Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic Sky subscription - Can I record with DVR

Options
  • 27-11-2009 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭

OK. Here's the story...

A mate of mine has a satellite dish in his place in Portugal
    He receives Sky (basic channels) no problem using his viewing card and a Sky box. He is wondering

a. Can he connect a Sky+ box to this and record programmes? Is there such a thing as a Sky subscription and a Sky+ subscription??

b. He is trialling a tv/internet service out there called Meo and part of the deal is a STP from Meo which is a DVR, but from what I gather, its NOT satellite. Can he record Sky on THIS DVR any way??

Sorry if the questions are a bit vague, but I'm not 100% on sat/dvr's etc and I tried a search but couldnt really find anything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You can get the card paired to a sky + box which will allow him to record. However he will need a second cable to be brought in to allow the full functionality of the sky plus. 1 is needed..to view and the second allows you to record..

With the one feed he will only be able to watch whatever he is watching.

Sky has introduced some security macros which they deny that contains macrovision and because of this many DVD recorders will not record correctly or if they do the picture is not visible or is in black and white etc..so its a hard one to call.

He will need to hide his phone id to re-pair the sky card to the sky+ box.

Sky + subcription no longer cost any more per month...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭Mad_Mike

Oops! Never saw this reply steveon
    Anyway, he left it at the time and was back asking again today, so I passed on the info. He reckons there is a dual LNB fitted already, so if he picks up a Sky+ box, I'd say he will be sorted.

Thanks again for replying

Advertisement