Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VEGAN CHINESE?

Options
  • 27-11-2009 3:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Does anybody know if take away curry sauce is vegan??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

can you not just ask the take-away? i'm not big into curries, so can't help you.

Oh, but your title doesn't make sense if it's about curry sauce!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jessyd88

I am actually living in australia right now but coming to dublin next week for seven weeks. I love curry sauce and ate it pre vegan but i am not sure...i wanted to know, but not quite worth the long distance phone call haha

I will prob just ask them to make sure but just wondered if anybody knew..

=)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It'll probably differ from place to place, do they all use powdered curry? What might be in it? evaporated milk and in non powdered, yoghurt? Think most are vegan, but not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Most should be vegan, any that I've asked are, but I've heard that some use fish/meat stock to make up their sauces. Then again, I think we've all heard mad stories about what they put in some of their dishes....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

curry sauce from chinese take aways isn't even that nice, why not try an indian?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jessyd88

thanks for replying :)

I figured they could use milk powder or something and as you say, you never know what they put in things or consider 'vegan'

I love indian curry too but the reason i wanted to know about the chinese was you cant get it in australia and i miss it...in saying that, i will probably eat it after three years and it wont live up to my expectations :P

• Registered Users Posts: 39,093 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

There is oil in it, it may be animal based

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

curry sauce from chinese take aways isn't even that nice, why not try an indian?
    They are completely different to each other though, its like saying "ketchup is not even that nice, try some mayo/brown sauce", I know people who only like chinese curry sauce. Takeaway chinese curry sauce is very distinct and the most similar that I have tasted by far is benson's curry sauce. You can get it in dunnes or supervalu, not with the curry sauces though! it is with the gravies as it is a semi dry mix you have to boil up. It will probably keep well because of this, a small tub makes over a litre.

There was a thread about it in which I said....

Ingredients are quite basic so you could try your own. They list ingredients in order of greatest first, then you can use the nutritional values to further guess amounts.

Ingredients: plain flour, veg oil, tomato paste, salt, sugar, MSG, creamed coconut, chilli powder, onion powder.
    (this is bensons so I presume it is vegan, not sure of the MSG?)

per 100g
    Protein 7.68g
    carbs 51g
    fat 19.1g

So the veg oil will be the fat, (and some of the coconut), so ~20% oil. Carbs will be the flour and sugar, so probably 50% flour. You can get MSG in asian stores, I would just use onions instead of onion powder. If anybody knows where to get onion powder (not onion salt) please let me know, I have never seen it

http://blogs.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=62137677#post62137677

Advertisement