :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭deadbloke

I also currently live in a society where females are legally allowed to take 1 uncertified sick day per calender month on top of general sick leave allowances and use one word of explanation - period.

What society is this? Tell me this isn't a law...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

It's scientifically proven that man flu is worse than woman flu... it's down to our natural instincts apparently...

when women get sick all their immune systems start to beef up basically because their bodies are thinking about being in the best possible condition in case they have to bear children basically so their bodies put getting better at the top of the list...

however men's bodies don't react the same as producing sperm isn't affected by man flu so men's bodies don't see the same need to get better and therefore

MANFLU IS SO MUCH WORSE THAN WOMEN FLU PROVEN :D:D:cool::cool:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Mythbusters showed that women tolerate pain better than men.

Also the 1918 pandemic killed a disproportionate number of young fit men than you would expect. Better not to take chances.

Advertisement