Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is cava vegetarian friendly?

Options
  • 30-11-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Not sure if this should be here or in beer/wine/spirits.

The only alcohol I enjoy drinking is ice cold cava. I've just realised though that it may not be vegetarian friendly!

Anyone got any idea?

I mostly drink the brut cava prestige from M & S (which as it turns out is suitable for vegetarians), or maybe the tesco finest stuff at a push, or anything that I can get my grubby little mitts on if I'm honest :)

What happens though if it doesn't state it on the back label that it's suitable for veggies? Should I assume it's not veggie suitable if it doesn't state it specifically? What on earth could be in a bottle of cava that came from an animal?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

tbh I'm not familiar with cava and can't find them on http://www.barnivore.com/ if the label says nothing, it could be either. if in doubt, email companies. nice to know that m+s label it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

puppy cat wrote: »
    Not sure if this should be here or in beer/wine/spirits.

The only alcohol I enjoy drinking is ice cold cava. I've just realised though that it may not be vegetarian friendly!

Anyone got any idea?

I mostly drink the brut cava prestige from M & S (which as it turns out is suitable for vegetarians), or maybe the tesco finest stuff at a push, or anything that I can get my grubby little mitts on if I'm honest :)

Both Tesco & M&S are great at labelling whether their wines etc. are veggie (and even vegan, betimes). The Co-Op in the U.K. are excellent but apparently in Europe, it's frowned upon to give away any 'ingredients' details other than allergen advice!
    What happens though if it doesn't state it on the back label that it's suitable for veggies? Should I assume it's not veggie suitable if it doesn't state it specifically? What on earth could be in a bottle of cava that came from an animal?? :confused:
    If it's either M&S or Tesco own brands and it doesn't say on the label then that's a no. For all other wines, etc., you need to consult barnivore, etc. (stickied), otherwise you need to contact the importer/wine producer.

Oh, and just because this years vintage is veggie, it doesn't necessary follow that the previous years vintage or the following years vintage will be veggie too. It's all down to the fining part of the process of winemaking, where a fining agent is dropped into the wine to congeal around "juicy bits", sediment, etc., thereby making them easier to remove.
    There are vegan fining agents (like bentonite), veggie but not vegan (egg white) or the most commonly, isinglass (the swim bladder of the poor old sturgeon is made of a particularly pure form of gelatine) or gelatine itself.
    While bentonite might work one year, the following years harvest might not be good quality and the winemaker might decide to remove excess tannins with isinglass. That's why you have to check on a yearly basis.

I know, pain in the @rse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

There are vegan fining agents (like bentonite), veggie but not vegan (egg white) or the most commonly, isinglass (the swim bladder of the poor old sturgeon is made of a particularly pure form of gelatine) or gelatine itself.
    While bentonite might work one year, the following years harvest might not be good quality and the winemaker might decide to remove excess tannins with isinglass. That's why you have to check on a yearly basis.

I know, pain in the @rse.

well described! never understood all that before. thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Hi, I just found this thread on Bargain Alerts and thought of you;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719881

It's a couple of months old but judging from the stuff at the end, it looks like the offer is back/still on. 'Might as well stock up now...suggest it as a recession busting pressie :D

As the equivalent offer seems to be finishing tomorrow in Belfast, I'd get yer skates on, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭puppy cat

Hi, I just found this thread on Bargain Alerts and thought of you;

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055719881

It's a couple of months old but judging from the stuff at the end, it looks like the offer is back/still on. 'Might as well stock up now...suggest it as a recession busting pressie :D

As the equivalent offer seems to be finishing tomorrow in Belfast, I'd get yer skates on, though!

I'm waaaaaay ahead of you there! Been there, done that and bought waaaaay too many bottles of cava :D

I'm still perplexed as to how alcohol could possibly not be suitable for vegetarians, very weird....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

sorry I thought you wrote "Is Cavan Vegetarian friendly?"

well I'm not sure about cava but cavan definately is not. on crossing the boarded you are given a fresh ham and a local Garda officer will kick a puppy of your chosing.

Cavan actually has its own island of hari khrishna's /Said the clearly not insulted redneck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Is this the same cava as in Fiji cava that u refer to??? Hallucinogenic stuff!!!!

Sorry - cant answer if its vegan or not, I only know 'Cava is a drink made from the powdered root of a tree mixed with water and is meant to act as a mild hallucinogenic'!!!!

Advertisement