Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan/Vegetarian food in airports

Options
  • 25-11-2009 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭

So I thought it might be a good idea to share our experiences of how easy or hard it is to get vegan or vegetarian food in airports. Nowadays, most people travel quite a bit, so I think it's good to know when you will be able to get food and when you will have to be a bit more prepared. My experiences of various airports are as follows:

London Stansted: Amazing! They have this Italian-ish restaurant called Frankie's and Benny's that has an absolutely huge menu, their penne all'arrabiatta is vegan and there were many other things on the menu that looked like they might have been too. They fry their fries separate from everything else so they are also veggie-friendly. And it was delicious! Also, they let you order your bill with your food so it's ideal if you're in a rush. I also had no problem finding vegan crisps elsewhere in the airport.

London Heathrow: In my experience, not good. For a short while, WH Smith had AMAZING vegan sandwiches (with hummus, peppers, carrots, etc) but they're gone now. If you have to spend any length of time in Heathrow, don't count on being able to get food.

Dublin: Not the worst. At the big food court-ish place, you can at least get vegetables, and if you're not a vegan, there are other things like omelettes.

Keflavik (Iceland): Pretty good! They have a huge salad bar kind of thing with lots of interesting different food.

That's about all I can think of right now, hopefully others have experiences they can share!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭haven27

Since I've been in Oslo airport a lot said I'd post this:

Oslo Airport, Gardermoen - the main thing to watch out for here and is Norway is the cheese, all hard cheeses will contain rennet (even the packaged vegetarian sandwiches available at the airport which made me laugh) - Ost is cheese and rennet is Løpe. If it's veggie will say mikrobiell løpe.

Anyway in the airport you can get food, the shops have a bakery, there's a sandwich place where they might make something up but Norwegians just aren't prepared for veggies or vegans. I just wouldn't go to this airport starving expecting to be fed something nice.

I can't remember what is in Oslo Thorp in terms of food but since it's a small mainly Ryanair airport I'd say there's even less range.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

-lala- wrote: »
    London Heathrow: In my experience, not good. For a short while, WH Smith had AMAZING vegan sandwiches (with hummus, peppers, carrots, etc) but they're gone now. If you have to spend any length of time in Heathrow, don't count on being able to get food.

It all depends which terminal you are talking about.

I was in Terminal 1 at the weekend and I found it pretty good. There was those Fresh brand of sandwhiches available in Boots, and some of their range is vegan. There is also a Wetherspoons there that does a Sweet Potato Curry that even says on the menu to order it with extra Popadoms instead of Nann Bread if you are vegan. And the Costa coffee always has soya milk.

Theres a few other resturants there that I've never tried so there may be more options!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

Vegan options at Dublin Airport

Boots - Bugsy sandwich. Its hummous and carrot. Although not always available. Its on the meal deal so if you can get it then you can also pick up a packet of crisps and a drink - sorry cant remember the price.

Starbucks - Have the usual drinks and soya milk and also have a falafel panni which is marked as suitable for vegetarians but from the ingredients and allergy list seems to be also vegan. I checked on veganforum and it would seem that this is vegan.

Soho - claim to have soya milk but after I asked a few times and was looked at like I had 2 heads I stopped asking. I have only once seen a hummous sandwich in there - and I am at the airport a lot! They do have jacket pots though but I have never investigated this. They have a vegi chilli filling but I dont know the veganess of this product. Not too sure if they do beans but you could have one with no butter and beans (check beans though for cow juice).

I dont go up to the food court bit as I once asked for a panni to be made up with a few bits of salad and got charged €6 for the privilage! Although they do have salty dog crisps up there mmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sweetoblivion

There's a place called Giraffe in Heathrow that does a gorgeous veggie breakfast - the veggie sausages are unreal! I'm not sure if they are vegan though so you'd have to check that. They also do smoothies and juices etc.

Advertisement